Solar pool covers were designed to help in heating your pool with the heat from the sun. They also cover the entire water surface of your pool when you are not using it.
However, these covers come in different mil or gauge and knowing the best option for your pool can be a daunting task. That’s why we have looked at 12 mil vs 16 mil solar pool covers in this article.
Table of Contents
- 1 12 Mil vs 16 Mil Solar Pool Cover Tips
- 2 12 Mil vs 16 Mil Solar Cover/Blanket Reviews 2019
- 2.1 Blue Wave NS480 12-mil Solar Blanket
- 2.2 Sun2Solar Blue 16 ft. by 40ft. 12-mil Rectangle Solar Cover
- 2.3 In The Swim 12-mil 16 x 32 ft. Rectangle Swimming Pool Solar Blanket Cover
- 2.4 Harris 16-mil 16 ft. x 32 ft. Rectangle Solar Cover
- 2.5 In The Swim 16-mil 16 x 32 ft. Ultra Clear Rectangle Swimming Pool Solar Blanket Cover
- 2.6 Sun2Solar 16-mil 18 ft. x 36 ft. Rectangle Clear Solar Cover
- 2.7 MidWest Canvas Clear Diamond 16-mil 20 ft. x 40 ft. Rectangle Solar Cover
- 3 Conclusion
12 Mil vs 16 Mil Solar Pool Cover Tips
Here are a few tips for solar pool cover:
- Ensure that you use a solar pool cover reel when installing and removing your pool cover.
- Ensure that your reel is ideal for the weight of the cover. For instance, if you upgrade to a 16 mil from a 12 mil, make sure that your reel can handle the new weight.
- Use a 16 mil solar cover in cold places for heat retention and better durability.
- A 12 mil cover is better at warming your pool in sunny places but isn’t durable.
- Aluminized pool covers are quite durable but not effective during the day.
- Ensure that you buy a cover that has a warranty.
12 Mil vs 16 Mil Solar Cover/Blanket Reviews 2019
Here is a review of the top 12 mils and 16 mils solar pool covers on the market today:
Blue Wave NS480 12-mil Solar Blanket
Heat your swimming pool faster with NS480 12-mil Solar Blanket for round above-ground pools from Blue Wave. Each cover has air bubbles that function as an insulating blanket, shielding your facility from nighttime and wind cooling.
These bubbles also amplify the sun’s rays, keeping your pool warm even on cool nights and cloudy days. The cover is also UV-protected and comes with a 5 years warranty.
Sun2Solar Blue 16 ft. by 40ft. 12-mil Rectangle Solar Cover
This 12-mil rectangle solar cover from Sun2Solar was made for both the in-ground and above-ground swimming pools. It is made from a layer of thousands of small bubbles, which collect and retain the sun’s heat both on chilly days and cold nights.
The cover also reduces water evaporation by 95% to ensure that you fill up your facility less while you enjoy more.
In The Swim 12-mil 16 x 32 ft. Rectangle Swimming Pool Solar Blanket Cover
In The Swim 12-mil pool cover is another effective blanket that is ideal for irregularly, oval, and kidney-shaped pools. The cover is made of UV-stabilized resin with hundreds of small air bubbles that transfer solar warmth into your pool.
This amazing cover also helps to prevent evaporation, reducing water and chemical loss to save you chemical rebalancing cost. The cover comes with a 7 years warranty.
Harris 16-mil 16 ft. x 32 ft. Rectangle Solar Cover
The Harris 16-mil rectangle solar cover provides fantastic heat retention for your swimming pool. It increases your pool temperature by at least 15 degrees and prevents pool water and chemicals loss through evaporation.
Easy to install, the cover allows the sun’s ray to heat the surface of your pool in water to prevent algae development and warm it faster.
In The Swim 16-mil 16 x 32 ft. Ultra Clear Rectangle Swimming Pool Solar Blanket Cover
This 16-mil solar blanket is yet another pool cover from the In The Swim that is made from UV-stabilized resin. The cover also features an aluminized bottom cover that transfers heat better and you can cut it to fit irregular, oval, and kidney-shaped pools.
Like most covers, it reduces chemical loss via evaporation and comes with an 8 years warranty.
Sun2Solar 16-mil 18 ft. x 36 ft. Rectangle Clear Solar Cover
Another pool cover that has made it in our list is the Sun2Solar 16-mil pool cover. It features a film of tiny bubbles which gather the heat and also retain it during the cold days and nights.
The cover also minimizes water evaporation by 95% to ensure that you fill up your facility less often while you enjoy more.
MidWest Canvas Clear Diamond 16-mil 20 ft. x 40 ft. Rectangle Solar Cover
The diamond pattern of the MidWest 16-mil pool cover contains more bubbles per sq. ft. than other blankets out there. That makes it the ideal choice for heating your swimming pool.
The cover also reduces evaporation by 95%, retains sun’s heat, and shields off debris from falling into your pool. You can easily trim this cover to fit any kind of a pool.
When looking at the 12 mil vs 16 mil solar pool cover argument, you should note that they differ in two main areas: weight and durability. The 16 mil is a bit heavier and lasts longer than the 12 mil pool cover. They all cover the pool and prevent debris from entering it when not in use.