UPDATED: Jan 01, 2020.
Having an above ground pool makes holidays and special occasions that much sweeter. Nothing beats relaxing in a warm InTex pool to cool the heat of the day and while it can be a heavenly experience the cleaning isn’t as inviting.
Vacuums are a must have for InTex and other popular brands of above ground pools. Selecting the right one can make quick work of the task but which are the best above ground vacuums on the market for 2020? Take your pick from this high performing top 10 lists.
At a Glance: Our 10 Choices for Best Above Ground Pool Vacuums to Feature in This Article:
- Hayward Aquabug Above-Ground Pool Cleaner (Top Pick)
- POOLWHALE Automatic Pool Vacuum Cleaner (Top Rate)
- Hayward Above-Ground Pool Cleaner (Editor Choice)
- Bestway AquaDip Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- Zodiac Baracuda Pool Cleaner Vacuum Suction
- 1 Top 10 Above Ground Pool Vacuums
- 1.1 Hayward Aquabug Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1.2 POOLWHALE Professional Automatic Swimming Pool Vacuum Cleaner
- 1.3 Hayward 100 Penguin Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1.4 Bestway AquaDip Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- 1.5 New in/Above Ground Zodiac Baracuda Style Automatic Swimming Pool Cleaner Vacuum Suction
- 1.6 Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 1.7 Aquabot Pool Rover (Junior)
- 1.8 XtremepowerUS Suction Climb Wall Pool Cleaner
- 1.9 Aquabot Pool Rover (BLUE)
- 1.10 Intex Pool Cleaner (Above Ground)
- 1.11 Zodiac Polaris Turtle Pool Cleaner
- 1.12 VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 1.13 Aquabot X4 above ground pool vacuum
- 1.14 Pentair Kreepy Krauly E-Z Suction Pool Cleaner (Blue/White)
- 1.15 INTEY Pool Cleaner Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- 2 Quick Tips to Choose the Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
- 3 Conclusion
Top 10 Above Ground Pool Vacuums
These selections feature heavy duty high-quality designs that are built to last. They are cost effective and come with a variety of features that will make your pool cleaning a joy.
Hayward Aquabug Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- It is easy to set up with very few parts needed to run efficiently.
- Replacement parts are easy to get and affordable.
- This vacuum fine filters leaving your pool free of dirt and grime.
- There is a possibility your pool liner can be torn by this device.
- It may malfunction due to faulty parts.
The Hayward aquabug above cleaner works well in pools of any shape and size without skipping spots. Installation is quick and easy with an estimated set up time of under 10 minutes. This above ground pool cleaner works best on permanently installed pools.
POOLWHALE Professional Automatic Swimming Pool Vacuum Cleaner
- All it needs is 0.33HP at minimum to operate
- Deflator wheel prevents collision with the wall
- 14 pool hoses make it possible to clean pools of all sizes
- It gets stuck very often
- The instructions are hard to follow
POOLWHALE professional automatic swimming pool vacuum cleaner is meant for those who prefer a quiet operating cleaner. It works well on in-ground and above-ground pools. Just hook it up with a 1/3 HP pump and it’s ready to operate.
The cleaner comes with 14 pieces of free hoses. The upgrading hose provided is scuff-resistant and highly durable. It doesn’t cause leaks or gets disconnected because of a higher HP. The hoses will aid you in tackling larger pool cleaning tasks. Feel free to store the rest of the hoses and use them whenever a replacement is needed.
It does a great job cleaning the floors and walls of the pool. It will remove debris, dirt, sand, leaves, twigs, and pebbles.
Hayward 100 Penguin Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- It’s simple and ready to use
- It navigates around the entire pool to do its job
- Comes in 3 customizable designs
- It moves around very slowly
- The suction is not powerful enough for large pools
Hayward 100 Penguin pool cleaner is built on the smart drive steering system to cover the entire pool and let you clean it faster. It cleans the flat bottom and dishes out the floor in less than 2 hours. All it takes is plugging the vacuum hose into the skimmer and it will start working automatically.
The vacuum cleaner comes with 3 interchangeable color combination kits to let you personalize the cleaner. It targets leaves, grass, seeds, bugs, and dirt from the pool leaving the water crystal clear for you.
It also improves the water circulation in the pool by pulling water from the bottom. No tools are required to assemble it.
Bestway AquaDip Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- It works with 1500 GHP or higher
- Connects to the skimmer and starts working automatically
- It does not create noise
- It’s a little tricky to work with
- Suction is quite low
Bestway AquaDip Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum is designed to clean above ground pools. It operates with 1500 GHP filtration pumps. Higher power is also supported. It’s very easy to use for pool maintenance.
To get started, you simply have to attach AquaDip to your wall skimmer and it will start going its job automatically. It’s equipped with the membrane suction technology to ensure silent operation and maximum cleaning efficiency.
If the diaphragm needs change, simply twist and open the cassette and replace it. The vacuum can handle both hard and soft walls. With AquaDip by your side, you don’t have to worry about cleaning your pool in summer.
New in/Above Ground Zodiac Baracuda Style Automatic Swimming Pool Cleaner Vacuum Suction
- Needs 1600 GA/H or 1.5 HP to operate
- It’s ideal for those who want quiet pool cleaners
- No assembly is required. it’s ready to use
- It gets stuck in one place
- It can break if you use it to perform a job above its capacity
This pool vacuum cleaner is designed for those who want a quiet operation. It works well just like Baracuda G3 and G2. It is suitable for cleaning above ground and in-ground pools.
It’s time to stop manual cleaning and connect the Baracuda pool cleaner with the vacuum line or pool skimmer. It thoroughly cleans the floor and walls and gets rid of leaves, sand, bugs, debris, dirt, and pebbles. It no leaves dirt behind.
Baracuda only has one moving part so if the machine ever needs repairs, it won’t cost you a fortune. No tools are required to assemble. It’s already ready to use. It needs 1600 GA/H or 1.5 HP at maximum to start operating. A 30 feet hose is included in the package.
Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner
- The only setup required is attaching the power chord.
- It runs unsupervised freeing up your time for other activities.
- You can use this as often as desired without it wearing out.
- It does not ultra-filter.
- Sleep mode is activated after 90 minutes.
The Dolphin robotic pool cleaner removes dirt and algae using hyperbrush technology. The device is lightweight and provides users with an up to 90 minute cleaning cycle. Its one-year warranty coverage ensures you get the most out of this top-rated purchase.
Aquabot Pool Rover (Junior)
- This vacuum can clean a large pool without skipping spots.
- Replacement filters for this product are sold separately.
- Works well in any shaped pool even those with depth variations.
- The wheel piston can be faulty.
- Quality control on this pool vacuum may be low.
The Aquabot pool rover both vacuums and micro filters dirt, debris, and contaminants found in residential pools. Users have the option of 2 to 3 hour operating times and the power cable supplied with the device is 40 feet long.
XtremepowerUS Suction Climb Wall Pool Cleaner
- This design manages dirt and algae leaving pool spotless.
- It climbs walls on pools of various shapes and alternating depths.
- The life expectancy of this pool vacuum is 1 to 2 years.
- The flapper block may be faulty.
- It does not do steps in the pool.
The XtremepowerUS suction pool cleaner has weighted stabilizers that are used to keep the device balanced while cleaning. The eyeball divert can be used to adjust water flow. Hose length on this device is adjustable which helps to avoid tangling and other performance issues.
Aquabot Pool Rover (BLUE)
- Life expectancy is up to 2 years which is very economical.
- It fine filters which remove objects as small as pollen salt.
- Customer service attached the brand is exceptional.
- The hose can get tangled after a few uses.
- There is no remote control and therefore the device has to be controlled manually.
The Aquabot pool rover can navigate both in the ground and above ground pools. It can filter small particles and up to 80 gallons of water per minute. Each cycle lasts between 1 and 2 hours.
Intex Pool Cleaner (Above Ground)
- Detailed instructions in the product kit makes setup and installation easy.
- It cleans large pools quickly and efficiently without skipping spots.
- This vacuum is designed to work with cohesively your already installed pumps.
- The hose joints can leak air.
- Quality control on this vacuum may be low.
The Intex pool cleaner is designed to work in conjunction with your existing filter pump granted it has a minimum GPH of 1600. Setup can be done in reverse to disconnect, clean and store your device.
Zodiac Polaris Turtle Pool Cleaner
- This design operates on your built-in filtration system.
- It can easily clean a large pool within a 2-hour cycle.
- The pressure adjustment valve allows your set the function of this device to your specific pool.
- Customer service with this brand may be poor.
- Hose storage can have an impact on the efficiency of the vacuum.
The Zodiac Polaris turtle pool cleaner is designed for shallow above ground pools. Not only will this cleaner vacuum the bottom of the pool but it also sweeps the walls and loosens debris.
VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Efficient performance at an affordable price cleaning a full-size pool in just a few hours.
- Replacement parts are readily available through the manufacturer or online.
- This vacuum fully covers your pool including the floors and walls without skipping spots.
- Quality control may be low on this vacuum.
- Odd shaped pools with varying depths may present a challenge to clean.
The Vingli automatic pool cleaner comes with 10 hose sets, a regulator valve and a detailed instruction manual. Issues such as sluggish operation and pattern repetition is addressed and troubleshooted for consumer convenience.
Aquabot X4 above ground pool vacuum
- This design has a micro filter and provides pool owners with heavy-duty performance.
- Each cleaning cycle can run for up to 2 hours.
- It does not get stuck on corners and has easy to replace filters.
- This vacuum may not last longer than 1 year.
- It may be incorrectly packaged being shipped without the instruction manual.
The Aquabot above ground vacuum has two ultra-fine mesh filtration baskets which have the ability to collect large volumes of dirt and debris. It’s easy to clean with an automatic control panel that can be used to set cleaning cycles.
Pentair Kreepy Krauly E-Z Suction Pool Cleaner (Blue/White)
- This selection makes easy work of large pools.
- It vacuums the floor and climbs the walls.
- You can slow down or speed up the operation of this vacuum to adjust cleaning efficiency.
- The cleaning pattern may miss spots in larger pools.
- Its hose tends to tangle while cleaning.
The Pentair pool cleaner is an automatic vacuum that uses random cleaning patterns to free your pool of dirt and debris. It operates well with pools of various shapes and sizes while being powered by your pre-installed filters.
INTEY Pool Cleaner Automatic Suction Pool Vacuum
- The powerful suction gets rid of debris fast
- It’s easy to assemble and use within 5 minutes
- It reaches walls, stairs, and corners as well
- It’s not recommended for above ground pools
- It flips upside down
INTEY is designed to target the stubborn dirt stuck around the color of the pool. It sucks dirt, debris, hair, and other small particles swimming in the pool.
The suction unit has premium rubber disks installed around to offer a wide cleaning path. These disks are made from TPU-680 material. It’s highly elastic and hence the pool cleaning job becomes easier.
The cleaner is suitable for title, concrete, and vinyl pool surfaces. It reaches the walls, steps, floor, and corners of the pool leaving no grime behind. The suction cleaner uses flippers instead of a diaphragm for moving. It’s more powerful and it doesn’t get blocked by debris. 12 pieces of hoses make it easier to clean a larger pool as well.
Quick Tips to Choose the Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
If you want to understand the basics to choosing the a good above ground pool vacuum, consider these tips
Some above ground pool cleaners have a sleek professional design and travel with tracks instead of wheels which gives the device better traction. Other designs take the form of animals such as turtles that make a fun addition to homes with young children. Some selections are manual while others are automated allowing users to set cleaning cycles.
Manual cleaners can pose a challenge when it comes to cycles as these may last for just 1 to 2 hours. Some above ground pool vacuums enter sleep mode after an hour or so and must be restarted and reset after every cleaning cycle.
A cleaner can have an internal pump, however, may are designed to connect to your built-in pool filter. Vacuums connected to pool filters adjust based on the power of your pumps which requires a basic GPH of 1600.
Larger units use cartridges instead of bags to collect debris and can manage loads up to 60% more than regular cleaners. Not all models use micro filters so checking the manufacturer website should confirm the specs of your particular model. Micro filters can manage debris, algae and even fine dust particles leaving your pool clean and clear.
Many units have a minimum 1-year warranty while others offer warranties of up to 5 years. On average, you can expect a pool vacuum to last at minimum an entire year. This makes price an important factor in selection. Although some designs do not last as long as others, due to their low price range they are still more economical than more expensive brands.
In addition to a vacuum, some models also feature a brush that is used to loosen or scrub away had to remove contaminants. Scanners are sometimes used to optimize cleaning patterns and ensure random and efficient coverage of small and large above ground pools.
Cable length is vital when using a cleaner as it can affect the ability of your device to cover the entire pool. Using a cable that is too long is usually the source of a tangled hose which can cause damage to the structure resulting in leakage.
The customer service offered by some of these above ground pool vacuum brands is of very high quality. Customer Service Representatives personally contact consumers before the warranty expiration to ensure their product is in working condition.
Above ground pool vacuums can come in a variety of designs that are well suited to singles as well as families. They take the elbow grease out of cleaning your InTex pool and generally work well with pools of any shape or size. This top ten countdown of the best above ground vacuums to buy in 2020 has something for just about everyone.