UPDATED: Mar 07, 2020.
Whether your New Year’s resolution was to drop a few pounds this year or you simply want to monitor your weight, a bathroom scale is a must have. While many of us dread stepping on the scale, it’s time to put the old notion that the bathroom scale is our enemy behind us. Rather, it’s a helpful tool to monitor our health, progress and keep track of our personal goals.
So, before buying a new scale, let’s take a look at 10 different options and the benefits of each so that you can determine which scale will best meet your needs and keep you on track in 2020 and beyond.
At a Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Bathroom Scales:
- RENPHO Bluetooth Body Fat Scale (Top Pick)
- Etekcity Digital Weight Bathroom Scale (top Rated)
- Etekcity Digital Weight Scale (Editor Choice)
- BalanceFrom Digital Body Weight Scale
- RENPHO Smart Body Fat Scale
- GreaterGoods Digital Weight Bathroom Scale
- Etekcity Smart Body Fat Scale
- Etekcity Digital Body Weight Scale
- ArboLeaf FDA-Approved Weight Scale
- Greater Goods Digital Weight Bathroom Scale
- 1 Top 10 Bathroom Scales for You to Buy
- 1.1 1. RENPHO Bluetooth Body Fat Scale
- 1.2 2. Etekcity Digital Weight Bathroom Scale
- 1.3 3. Etekcity Digital Weight Scale With Step-On Technology
- 1.4 4. BalanceFrom Digital Body Weight Scale
- 1.5 5. RENPHO Smart Body Fat Scale
- 1.6 6. GreaterGoods Digital Body Weight Bathroom Scale
- 1.7 7. Etekcity Smart Body Fat Scale
- 1.8 8. Etekcity Digital Body Weight Scale With Tape Measure
- 1.9 9. ArboLeaf FDA-Approved Weight Scale
- 1.10 10. Greater Goods Digital Body Weight Bathroom Scale
- 2 Quick Buying Tips
- 3 Conclusion
Top 10 Bathroom Scales for You to Buy
In this article, we’re going to take a look at 10 popular bathroom scales. Scales are certainly not new to the market, but there have been many upgrades and innovations in the industry; a scale can tell you much more than how much you weigh. Some digital scales are high-tech, integrated with multiple useful features and functions, and others are more traditional; simply displaying your current weight. Which scale is best for you? Let’s take a look at what’s available.
1. RENPHO Bluetooth Body Fat Scale
- Fully integrated; syncs with Apple Health, Google Fit and Fitbit apps
- Measures weight, BMI, body fat percentage, muscle mass, protein and more
- Bluetooth compatible; results can be tracked on your phone
- Several customers reported weight discrepancies after weighing themselves several times within the span of a few minutes, thus raising questions about the accuracy of the scale
The RENPHO is a high-tech scale that helps you track everything from your weight, BMI, body fat percentage, protein, bone density and more. By downloading an app, the results can be viewed, stored and shared on your smartphone so that you can track your progress.
The large, LED digital display is easy to read, the scale is simple to use, and the auto-calibration feature eliminates the need for pesky adjustments. This particular scale is all about convenience and ease of use, while providing clear, accurate measurements.
Another bonus is that the RENPHO is designed for multiple users. That is, thanks to the app that accompanies the scale, anyone who uses the scale can accurately track and share his or her progress. The results can be shared with the scale’s other users, or they can be kept private.
2. Etekcity Digital Weight Bathroom Scale
- Elegant, transparent tempered glass design, incredibly tough and strong
- Quad stability pad for optimal traction
- Auto-calibration; accurate results within seconds
- Several complaints about the scale not working correctly after several months
The Etekcity is beautifully designed, with clear tempered glass that belies the strength and sturdiness of the scale itself. It would look elegant in virtually any bathroom, whether modern or classic, and is unobtrusive.
Several customers who reviewed the scale reported weighing themselves at home prior to visiting the doctor’s office and getting identical results; a testament to the scale’s precision and accuracy.
This particular scale has over 6,000 customer reviews, the majority of which are enthusiastic and positive. With a fair price, accurate results, and a product that is aesthetically pleasing, the Etekcity is a rare find.
3. Etekcity Digital Weight Scale With Step-On Technology
- Accurately measures weights of up to 400 lbs.
- Includes a body tape measure
- Easy to read backlit LED screen
- Reports of different weight results when the scale is moved to different locations
The Etekcity gets high marks for strength and durability. Some customers initially expressed concerns about the scale’s construction (tempered glass). However, the surface is surprisingly strong and stands up to weights of up to 400 lbs.
The manufacturer is known for exceptional customer service. One customer reported experiencing difficulty with the LED display. Etekcity replaced the scale promptly, at no charge, with no questions asked; a true example of prompt, reliable and honest customer service.
The scale also receives high marks for battery life and shuts itself off shortly after use. Efficient, accurate, reliable and well-built, it is no surprise that this particular scale has over 16,000 positive reviews.
4. BalanceFrom Digital Body Weight Scale
- Extremely affordable; great price
- Displays weight in pounds or kilograms
- Two-year manufacturer’s warranty
- The sturdiness of the scale has been called into question by multiple customers who stated that it broke after several uses
The BalanceFrom is, above all, affordable. While it may not have some of the advanced features as the other models reviewed here, that is not to disparage its ability to serve as a basic bathroom scale.
If you are simply looking to monitor your weight, the BalanceFrom will serve you well. It is easy to read, comes with a two-year warranty and consumes very little battery power, making it an energy efficient option.
It is worth noting that there are multiple customer complaints about the scale failing after several months of use. However, the circumstances of the respective failures were not described in detail. It is unknown if, for example, the scale was subjected to weights of over 400 lbs, which could cause the unit to crack and/or malfunction. All things considered, the BalanceFrom is an inexpensive, decent, reliable bathroom scale that will help you keep track of your weight.
5. RENPHO Smart Body Fat Scale
- Displays 13 essential measurements
- Bluetooth compatible; fully integrated with app
- Unlimited users can utilize the same scale and track personalized results
- Sophisticated, modern design that looks great in any bathroom, no matter what the design scheme
- A few customers reported difficulty syncing their data with the app
The RENPHO Smart Body Scale is, perhaps, the most technologically advanced scale reviewed here. It displays 13 essential measurements; everything from body fat to BMI, bone mass and protein are calculated.
Each user’s personal results are stored via the Bluetooth integration capability, so you can track your progress on your phone. You can share your progress with others if you are so inclined, or you can keep your progress private.
Some users who submitted critical reviews reported difficulty syncing the app with their latest results. However, with over 5,000 customer reviews, this is largely not the case. The majority of customers offer nothing but glowing praise for the scale and highly recommend it, based on the ease of use, accuracy and advanced features.
6. GreaterGoods Digital Body Weight Bathroom Scale
- Non-slip grip keeps scale in place and will not scratch the floor
- A portion of the proceeds of all sales goes to humanitarian causes (Love146 is the specific organization that works with GreaterGoods; Love146 fights human trafficking)
- Available in silver, black or white
- Reports of the scale shattering
GreaterGoods offers a simple, basic, easy to use scale that is affordable and well-built. GreaterGoods is a benevolent company committed to paying it forward; a portion of the proceeds of all sales goes to Love146, an organization that combats child trafficking.
The customer reviews of the scale are overwhelmingly positive, with the exception of a few complaints. Some customers claim that the results are inconsistent; a few others stated that the scale shattered and, in a few cases, literally exploded. However, these reviews are few and far between.
For a small price, GreaterGoods offers a reliable, easy to use scale that you can feel good about purchasing, knowing that a portion of your money is benefiting those in need.
7. Etekcity Smart Body Fat Scale
- Full body composition (bone density, fat, water weight, etc.) analysis
- Bluetooth compatible; unlimited users can track their results using the same scale
- Accurately weighs up to 400 lbs. in 0.2 increments
- Reports of app failing to work properly
The Etekcity is arguably the most comprehensive scale reviewed here. It provides 13 essential measurements, including body fat, BMI, water weight, protein, bone density and more. These results are stored and tracked using the scale’s integrative app so that you can monitor your progress.
In terms of design, the scale is sturdy, with 6” of tempered glass, and can safely measure weights of up to 400 lbs. The scale will not scratch, damage or scrape your floor. Additionally, the corners of the scale are rounded off, preventing accidental injury.
The Etekcity is a bit more expensive than the majority of scales reviewed here, but if you have a serious fitness plan and want to track your results in a comprehensive, detailed way, look no further.
8. Etekcity Digital Body Weight Scale With Tape Measure
- Includes tape measure to track your progress as you trim your waistline
- Large, easy to read, backlit display
- One-year manufacturer’s warranty; exceptional customer service
- Multiple reports of scale shattering
The Etekcity Digital Body Weight Scale is a nice option if you do not need a lot of bells and whistles, but you do want a scale that will accurately display your weight.
A nice feature is the backlit display; this allows you to clearly see your results, even in a dark room. The tape measure is also an added convenience. Since there is much more to fitness than the number you see on the scale, the tape measure is an encouraging way to see the inches drop from your waistline.
It is important to note that there are multiple customer complaints about the scale shattering. While it is constructed with reinforced tempered glass, it is unclear why exactly this scale appears to be much more delicate than the others. This is not to suggest it is a cheaply made scale; rather, this is simply something to consider.
9. ArboLeaf FDA-Approved Weight Scale
- FDA approved and certified
- Fully Bluetooth integrated
- Auto on/off, auto calibration, energy efficient
- More expensive than the majority of models reviewed here
The ArboLeaf scale boasts FDA approval and certification. It is fully Bluetooth compatible and integrated. A simply app allows you to track your progress with your smartphone, and easy to read graphs allow you to visualize your progress.
Several customers described the scale as being fun to use as it is interactive, fun, and encouraging. The app is a great motivator to continue on your fitness journey, and to see how far you’ve come.
The scale can be used by the whole family, with each person’s personal results recorded on his or her phone.
10. Greater Goods Digital Body Weight Bathroom Scale
- Simple, straightforward and easy to use
- Four weight sensors for most accurate results
- Measures weights from 11-400 lbs.
- Inconsistent results
This model offered by GreaterGoods is simple, easy to use and, according to the vast majority of customer reviews, works quite well.
The most common complaint seen in the critical customer reviews is that the scale’s results are inconsistent. However, these negative reviews are few and far between. The vast majority of customers offer glowing praise, citing the scale’s fair price, ease of use, bright display and reliability.
As previously mentioned, GreaterGoods is an excellent company to support. A portion of all sales benefits the charitable organization Love146, which combats human trafficking. This is truly a product that you can feel good about buying, both for yourself and for others.
Quick Buying Tips
Questions For You to Consider
- Is anyone going to be using the scale besides you? If so, you may want to consider a scale with a Bluetooth app used to track each user’s personal results.
- Are you a fan of high-tech gadgets, integrative apps and at-your-fingertips data? If you want to be able to view your progress anytime, anywhere, then a more technologically advanced scale might better meet your needs than something basic.
- Are you interested in solely tracking your weight, or do you want a more in-depth analysis of your overall fitness? Overall fitness extends beyond weight. Muscle mass, bone density, BMI, water weight and so forth can be calculated and analyzed by several of the scales reviewed here.
- Check out the manufacturer’s warranty and reputation as far as customer service
- Stick to your budget; the most expensive scale is not necessarily the best
- Choose a scale that is aesthetically pleasing; if you hide it in the corner of your bathroom, you will be less likely to use it
Keep This in Mind
- Most scales are made with tempered glass which is strong and reinforced but can shatter under heavy weight; make sure you are buying a scale that can accomodate your personal measurements
- Transparent scales are attractive and sleek, but they are not smudge-proof and may require regular cleaning
- Advanced features are enticing, but may not be useful for everyone. If you’re monitoring your weight, you may not need to spend the extra money for features that you probably will not use
Whether you’re simply keeping track of your weight or reducing for the new year, a bathroom scale is an important tool to have. There is a wide variety of options available on the market, from very basic, bare-bones scales that simply display your weight to advanced, high-tech models that offer a 13-point physical analysis.
Whatever your budget is, and whatever your fitness goals are, you will undoubtedly find the right scale for you with a little bit of digging, making it easy for you to stay healthy and on track this year.