UPDATED: Oct 1, 2019.
Pets, children and even adults can make a mess on carpets. You can’t rely on an ordinary vacuum cleaner, you will need a carpet steam cleaner to clean stubborn stains and get rid of the bacteria and grime stuck deep inside the carpet.
Homeowners are faced with a dilemma when they have to shop for steam cleaners. What is the best carpet steam cleaner to buy? This question is not that simple to answer. Different brands sell different models and types. It would be easier if you could pick from a list of the best carpet steam cleaners, right?
At a Glance: Our Top Recommendations for Best Carpet Steam Cleaner:
- McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam System (Top Pick)
- BISSELL PowerBrush Carpet Steamer (Top Rated)
- Sienna Eco Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner (Editor Choice)
- Hoover SteamVac Plus Carpet Cleaner
- Hoover F5914900 SteamVac Carpet Cleaner
- Vornado VS-570 Commercial Fabric Steamer
- Steamfast SF-275 Canister Steam Cleaner
- BACOENG Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
- Vaporetto Go Multi-Surface Steam Cleaner
- BISSELL PowerBrush Carpet Steamer (Renewed)
- BISSELL PowerBrush Full Sized Carpet Steamer
- Hoover SteamVac Plus Carpet Cleaner (Renewed)
- Oreck Steam-It Steam Mop, Steam100LRH
- Eureka Enviro Hard-Surface Floor Steamer
- Reliable Brio Commercial Steam Cleaner
- 1 15 Best Carpet Steam Cleaners – Consumer Reports
- 1.1 1. McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam System
- 1.2 2. BISSELL Powerbrush Carpet Steamer and Carpet Cleaner (16237)
- 1.3 3. Sienna Eco Pro SSC-0412 Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
- 1.4 4. Hoover SteamVac Plus Carpet Cleaner
- 1.5 5. Hoover F5914900 SteamVac Carpet Cleaner
- 1.6 6. Vornado VS-570 Commercial Fabric Steamer
- 1.7 7. Steamfast SF-275 Canister Steam Cleaner
- 1.8 8. BACOENG Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
- 1.9 9. Vaporetto Go Multi-Surface Steam Cleaner
- 1.10 10. BISSELL Powerbrush Carpet Steamer and Carpet Cleaner, 16237 (Renewed)
- 1.11 11. BISSELL PowerBrush Full Sized Carpet Steamer and Carpet Shampooer
- 1.12 12. Hoover SteamVac Plus Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge – F5914901NC (Renewed)
- 1.13 13. Oreck Steam-It Steam Mop, Steam100LRH
- 1.14 14. Eureka Enviro Hard-Surface Floor Steamer, 313A
- 1.15 15. Reliable Brio Pro 1000CC Commercial Steam Cleaner
- 2 Types Of Steam Cleaners
- 3 Steam Cleaner Buying Guide – What Features To Look For?
- 4 Final Words
15 Best Carpet Steam Cleaners – Consumer Reports
Take a look at the reviews of 15 carpet steam cleaners that are efficient in cleaning stains from carpets and a number of other surfaces:
1. McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam System
McCulloch MC1375 is a multipurpose steam cleaner. It is ideal for cleaning and mopping. It heats water up to 200 degrees F to get rid of tough grime and grease. It heats up in just 10 minutes. It comes with 20 accessories to help you sanitize a variety of surfaces.
It features a 48-ounce water tank that can provide up to 90 minutes of continuous steam. There is a variable steam control on the model that allows the user to adjust the steam flow.
Attachments include utility brushes, floor mop, scrub pads, storage bag, accessory net, scrapper, and nozzles. It has an 18-foot power cord that makes the steam cleaner easy to move around.
This steam cleaner is not just environmentally safe, it is a great alternative to chemical cleaning. Pet owners will be thrilled to see the results. It can restore the original look for your carpet and other surfaces like floors, patios and even BBQ grills.
The cleaner makes no sound when it’s being used. It is lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- It cleans and disinfects the surface simultaneously
- The 20 attachments make cleaning easier
- It just takes 10 minutes to heat up
- The model could use a little more pressure for cleaning hard surfaces
2. BISSELL Powerbrush Carpet Steamer and Carpet Cleaner (16237)
This upright carpet cleaner is known for outstanding cleaning with its powerbush. The brush has soft bristles that enable deep cleaning. The brush has a curved design that makes it easier for it to scoop dirt and debris.
This DirtLifter powerbrush has 5 cleaning rows. They aid in lifting dirt and stains from the carpet.
The unit has a large, 2 in 1 water tank system. There is no separate tank for holding the cleaning solution. The same tank holds cleaning solution and dirty water. But don’t worry, there is a bladder inside the tank that holds the clean water. While it’s cleaning, the machine sucks the dirty water into the tank but it does not mix it with clean water.
The stain tool allows you to reach difficult areas, stairs and upholstery as well. The spraying, scrubbing and suction actions of the cleaner make it ideal for delivering outstanding performance.
- The stiff bristles make sure you get rid of tough stains
- It is lightweight and smooth to operate
- It does a great job deep cleaning
- It does not have an automatically adjusted head
3. Sienna Eco Pro SSC-0412 Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
It is another multipurpose steam cleaner that sanitizes and deodorizes your home without using harsh chemicals. It provides 1500 watts of steam pressure up to 4 BAR.
With just one fill, it can work for up to 40 minutes. It is ready to use within minutes. Using 23 attachments, you can clean carpets, floors, walls, windows, counters, and bathrooms.
The steam ready light indicator lets you know when the machine is ready to steam. The refill indicator light lets you know when the tank is ready for a refill.
With the adjustable steam pressure control knob, you can control the steam output. The machine weighs 14 pounds and hence it is easy to move around. There are no tools required to assemble it. It starts working with the touch of a button.
- It provides 40 minutes of continuous cleaning
- You can control the steam output
- No harsh chemicals are required for deep cleaning
- It’s not powerful enough to produce a good amount of steam
4. Hoover SteamVac Plus Carpet Cleaner
It’s a lightweight and medium-duty carpet cleaner. It features the counter-rotating SpinScrub 360 brush system. The 360-degree counter-rotating brushes are removable. They gently wash and scrub surfaces like tiles, wood, vinyl, and grout from all angles.
The 12-amp electric motor makes it powerful enough to clean stubborn stains. You can switch between 3 speeds (high, low and off).
It also has a dual tank system that separates the dirty water from clean water. This machine is known for its clean surge feature. It uses the cleaning agent for keeping heavy traffic areas clean and tackle sturdy stains at the same time.
With the tool model, you can pause the scrubbing brushes for protecting the hard floor. It is one of those models that is designed to go all around the house. Its suction mechanism helps the carpet dry faster.
- It is lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Suction power helps carry the carpet
- Clean surge system helps tackle unpleasant odor from fabric
- You might have to empty the water in the middle of cleaning.
5. Hoover F5914900 SteamVac Carpet Cleaner
It is a lightweight budget-friendly cleaner that does a pretty commendable job cleaning stains from carpets. Even though it is smaller in size, it’s powerful and has a decent amount of suction.
It is not just easy to carry around, but its attachment makes it easier to access hard to reach corners. The scrubbing brushes reach the fibers of the carpet and pull out all the dirt. The clean surge button releases detergent as and when required for deep cleaning.
The 5 brushes in the floor tool can be turned off when you are using it on hard floor. The heated drying feature dries the carpet quick.
- It has separate water tanks for clean and dirty water
- It is great for deep cleaning
- Requires less maintenance
- It is a noisy machine
6. Vornado VS-570 Commercial Fabric Steamer
If you are looking for a steamer that can provide you with the ultimate garment care, you will love the Vornado VS-570 Commercial Fabric Steamer.
It is gentle on delicate fabrics but it is powerful enough to use on a daily basis. It takes just 2 minutes to heat 1-gallon of water. You will get up to 4 hours of continuous steam.
It can be used on denim, wool, cotton, and linen. Its 70-inch telescopic pole provides you with a convenient place to rest the steam nozzle and hang clothes.
- It is easy to set up and use
- It steams up within a few minutes
- You can change from high to low steaming settings while using the product
- The steam might cling to certain types of fabrics
7. Steamfast SF-275 Canister Steam Cleaner
Steamfast SF-275 Canister Steam Cleaner is powered by a 1500-watt heating system to help remove stubborn stains, dirt, debris grime from floors, sinks, tubs, drapes and upholsteries. It just takes a few minutes for the cleaner to produce steam and remove allergens from your house.
You don’t need harsh cleaners or other expensive cleaning supplies for keeping your house free from pet dander, dust mites, and bed bugs.
The machine has a compact design. It generates jets of hot pressurized vapors that loosen up and dissolve tough stains on tiles or grout.
The 48-ounce water tank provides you with 45 minutes of continuous steam. 17 accessories let you clean the surfaces even more efficiently. It also has a steam-on-demand trigger with a continuous steam locking switch.
It has large wheels at the back and front casters that let you move the model from one room to another smoothly. It is an affordable steam cleaner that can sanitize your place without the use of chemicals and detergents.
- Steam jets kill bacteria and mold along with cleaning the surface
- Large tank minimizes the need for refilling
- It is powerful enough to do a reliable cleaning job
- Some of its parts are not durable
8. BACOENG Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner
It’s one of those heavy-duty steam cleaners you can use for cleaning carpets, floor mats, boats, motorcycles, cars etc. It doesn’t just remove stains but unpleasant odor from upholstery as well. You can also use it for removing dirt from the garage, grill, BBQ and patio furniture.
It just takes 6 minutes to heat up and then it is ready to use. You will have complete control over the steam using the steam control switch. It has a 48-ounce water tank capacity that lets you use the machine for up to 45 minutes.
The green light indicates that the steam is ready whereas the red light indicates that the tanks need to be refilled. It comes with 19 versatile accessories. It also has a child safety lock on its steam handle to limit the opening.
- The changeable heads increase its application
- This heavy-duty cleans targets dirt, grime, and grease efficiently
- It is easy to operate
- Even though it is heavy-duty, it’s not that powerful
9. Vaporetto Go Multi-Surface Steam Cleaner
It is one of the highly efficient machines but it is easy to use and does a great job blasting away stains, bacteria, and germs. It has a compact cylindrical construction. This allows users to drag the machine across the house just like a vacuum cleaner.
You can even wear it on your back while cleaning. It can be used for cleaning floors, carpets, sofas, mattresses, mirrors, and taps. Its steam output is 90 gallons per minute. It takes 5 minutes to steam up and it’s ready to use for removing stubborn stains.
Its performance can be enhanced with 8 attachments. This steam cleaner is effective for most surfaces.
- It’s highly compact and portable
- It’s quick to assemble and use
- It can clean and make every surface of your house hygienic
- Some of its attachments are useless
10. BISSELL Powerbrush Carpet Steamer and Carpet Cleaner, 16237 (Renewed)
BISSELL Powerbrush Carpet Steamer and Carpet Cleaner is a great cleaner if you want a machine that can thoroughly clean your carpets and upholstery.
It has a curved DirtLifter Powerbrush with 5 cleaning rows that do a reliable job in lifting tough stains out of the carpet. Apart from its suction function, it will also spray and scrub to do a satisfactory cleaning job.
The stain tool provided is meant to make the cleaning job easier. You can reach hard areas, clean stairs and upholstery.
Another appealing feature is its ergonomic handle. You can easily hold it while cleaning. It is powered by 6 amp motor that delivers consistent performance. The 2 in 1 water tank is large enough to let you complete the job without refilling.
The unit comes with Bissell Deep Cleaning Formula to help remove stubborn stains.
- DirtLifter Powerbrush targets stubborn stains
- Consistent performance on floor and upholstery
- It’s easy to operate
- No separate tank for clean and dirty water
11. BISSELL PowerBrush Full Sized Carpet Steamer and Carpet Shampooer
It is one of those cleaners from BISSELL that are meant for the deepest cleaning. It also features the 5-row rotating DirtLifter PowerBrush that penetrates deep into the carpet and loosen the dirt and stains.
It’s powered by 2 amp power. This upright cleaner is ideal for cleaning bare floors, stairs, carpets, and upholstery. It includes a 3-inch tough stain tool that lets you clean hard-to-reach places. Others tools include the bare floor tool and 2-in-1 spraying crevice tool.
It features a 3 /4 gallon two in one water tank system. The unit also comes with a deep cleaning formula designed by the manufacturers.
- The DirtLifter PowerBrush technology targets the toughest stains
- It sprays, scrubs and suctions for cleaning carpet
- It has a quiet operation
- It does not generate enough steam
12. Hoover SteamVac Plus Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge – F5914901NC (Renewed)
Hoover SteamVac Plus Carpet Cleaner lets you switch between 3 speed controls – high, low and off. You will enjoy using this carpet cleaner because of this operation. High speed is meant for normal cleaning, low speed is meant for gentle cleaning and off is meant for picking up the spill.
This operation combined with spin scrub 360 brushes makes it a powerful machine. These counter-rotating brushes scrub the surface of the carpet from all angles. It’s perfect for all-around deep cleaning.
The clean surge control function lets you apply fingertip control to add extra detergent for cleaning stains and other heavy traffic areas. Along with scrubbing the surface, one it’s done cleaning, it also applies heat to the surface to speed up the drying time.
- It is easy to use and maneuver
- It dries the carpet after cleaning
- It can tackle nasty smell from upholstery
- You will have to refill the water tank
13. Oreck Steam-It Steam Mop, Steam100LRH
It’s a multi-tasking mop that is ideal for cleaning the house without using soaps or chemicals. It produces 40 minutes of steam if it’s operating on the highest setting. Along with mopping the floor, it also sanitizes it.
Along with hard floors, it can also be used for cleaning grout and titles. On its high-temperature setting, it melts away the dirt and kills germs. The unit also has a cleaning clip that lets you use household towels.
You can adjust the steam setting depending on the floor you are cleaning. It is ideal for pets. Steam-it has a large water tank which eliminates the need for refilling the tank in between the cleaning.
The microfiber pads are machine washable and reusable. You don’t have to buy expensive replacement pads. The fingertip controls make cleaning more convenient.
- It can be used upside-down for cleaning fans, cabinets, and light fixtures
- You will have 11.5 inches wide cleaning path
- No chemicals are required for deep cleaning
- It is not a highly durable product
14. Eureka Enviro Hard-Surface Floor Steamer, 313A
It is an electric stick mop designed for cleaning and sanitizing floors. You can also use it for cleaning vertical surfaces such as mirrors and windows by using the attachments. Steam is produced through a magic clop that is clipped to the base. It’s washable and reusable.
The height of the handle is adjustable. The machine turns water into steam within minutes. You can count on it for removing dirt and grime efficiently. There is no use of soap or detergent involved.
The 12-1/2 inch cleaning head can reach corners easily. This steam cleaner has eliminated the need for carrying heavy wet mops and vacuums to get the job done.
The yellow and green lights on the base let you know the machine is heating up and ready to use. It can be used on marble, hard floor, laminate, granite, and wood. It does not come with additional attachments apart from replacement mop pads.
- It is a lightweight electric mop
- The adjustable handle makes it easier to reach difficult spots
- It is very easy to maneuver
- There is no steam control
- It is not user-friendly to fill its water tank
15. Reliable Brio Pro 1000CC Commercial Steam Cleaner
It’s designed for commercial use, of course, but it can be used by homeowners who have challenging cleaning and sanitizing needs. It has a powerful 6 bar steam pressure. Its 257-degree dry vapor steam kills germs, molds, bacteria, and viruses efficiently.
The steam cleaner comes with 17-piece accessory set that makes it easier to lift dirt, grime, and soap scum. It can also kill dust mites, bed bugs, and other allergens.
You can choose from low, medium and high-pressure settings. The steam will be in your control. It also has a hot water rinse setting for making debris removal easier.
It has an electric control panel that indicates which steam setting is being currently used. When the tank needs refilling, the low water light indicator will let you know. You can also get a trolley for making mobility and storage easier.
- The power steam pressure takes care of stubborn stains
- It can be used on multiple surfaces
- You will enjoy uninterrupted cleaning without refilling
- Its steamer is not reliable
- It loses pressure easily on setting 3 and 4
Types Of Steam Cleaners
Steam cleaners are available in 4 different types and each of them has a different use.
Handheld Steam Cleaner
It is a compact and portable appliance. It is extremely easy to use and store. It can be used for cleaning small stains on carpets. These machines are not practical for meeting large cleaning. They are handy for reaching hard to clean spots.
These cleaners are designed for cleaning floors. They have a look similar to that of a stick vacuum. It is upright, lightweight and easy to handle. There is a water tank attached to the handle.
The steam helps kill bacteria, germs, and parasite lurking on the surface. This eliminates the need to use chemicals along with reducing cleaning time.
Cylinder Steam Cleaner
It is the type of steam cleaner that is larger than the handheld steam cleaners and steam mops. It is bulker and hence a little difficult to maneuver. Despite the heavy size, it is extremely efficient in cleaning and sanitizing the carpet.
The size of the cylinder steam cleaner is large because of a large water tank. You don’t have to refill the unit while cleaning.
Vapor Steam Cleaner
It is similar to the cylinder steam cleaner. The main difference is that it leaves the surface dry clean after cleaning. There is no water or dampness left once you are done with the job.
Steam Cleaner Buying Guide – What Features To Look For?
There are plenty of features that should be considered when buying a steam cleaner. When selecting a steamer, choose the one that matches your needs. These are the features that you must pay attention to:
- Size And Weight
Steam cleaners come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and weight. The weight varies depending on the type of model you choose.
Before buying the unit, look at its weight and dimensions. This depends on your needs. Do you prefer a portable unit or are you willing to push around a bulkier machine? Other than this, you must be sure there is enough room in your house to store the steam cleaner.
- Attachment And Accessories
Steam cleaners come with some basic attachments that can be used on different surfaces to sanitize the area properly. A versatile model is the one that comes with attachments such as brushes, nozzles, scrapper, pads, and even a storage bag.
- Size Of Water Tank
A steam cleaner continues producing steam as long as there is water in the tank. Smaller units need refiling often in the middle of the cleaning. The models with larger tanks, on the other hand, don’t.
Handheld and steam mod cleaners have a smaller tank. Cylinder and vapor steam cleaners have a larger tank.
- Pressure And Temperature
The efficiency of the steam cleaner depends on how much pressure it generates. The cleaners that have a higher temperature produce a drier steam. The pressure is higher as well.
A machine that is unable to maintain its temperature and pressure level is usually less efficient.
- Ease Of Use
Lighter models are easier to work with. The problem is, the machine that enables deep cleaning has a larger size.
Usually, steam cleaners are less quiet than traditional vacuum cleaners. However, they do produce noise. Some models are pretty loud. If you are concerned about how loud the cleaner will be, check the reviews for complaints regarding noise.
A good steam cleaner can make multiple cleaning tasks easier and quicker. You won’t have to use chemicals to kill germs and bacteria either.
To find yourself the right model that brings value for the money, take your time and explore from the steam carpet steam cleaners reviewed above. Go for big brands like Hoover and Bissell as they provide quality cleaners.