If having a green thumb does not exactly come naturally to you, do not despair. There are lots of tips and tricks to make your garden not just grow but flourish. Among the most useful tools are CO2 bags.
So, how do these CO2 bags actually work? CO2 bags provide a constant shower of carbon dioxide directly onto your plants, enriching the plants and helping them to grow in a virtually maintenance free environment.
Where does the CO2 come from? The CO2 is generated by a fungus, mycelia. The carbon dioxide produced by the mycelia increases natural growth and photosynthesis, allowing your crops, plants, and flowers to grow and flourish, even indoors in grow rooms, as efficiently as they would if exposed to natural sunlight.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 6 CO2 Bags Reviewed
- 2 Quick Tips
- 3 Conclusion
Top 6 CO2 Bags Reviewed
Here are six of the most popular CO2 bags reviewed and compared for your ease. The CO2 bag that’s right for you can depend on an array of factors, including what you are growing, the number of plants you are cultivating, the size of your grow space and so forth.
No matter what bag you ultimately decide on, you will undoubtedly see a remarkable change in your crop growth. CO2 makes a remarkable difference, and your plentiful bounty of crops will certainly reap the benefits.
1. Exhale CO2 Exhale XL CO2 Bag
- Ready to use; simply put the bag in place and you are good to go
- Utilizes an award-winning strain of mycelium for optimal CO2 production
- Provides six months’ worth of continuous CO2 production
- Some disappointment with the effectiveness of product reported
In most cases, customer satisfaction with the Exhale XK Bag is excellent. The bags provide a generous amount of mycelium (mycelia), with ample product to adequately provide CO2 to a fairly large number of crops.
You may want to buy a few bags at once as they are not too expensive and yield fantastic results.
The bags are extremely easy to use. They are simply placed upside-down and the process begins. Mycelium generates CO2, which kickstarts photosynthesis, thus encouraging plant growth.
CO2 bags are the ideal choice for indoor grow rooms and enclosed greenhouses. With adequate lighting, plants will flourish as richly as they would if they were grown outdoors in a warm, constantly exposed to the sun, climate.
If warm weather and regular sunlight are unavailable, a good CO2 bag is the next best thing, and the Exhale XL, with its fair price and solid reputation, is a good choice.
2. ExHale Homegrown CO2 With Hanger and THCiTY Gloves
- Excellent value; fair price
- No heat or electricity required
- Gardening gloves included with purchase
- The CO2 cultivation process takes approximately 30 days to start
The ExHale Homegrown CO2 with Hanger is easily suspended directly above your plants, allowing the mycelium to shower the CO2 directly over your crops thanks to gravity. No heat or electricity is required; it’s a simple, organic, natural process.
As previously mentioned, there is a slight delay before the process begins. Once the bag is suspended from the hanger, it takes roughly 30 days for the mycelium to begin fully producing CO2.
However, with a little patience, it is well worth the wait, as your crops will respond quickly to being enriched so thoroughly.
The hypoallergenic, non-irritant gardening gloves included with your purchase are an added bonus. The gloves are sturdy and make everything from pulling weeds to shoveling a breeze, protecting your skin.
3. Boca Hydro Exhale Micro CO2 Bag
- Provides a three-month supply of CO2
- Ideal for organic crop production
- Made in the USA
- Maintenance free; no heat or electricity required
- Several customers complained about the freshness of the contents of the bag
The customer reviews for the Boca Hydro are, generally speaking, quite enthusiastic. The bag itself is small but mighty. It’s easy to use – you simply crumble it over your crops and let it do its thing, as the entire bag is biodegradable.
As far as results go, the customers are quite enthusiastic and emphasize the short amount of time it takes to see substantial sustainable growth.
The Boca Hydro works for a multitude or greenery with amazing results, breathing new life into otherwise lackluster crops. For a small price, this CO2 bag makes a world of difference.
4. Natural CO2 Grow Bags For Your Tent, Greenhouse, And Garden
- Touted as the most advanced grow bag on the market
- Yields incredible results
- Superior mycelium strain which does not grow harmful spores or toxic fungus
- Works well in a greenhouse, grow room or hydroponic setup
- Only provides CO2 for 8-12 weeks; considerably less than some of the other options reviewed here
Natural CO2 Grow Bags are advantageous in their versatility, unlike some other bags which are strictly for hydroponic setups, greenhouses or otherwise. These bags work virtually anywhere.
The bags are shipped discreetly and quickly, which is a plus for certain grow operations best kept under the radar (yes, we mean tomatoes – what were you thinking?).
The particular mycelium strain is superior in quality. Other strains are problematic in that they produce spores, flower, and generate harmful fungus. This mycelium is pure and produces high-quality CO2, with no other potentially harmful elements.
The only drawback is that the size of the bag is smaller than others and it only lasts for 8-12 weeks, at which point it will need to be replaced.
5. Exhale 365 – Self-Activated CO2 Bag for Homegrown, Tents, Stakes & More
- Completely self-activated
- Produces CO2 for nine months
- Six months of peak CO2 production
- Gardening stakes included with purchase
- Not as versatile as other options reviewed here; i.e. not ideal for hydroponic growing
The Exhale 365 produces CO2 for an amazing nine months (six of which have the CO2 levels at their peak). This bag, in particular, seems to keep plants happy and healthy, according to customer reviews.
The bags are fairly priced and gardening stakes are included with every purchase, which is a nice bonus. The big selling point here is the fact that the bags are so long-lasting.
Plants are kept happy, healthy and well nourished for at least half a year, making the bags a smart, sensible investment.
The fact that the bags are completely self-activate means that you simply put them in place over your plants and you’re good to go. Tending to your garden is that much easier, and you will see the results quickly and clearly.
6. McBag CO2 Bag
- Extremely budget-friendly
- Observable results in as little as 24 hours
- Ideal for enclosed growing spaces
- 500+ppm CO2 boost in a 4x8x8′ area
- Not available in all areas
The McBag is the perfect example of science, nature and engineering meeting up to create something great. The McBag is extremely potent, producing results in as little as 24 hours.
The bag is intended for enclosed areas as well as hydroponic growing spaces. Unfortunately, the McBag appears to sold in limited areas (specifically, the Southwest). Hopefully, the sales area will expand to the entire continental US, because the reviews are pretty spectacular.
It looks like the bioengineers behind the McBag have found an incredibly potent, powerful strain of mycelium that gives plants the boost that they need to flourish and grow.
Remember to keep the following in mind regarding CO2 bags:
- Mycelium is a fungus and comes in hundreds of different strands. Some are better than others. Do not be discouraged if you happen to purchase a flawed bag. The mycelium, flawed or not, will produce the necessary CO2 to induce photosynthesis. It just takes a little patience.
- Some bags last longer than others. Some steadily produce CO2 for about a month. Others keep going strong for half a year.
- Some bags are more environmentally friendly than others. Check for biodegradable, compostable bags.
- Measure your grow space and the number of crops you intend to yield. That information should be what your purchase is based upon.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. In the majority of situations, you will need a bright, indoor grow light for your plants to thrive. Other than bright lights, you should not need much else in the way of equipment.
- Research how CO2 benefits plants. Greater amounts of CO2 help plants tolerate warmer temperatures, and there are additional benefits you should be
Choosing the Best
There are many high-quality CO2 bags available at a fair price. The bottom line comes down to the number of crops you are growing, the type of plants, and the environment in which your grow operation is taking place.
Whether you have a hydroponic setup, a greenhouse or an indoor grow room, you may need different amounts of CO2. Additionally, many CO2 bags come with perks such as hypoallergenic gardening gloves and stakes.
If you do not see results right away, do not despair – different strains of mycelium produce CO2 at different speeds. Additionally, some strains last longer than others. Be patient, and be willing to try out different bags to see what works best.
The bags are inexpensive enough that you should be able to experiment, and through trial and error, you will find exactly what your garden needs.
So, whether you have a green thumb or not, do not despair. CO2 bags are a fantastic, easy, and environmentally friendly way to give your plants a boost.