Hori-Hori knife is one of the most favorite tools that you will find in the toolkit of every gardener. The tool got its name from the sound this tool makes while it is in action. Hori-knife’s verbal meaning is ‘the knife that is used to dig’, and that is exactly what it is used for.
At a Glance: Our Choices for Best Hori-Hori Garden Knife to Feature in This Article:
- Hori Hori Garden Knife with Sharpening Rod (Top Pick)
- Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Truly Garden (Top Rated)
- Attican Hori-Hori Garden Knife (Editor Choice)
- Nisaku NJP650 Hori-Hori Blade
- Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife
- 1 Quick Reviews of The 15 Best Hori-Hori Knife in 2020
- 1.1 1. Hori Hori Garden Knife with Diamond Sharpening Rod
- 1.2 2. Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Truly Garden
- 1.3 3. Attican Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- 1.4 4. Nisaku NJP650 7.25″ Blade Hori-Hori Blade
- 1.5 5. Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife
- 1.6 6. Sensei Tools Hori Digging Knife – 7.5 Inches, with Leather Sheath
- 1.7 7. CIELCERA Hori-Hori Gardening Knife
- 1.8 8. Garden Guru Lawn and Garden Tools Hori-Hori Knife
- 1.9 9. Cielcera 12″ Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- 1.10 10. MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- 1.11 11. Kings County Tools All Steel Gardener’s Digging Knife with Serrated Edge
- 1.12 12. Barebones Living Classic Walnut Hori-Hori
- 1.13 13. Multi-purpose Hori-Hori knife by Riverview Enterprise
- 1.14 14. Japanese Hori-Hori Knife by BonsaiOutlet
- 1.15 15. 12” Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Lausihay
- 2 Important Aspects to Look for While Buying a Hori-Hori Knife
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 The Bottom Line
Quick Reviews of The 15 Best Hori-Hori Knife in 2020
So, today we will talk about some of the best Hori-Hori knives in the market right now. In this detailed review we will discuss various features, pros and cons of these products, so stick with us until the very end.
1. Hori Hori Garden Knife with Diamond Sharpening Rod
- 5-year warranty
- Thick leather sheath
- High quality steel blade
- Heavy option
This Hori-Hori knife from the Truly Garden Store is an excellent option with very sharp flat and serrated edges. The 7″ blade is made out of 420 stainless steel which should grant the knife plenty of durability and allow it to hold the edge for longer.
Considering that this is very sharp, the manufacturer has included a handguard to keep your hand safe. Additionally, the knife has a full tang handle that improves your grip.
When not in use, this product can be sheathed in the thick leather sheath provided in the packaging. To top off all the impressive features, it also has a 5-year warranty to cater for any damage or issues.
2. Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Truly Garden
- Multi-purpose gardening and camping tool
- Export quality Curved steel
- Hardwood Handle of a better hand grip
- Lanyard hole has countersunk issues
With this amazing Hori-Hori knife, you can do multiple things in one go. It can be used for digging, cutting, pruning, harvesting etc. the quality of the blade is quite premium and it is a 7-inch blade. The sheath is made out of premium quality leather for a better look.
It comes with a free sharpening rod so you do not have to worry about the sharpness of your knife anymore.
3. Attican Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- The blade is accompanied by a leather sheath
- It can be used for both digging and high-intensity cutting
- Comes with a 10-year global warranty
- Both sides are sharp and do not offer much safety
Are you looking for a Hori-Hori knife with an amazing wood handle that offers great finishing? If yes, then this is a great piece for your needs. It is made in a concave shape so you can do both cutting and digging with the same knife. The sturdy wooden handle is made from hardwood.
It comes with a leather sheath that is highly durable and it is made out of premium quality leather. The measuring scale on one side of the blade comes in very handy.
4. Nisaku NJP650 7.25″ Blade Hori-Hori Blade
- The structure offers the perfect Japanese finishing
- The blade is carved out of stainless steel
- Perfect for landscaping and gardening
- The knife has a lot of weight because of the base-handle
If you are looking for a hori-hori knife with the perfect Japanese finishing then this might be your pick. The blade is made out of Nisaku Stainless steel and the anti-corrosion coating over it ensures the prolong usage of the product.
The blade has a size of a total of 7.25 inches and the handle is made out of wood which measures 5.25 inches. The product comes with a leather sheath which adds a great look to the knife. Also, the weight of the knife is 10Oz which means it is quite heavy.
5. Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife
- Padded oversized handle
- Durable construction
- Lifetime warranty
- Unattractive design
Fiskars makes some of the best garden hand tools on the market, and the Big Grip garden knife from the manufacturer is an excellent choice that offers plenty of versatility.
The knife features a padded, oversized handle that gives you an excellent grip even as you deal with tough soil or plant parts. The product is excellent for several garden tasks, whether digging into the soil or cutting bags.
Durability is all-around impressive and the product has a cast-aluminum head to resist corrosion. With a serrated blade, carving into the hard ground is very easy to accomplish with this knife.
6. Sensei Tools Hori Digging Knife – 7.5 Inches, with Leather Sheath
- Multipurpose tool for digging, weeding, and planting
- Blade is mirror polished, straight edged
- Contoured handle with a firm non-slip grip
- 90-day, money back guarantee
- Belt loop too small for an actual belt
- Construction feels cheap
The Sensei Tools Hori Digging Knife is the ideal tool needed for digging, planting and weeding in the garden. The stainless steel blade is 7.5 inches long; it has both edges of the blade sharpened and it is the ideal tool needed for cutting through tough roots and weeds when doing landscaping and gardening.
7. CIELCERA Hori-Hori Gardening Knife
- Leather sheath with a hang hole
- Up to mark scale on the blade of this knife
- Durable and sturdy because of full tang design
- The sheath has some quality issues
This hori-hori gardening knife is a great pick for your gardening kit. The serrated blade edge offers an easy cutting which can be used for hunting. The protective hand guard is both classy and protective.
Also, the 3 rivets keep the blade and handle together without any issues whatsoever. The full Tang handle is very responsive and offers and smooth cutting experience. The length of the blade is 7-inches and the gradation marks come in quite handy.
8. Garden Guru Lawn and Garden Tools Hori-Hori Knife
- Versatile knife
- Rust-resistant blade
- Comfortable Hardwood handle
- Low-quality sheath
If you are looking for a beautiful Hori-Hori knife, then you would certainly be pleased by this model. It is a beautiful knife that will serve your gardening and camping needs. One of the favorite things about this knife is its versatility. You can use the product for your digging, weed pulling, probing, slicing, and so on.
The blade is made of rust-resistant steel while the handle is made out of high-quality hardwood. The handle offers a wonderful grip and will help you to get the most out of using the product. The sheath looks attractive, however, it isn’t as durable as we’d have liked.
With a lifetime guarantee, this knife is excellent value for money and will give you the performance that you want and more.
9. Cielcera 12″ Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- Lovely-looking leather sheath
- Durable full tang design
- Two working blade edges
- Low-quality sheath
This product is an excellent addition to your gardening kit. For one, the product sports a serrated blade edge that allows you to cut through plants, shrubs, and even tree bark easily. You can even use the blade in hunting. Aside from the versatility, this knife is awesome because of the handguard included.
Additionally, the Hori-Hori knife has a trio of rivets to ensure that the blade and handle remain fused even with hard use. Talking about the handle, it has a full tang design that contributes to the overall smooth cutting experience.
10. MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- The knife is perfect for occasional campers and gardening connoisseurs
- The blade is tested against several breaking and durability tests
- Comes with scale marking on the edges of the knife
- The knife comes with a vinyl sheath which has quality issues
This beautiful Hori-Hori knife is a great pick for your gardening and camping kit. This knife can be used for any purpose that includes activities like sawing, digging, weed pulling and trowelling. The blade offers a great mirror finish which looks very classy.
The countered handle features an ultra-robust grip.This Hori-Hori knife comes with a trendy nylon sheath which is not much durable but offers a great look to the product. The product features one side for cutting with the razor-sharp edge and the other side is serrated.
11. Kings County Tools All Steel Gardener’s Digging Knife with Serrated Edge
- Heavy-duty tool for digging
- Knife blade is an impressive 12- inches long
- Blade is 7-inches and perfect sized for gardening
- Easy to hold blade grip
- Knife is a heavier detrimental tool option
- Flat edge of knife is not sharp
The Kings County Tools All Steel Gardener’s Digging Knife with Serrated Edge is an extremely impressive, rugged tool. This 12 inch tool was created by a firm in the USA that builds tools for professional gardeners and arborists.
Kings County Tools makes a special 7 inch blade tool that is curved and welded at a right angle. This knife blade is very sharp and has a deep blade that is serrated and able to cut through the thickest vines and roots.
12. Barebones Living Classic Walnut Hori-Hori
- Created with Japanese vintage inspiration
- Handle is of rich, walnut durability
- Blade is concave
- Has a complete, stainless steel tang
- Not useful for detecting metal
- Tool is not good for detecting thickness of blade
The Bare Bones Living Classic Walnut Hori-Hori is the ideal way to go from digging to planting to harvesting. With a heat-tempered, hollowback blade, and a completely stainless steel tang with a comfortable, twine cutter walnut handle, you will find that you have all the ultimate tools you need for gardening.
13. Multi-purpose Hori-Hori knife by Riverview Enterprise
- The blade is made from a stainless steel blade
- Rust resistant coating ensures a long-term usage
- The African Rosewood handles offer a great grip
- The finish of the product is not quite standard
This product is a great value for money article. The stainless steel blade offers the premium usage which you can enjoy while camping and gardening.
The length of the blade is 7-inches which is followed by a water-resistant high-quality rosewood handle. The handlebar is attached to the knife by heavy-duty rivets.
The two sides of the blade have their separate uses. One side is serrated for cutting the roots and the branches while the other side is sharp and straight for general cutting.
The product comes with a leather sheath and a whetstone for self-sharpening. Also, the lifetime guarantee is a great add-on to the product.
14. Japanese Hori-Hori Knife by BonsaiOutlet
- Rustproof stainless steel blade
- Has great sharpness and can cut through anything
- Measuring marks for easy usage
- Blade quality might not be sufficient for heavy users
This 6¾ inch gardening and Pruning hori-hori knife is a great tool that you can use for camping as well as several other activities. The build of the knife is quite amazing and the sheath protection offers great confidence.
The concave blade is perfect for easy usage and the handle rivets keep things in their place quite effectively.
15. 12” Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Lausihay
- The knife is made out of Stainless steel
- The 3-pin pattern of the handle ensures rough and safe usage
- The product is perfect for planting bulbs and sculpting
- The sheath has some loose sewing issues
- The handle of the knife is loose from the side of the hand-saver
This 12-inch Hori-Hori gardening knife offers a smooth and a pointed side on the blade. The ergonomic handle design offers easy usage and offers a great amount of comfort in the usage.
The knife holder is quite durable but some pieces have loose sewing issues which can be solved by getting its sewing done.
The product comes with the following products; a paper knife, a whetstone for sharpening the blade at home, a leather sheath, and a 12-inch Lausihay garden knife. It is a great gifting option so you can present it as a gift too.
Important Aspects to Look for While Buying a Hori-Hori Knife
There are several aspects that you should check while buying the knife. These aspects include not just physical attributes but also the effectiveness in the usage of the knife. So, check for the following attributes while choosing a hori-hori knife:
The Shape of the Blade
The blade of these knives comes in a variety of shape and sizes. But, there some blade styles that are better than the other in terms of usage. The best style that most of the professional gardeners prefer is the concave style.
In this style, the blade offers a parallel length that declines from both the sides up to a point. You can find it with its symmetrical shape.
The Material of the Blade
There are several types of materials that are used to make the blade. The most commonly used material is the stainless steel because they are cheap and easy to melt for shaping.
But, the best material that you should look for is the carbon steel. This material offers a great amount of durability and does not get rust or any similar issues.
Handle and Sheath
There are several materials that are used to make the handle and sheath for the hori-hori Japanese knives. So, while choosing a knife for your gardening or camping kit you should check for the material of the handle is strong and highly durable.
Also, it is advised to choose a knife that has a Full Tang handle. As for the sheath, you should preferably go for one that has durable stitching. Also, it better to go for a leather sheath as vinyl sheaths are easily cut through by the knife itself.
The Weight of the Product
It is essential to check the weight of the knife as if you are a regular user; a product that weighs much will decrease the speed of the user.
There are several Hori-Hori knives that have weight over 10 ounces which is heavy. So, you can go for a knife that weighs anything lower than 10 Oz.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the best Hori-Hori Knife?
A: The best hori-hori knife is one that is versatile and designed to last for a long time. This knife has a sharp edge that can cut bags, roots, branches, and more. It can also be used to dig and replace tools like trowels, pruners, and small saws. The knife from the Truly Garden Store with Diamond Sharpening Rod is the best choice from the customer now.
Q: How to sharpen Hori-Hori Knife?
A: Although these knives come extra-sharp, you have to sharpen them to get the best use. The best hori-hori knives on the market are sharpened using the sharpening rod included in the package. To sharpen the knife, first, clean it then run the edge across the sides of the rod until the flat and serrated edges feel sharp.
The Bottom Line
All of the above mentioned Hori-Hori knives are perfect for campers and gardeners. Their application is quite impressive and the material used in the making of these products are top-notch.
So, if you do not have much time to do research on these articles then you can choose any of the above-mentioned products.