UPDATED: Nov 08, 2019.
Hori-Hori knife is one of the most favorite tools that you will find in the toolkit of every gardener. The tool got its name from the sound this tool makes while it is in action. Hori-knife’s verbal meaning is ‘the knife that is used to dig’, and that is exactly what it is used for.
At a Glance: Our 8 Choices for Best Hori-Hori Garden Knife to Feature in This Article:
- Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Truly Garden (Top Pick)
- Nisaku NJP650 7.25″ Blade Hori-Hori blade (Top Rated)
- MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Knife (Editor Choice)
- Attican Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- 12” Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Lausihay
- Multi-purpose Hori-Hori knife by Riverview Enterprise
- CIELCERA Hori-Hori Gardening Knife
- Japanese Hori-Hori Knife by BonsaiOutlet
- 1 Quick Reviews of The 8 Best Hori-Hori Knife in 2019
- 1.1 1. Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Truly Garden
- 1.2 2. Nisaku NJP650 7.25″ Blade Hori-Hori blade
- 1.3 3. MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- 1.4 4. Attican Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- 1.5 5. 12” Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Lausihay
- 1.6 6. Multi-purpose Hori-Hori knife by Riverview Enterprise
- 1.7 7. CIELCERA Hori-Hori Gardening Knife
- 1.8 8. Japanese Hori-Hori Knife by BonsaiOutlet
- 2 Important aspects to look for while buying a Hori-Hori knife
- 3 The Bottom Line
Quick Reviews of The 8 Best Hori-Hori Knife in 2019
So, today we will talk about some of the best Hori-Hori knives in the market right now. In this detailed review we will discuss various features, pros and cons of these products, so stick with us until the very end.
1. Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Truly Garden
- Multi-purpose gardening and camping tool
- Export quality Curved steel
- Hardwood Handle of a better hand grip
- Lanyard hole has countersunk issues
With this amazing Hori-Hori knife, you can do multiple things in one go. It can be used for digging, cutting, pruning, harvesting etc. the quality of the blade is quite premium and it is a 7-inch blade. The sheath is made out of premium quality leather for a better look.
It comes with a free sharpening rod so you do not have to worry about the sharpness of your knife anymore.
2. Nisaku NJP650 7.25″ Blade Hori-Hori blade
- The structure offers the perfect Japanese finishing
- The blade is carved out of stainless steel
- Perfect for landscaping and gardening
- The knife has a lot of weight because of the base-handle
If you are looking for a hori-hori knife with the perfect Japanese finishing then this might be your pick. The blade is made out of Nisaku Stainless steel and the anti-corrosion coating over it ensures the prolong usage of the product.
The blade has a size of a total of 7.25 inches and the handle is made out of wood which measures 5.25 inches. The product comes with a leather sheath which adds a great look to the knife. Also, the weight of the knife is 10Oz which means it is quite heavy.
3. MLTOOLS Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- The knife is perfect for occasional campers and gardening connoisseurs
- The blade is tested against several breaking and durability tests
- Comes with scale marking on the edges of the knife
- The knife comes with a vinyl sheath which has quality issues
This beautiful Hori-Hori knife is a great pick for your gardening and camping kit. This knife can be used for any purpose that includes activities like sawing, digging, weed pulling and trowelling. The blade offers a great mirror finish which looks very classy.
The countered handle features an ultra-robust grip.This Hori-Hori knife comes with a trendy nylon sheath which is not much durable but offers a great look to the product. The product features one side for cutting with the razor-sharp edge and the other side is serrated.
4. Attican Hori-Hori Garden Knife
- The blade is accompanied by a leather sheath
- It can be used for both digging and high-intensity cutting
- Comes with a 10-year global warranty
- Both sides are sharp and do not offer much safety
Are you looking for a Hori-Hori knife with an amazing wood handle that offers great finishing? If yes, then this is a great piece for your needs. It is made in a concave shape so you can do both cutting and digging with the same knife. The sturdy wooden handle is made from hardwood.
It comes with a leather sheath that is highly durable and it is made out of premium quality leather. The measuring scale on one side of the blade comes in very handy.
5. 12” Hori-Hori Garden Knife by Lausihay
- The knife is made out of Stainless steel
- The 3-pin pattern of the handle ensures rough and safe usage
- The product is perfect for planting bulbs and sculpting
- The sheath has some loose sewing issues
- The handle of the knife is loose from the side of the hand-saver
This 12-inch Hori-Hori gardening knife offers a smooth and a pointed side on the blade. The ergonomic handle design offers easy usage and offers a great amount of comfort in the usage.
The knife holder is quite durable but some pieces have loose sewing issues which can be solved by getting its sewing done.
The product comes with the following products; a paper knife, a whetstone for sharpening the blade at home, a leather sheath, and a 12-inch Lausihay garden knife. It is a great gifting option so you can present it as a gift too.
6. Multi-purpose Hori-Hori knife by Riverview Enterprise
- The blade is made from a stainless steel blade
- Rust resistant coating ensures a long-term usage
- The African Rosewood handles offer a great grip
- The finish of the product is not quite standard
This product is a great value for money article. The stainless steel blade offers the premium usage which you can enjoy while camping and gardening.
The length of the blade is 7-inches which is followed by a water-resistant high-quality rosewood handle. The handlebar is attached to the knife by heavy-duty rivets.
The two sides of the blade have their separate uses. One side is serrated for cutting the roots and the branches while the other side is sharp and straight for general cutting.
The product comes with a leather sheath and a whetstone for self-sharpening. Also, the lifetime guarantee is a great add-on to the product.
7. CIELCERA Hori-Hori Gardening Knife
- Leather sheath with a hang hole
- Up to mark scale on the blade of this knife
- Durable and sturdy because of full tang design
- The sheath has some quality issues
This hori-hori gardening knife is a great pick for your gardening kit. The serrated blade edge offers an easy cutting which can be used for hunting. The protective hand guard is both classy and protective.
Also, the 3 rivets keep the blade and handle together without any issues whatsoever. The full Tang handle is very responsive and offers and smooth cutting experience. The length of the blade is 7-inches and the gradation marks come in quite handy.
8. Japanese Hori-Hori Knife by BonsaiOutlet
- Rustproof stainless steel blade
- Has great sharpness and can cut through anything
- Measuring marks for easy usage
- Blade quality might not be sufficient for heavy users
This 6¾ inch gardening and Pruning hori-hori knife is a great tool that you can use for camping as well as several other activities. The build of the knife is quite amazing and the sheath protection offers great confidence.
The concave blade is perfect for easy usage and the handle rivets keep things in their place quite effectively.
Important aspects to look for while buying a Hori-Hori knife
There are several aspects that you should check while buying the knife. These aspects include not just physical attributes but also the effectiveness in the usage of the knife. So, check for the following attributes while choosing a hori-hori knife:
The shape of the blade
The blade of these knives comes in a variety of shape and sizes. But, there some blade styles that are better than the other in terms of usage. The best style that most of the professional gardeners prefer is the concave style.
In this style, the blade offers a parallel length that declines from both the sides up to a point. You can find it with its symmetrical shape.
The material of the Blade
There are several types of materials that are used to make the blade. The most commonly used material is the stainless steel because they are cheap and easy to melt for shaping.
But, the best material that you should look for is the carbon steel. This material offers a great amount of durability and does not get rust or any similar issues.
Handle and sheath
There are several materials that are used to make the handle and sheath for the hori-hori Japanese knives. So, while choosing a knife for your gardening or camping kit you should check for the material of the handle is strong and highly durable.
Also, it is advised to choose a knife that has a Full Tang handle. As for the sheath, you should preferably go for one that has durable stitching. Also, it better to go for a leather sheath as vinyl sheaths are easily cut through by the knife itself.
The weight of the product
It is essential to check the weight of the knife as if you are a regular user; a product that weighs much will decrease the speed of the user.
There are several Hori-Hori knives that have weight over 10 ounces which is heavy. So, you can go for a knife that weighs anything lower than 10 Oz.
The Bottom Line
All of the above mentioned Hori-Hori knives are perfect for campers and gardeners. Their application is quite impressive and the material used in the making of these products are top-notch.
So, if you do not have much time to do research on these articles then you can choose any of the above-mentioned products.