Does that foam in the hot tub cringe you? It forms because of chemicals and dirt in the water. It must be eliminated if you want to enjoy a nice and long soak. A hot tub defoamer is used for this purpose. It’s an anti-foaming chemical that prevents the water from developing foam.
At a Glance: The 8 Best Hot Tub Defoamer Discussed in Our Roundup:
- Leisure Time Spa Balance Foam Down (Top Pick)
- Pool & Spa Anti Foam Defoamer Concentrate (Top Rated)
- Bluewater Chemgroup Spa And Hot Tub Defoamer (Editor Choice)
- 2-Pack Spa Foam Free Hot Tub Defoamer
- Spa Essentials Defoamer For Spas And Hot Tubs
- HTH Spa Conditioner Defoamer
- Hot Tub Things Defoamer
- In The Swim Spa and Hot Tub Defoamer
- 1 The Very Best Hot Tub Defoamers To Get Your Hands On
- 1.1 1. Leisure Time Spa Balance Foam Down
- 1.2 2. Pool & Spa Anti Foam Defoamer Concentrate
- 1.3 3. Bluewater Chemgroup Spa And Hot Tub Defoamer
- 1.4 4. 2-Pack Spa Foam Free Hot Tub Defoamer
- 1.5 5. Spa Essentials 32424000 Defoamer For Spas And Hot Tubs
- 1.6 6. HTH Spa Conditioner Defoamer
- 1.7 7. Hot Tub Things Defoamer
- 1.8 8. In The Swim Spa and Hot Tub Defoamer
- 2 Types of Hot tub Defoamers
- 3 Hot Tub Defoamer Buying Guide
- 4 Why Even Use A Hot Tub Defoamer?
- 5 Summing up
The Very Best Hot Tub Defoamers To Get Your Hands On
You will find a number of defoamers now in a variety of kinds each promising to eliminate foam from your hot tub. You might want to have a look the list of the best ones here:
1. Leisure Time Spa Balance Foam Down
- Just a little bit of the product does the trick
- Can also be used to eliminate foam in pool
- It doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals that can irritate the skin
- Some users say it’s a temporary fix
Leisure time spa balance foam down doesn’t just eliminate the foam but indicates if there are other imbalances in the water such as low calcium. Simply add a little bit of the product and watch it mix in the water doing its job i.e. retarding foam.
If you still see foam in the water, it’s an indication that your spa either has low calcium or you need to drain the water. Leisure time works immediately. It’s also compatible with chlorine, bromine, ozone, and biguanide sanitizers.
2. Pool & Spa Anti Foam Defoamer Concentrate
- It can be used in pools, spas, and decorative fountains
- Disappears in the water immediately
- It does not change the chemistry of the water. No sticky or oily water complaints
- If you stop using the product, the foam comes back
Pool & spa anti foam defoamer is a concentrated liquid with a water-based silicone formula that removes foam in not just spas but pools and decorative fountains. The best thing about this defoamer is that it doesn’t mess with the chemistry of the water.
You won’t feel any oil residue in the spa at all. Just adding 1 to 2 ounce of the product in 10,000 gallons of water would be enough to eliminate the foam.
3. Bluewater Chemgroup Spa And Hot Tub Defoamer
- It takes 30 seconds for the product to reduce the foam
- It does not upset the water chemistry
- Add the recommended amount of the liquid and watch the foam disappear
- It can make the water cloudy
- Works best with a sprayer
Bluewater chemgroup spa and hot tub defoamer is another well-known name in defoamers. It doesn’t just eliminate but prevents foaming in pool water, spa, and hot tub. It’s a water-based formula but don’t worry, it won’t upset the water chemistry.
You just have to pour the liquid, turn on the hot tub and it will eliminate the foam magically within 30 seconds. Bluewater chemgroup spa and hot tub defoamer also contains silicone emulsion. It’s not recommended for those who are allergic to silicone.
100 gallons of water requires 1 ounce of the product.
4. 2-Pack Spa Foam Free Hot Tub Defoamer
- Just a few drops are required to instantly get rid of the foam
- It doesn’t clog the filters of the tub or pool
- Very easy to use
- It leaves a thick and sticky film around the hot tub
2-pack spa foam free hot tub defoamer is composed of a concentrated formula. You can count on this product to eliminate the persistent foaming problems you encounter. It’s safe to use for eliminating foam in fountains, ponds, pools, and spas.
Although the product says it does not harm the filters or other equipment of your spa but some users have complained it leaves a sticky film around the tub. It would require extra effort to remove this residue.
5. Spa Essentials 32424000 Defoamer For Spas And Hot Tubs
- Quickly eliminates the foam
- It also cleans the surface and the filters
- It does its job effectively
- Watch out, the bottle might leak due to shipping mishandling
- A few squirts are required to clear everything
Spa Essentials 32424000 Defoamer is an easy to use product. It does the job of eliminating the foam well. Once the foam is gone, you will see a visible difference. It leaves the surface of your spa and even filters clean.
Once the foam is gone, you can see crystal clear water.
6. HTH Spa Conditioner Defoamer
- The foam disappears in just 30 seconds
- Vitamin E makes your skin feel soft
- You can count on it to keep the foam from developing in the water
- You might have to add a little more product than recommended
HTH Spa Conditioner Defoamer comes with a special Vitamin E enriched formula to keep your skin soft and subtle when you step into the hot tub for soaking. It’s also very reliable when it comes to getting rid of the foam in the water.
It’s not just a defoamer but a spa conditioner that will promote a soothing experience. You might have to add some extra drops and do some stirring to completely get rid of the foam.
7. Hot Tub Things Defoamer
- Instantly breaks the existing foam
- You will notice a difference in foam formation with the very first application
- It works fine with bubble spa but not very well to use with a jet spa
- The product is over-priced
Hot Tub Things Defoamer is one of the defoamers that can break the existing foam in the spa, hot tub, and even a whirlpool almost immediately.
Although it’s among America’s #1 trusted brand that produces hot tub chemicals, it’s not very great with jet saps. Also, it’s a little costly as compared to other defoamers that can do the job way better.
8. In The Swim Spa and Hot Tub Defoamer
- It removes the spa foam caused by shampoos, body oils and soaps
- The oil-free silicone formula is very effective in eliminating foam
- It would be easier to use if it came with a spray bottle
- Watch out for shipping mishandling
In the swim spa and hot tub defoamer is a specially formulated oil-free silicone-based formula that effectively eliminates not just the spa foam but the foam caused by shampoos, body oils, and soaps. One cap will be enough for 500 gallons of water.
Types of Hot tub Defoamers
Hot tub Defoamers are generally available in 4 different types, i.e.
As the name says, mineral oil or vegetable oil is used for dissolving the foam. Such defoamers not just eliminate the foam but prevent it from spreading. They are mostly used in pools.
Water-based defoamers are also oil-like but in this case, the oil isn’t the carrier. It is the water that carries down the foam and eliminates it.
They are in powdered form, of course. You can combine with detergents or liquid cleaners to dissipate foam in the water.
These defoamers are made from hydrophobic silica. It plays the role of an emulsifier and when it is added into water, it spreads the silicone and dissipates the foam developed in the water very easily.
Hot Tub Defoamer Buying Guide
There are a few things you have to consider to choose the best hot tub defoamer. Perhaps this small buying guide would help:
Know the Type
You must make yourself familiar with the types of defoamers out there. Each one works differently. You should pick the one that would work best for your hot tub.
The amount of alcohol present in the product will affect the chemistry of the water. If the level of alcohol is high, it will affect the water and eventually, your soaking experience.
The defoamer can affect the pH level in the water too. Some can increase the pH level while others can decrease it. Find a product that doesn’t impact the water’s pH level.
Why Even Use A Hot Tub Defoamer?
The use of a hot tub defoamer is not just limited to getting rid of the foam. There are lots of other benefits of this product. Such as:
- Because of the foam, the water in the tub appears to be murky which is why lots of people don’t like to sit in the tub for long. A defoamer makes the water crystal clear by eliminating the foam.
- By regularly using a defoamer, you can also prevent it from building up and staying in the water.
- The water becomes less gooey and thick. You will continue to have a soothing spa experience every time you step into the tub.
- Some defoamers have the quality of cleaning the surface of the tub as well as its filters to some extent. Plus, all the chemicals from the water are eliminated which could have been harmful to your body.
- Unwanted materials and dirt from the water are dissipated like magic. You no longer have to worry that you are stepping into the unclean water.
Now that you know how these defoamers work, list down the brands that you like the most and compare them to pick the best defoamer. Once you have the right product, you can use it right away and remove the built-up foam.