UPDATED: Mar 07, 2020.
When looking for a home sauna that works efficiently and keeps you comfortable, you should have a closer look at the range of outdoor saunas available in the market. With these portable outdoor saunas, you can save yourself from building a separate room to enjoy a sauna experience.
You’re free to select the size and even opt for a model much larger than an indoor sauna. But you still have to choose the right outdoor sauna.
At a Glance: The 5 Models We’ve Chosen as Contenders for The Best Outdoor Sauna:
- Maxxus FAR Infrared Carbon Sauna (Top Pick)
- Outdoor Sauna Weather Resistant Hemlock Wood (Top Rated)
- Golden Designs Far Infrared Sauna (Editor Choice)
- HeatWave Infrared Sauna
- ALEKO SB5PINECP Sauna Steam
- 1 Top 5 Outdoor Saunas for You
- 1.1 1. Maxxus 3 Per Low EMF FAR Infrared Carbon Corner Canadian Hemlock Sauna
- 1.2 2. 4 Person Outdoor Sauna Weather Resistant Hemlock Wood
- 1.3 3. Golden Designs AMZ-GDI-6202-03 Versailles 2-Person Far Infrared Sauna
- 1.4 4. HeatWave SA1320 Whistler 4 Person Cedar Corner Infrared Sauna
- 1.5 5. ALEKO SB5PINECP Sauna Steam Room 4
- 1.6 6. Four Person Outdoor Sauna Hemlock 220v Ceramic FIR FAR Infrared Heater
- 1.7 7. Almost Heaven Saunas
- 1.8 8. Finlandia Outdoor Sauna with Roof Kit
- 1.9 9. Finlandia Outdoor Sauna Starline Skylight Roof
- 2 Things to Consider When Buying an Outdoor Sauna
- 3 Conclusion
Top 5 Outdoor Saunas for You
While it feels like a straightforward decision to buy an outdoor sauna unit or heater for yourself, it is not, and that’s all because of the many different options available in the market. Here are some of the most popular outdoor saunas worth buying.
1. Maxxus 3 Per Low EMF FAR Infrared Carbon Corner Canadian Hemlock Sauna
- It comes with 9 infrared carbon low EMF energy-efficient heating panels
- It can hold 3 people
- It’s made from natural wood and other high-quality materials
- The wood can absorb cleaners that may be released when you are using the sauna
Maxxus Saunas are known for their privacy and healthy living. The FAR infrared carbon heating panels in the sauna allow the FAR infrared waves to penetrate and remove the body toxins efficiently. If you are suffering from joint aches or sore muscles, spending time in this sauna will take the pain away.
This sauna has 3 heating panels at each of its 2 rear walls. 2 of them are located under the bend and one is on the floorboard. It can fit 3 people inside. The temperature can go beyond 140 F.
The sauna is built from reforested Canadian hemlock wood. It has bronze tinted tempered glass door with side windows.
2. 4 Person Outdoor Sauna Weather Resistant Hemlock Wood
- It’s easy to put together
- It is spacious
- It heats up fast so that you can start enjoying your session
- It’s not made from the best materials for outdoor use
This outdoor Sauna is shaped like a Canopy. It can accommodate 3 to 4 people. It features 8 extra-large ceramic FAR infrared heaters to offer you a relaxing and soothing experience.
It’s constructed from durable Canadian waterproofed hemlock wood. It has a shingled roof on top. The weather-sealed tempered glass door locks the temperature inside. No matter what the weather outside, you will keep enjoying your time inside the unit. The Sauna has 2 glass windows as well.
4 LED reading lights are provided for those who would like to read while they are relaxing. There is a digital control panel inside. You can connect your MP3 player, iPhone or iPod with it. This is for those who like to enjoy listening to the stereo.
3. Golden Designs AMZ-GDI-6202-03 Versailles 2-Person Far Infrared Sauna
- Energy-efficient heating panels produce softer and wider heat
- The wood material retains heat well.
- It’s quick and easy to install
- It’s a bit expensive given the fact it can accommodate 2 people only.
Golden Designs Low EMF Sauna is made from reforested Canadian hemlock wood. The walls of the sauna have double panels. They are constructed with thick interior and exterior wood planks to ensure heat is retained efficiently. It heats up faster and consumes less energy.
The sauna consists of 6 low EMF FAR infrared carbon heating panels. These panel heaters are 30 percent larger than those heated by ceramic tubes. They are capable of penetrating into the skin 40 percent more.
The size of the sauna can accommodate 2 people. It can operate up to 120F to let you maximize the health benefits. Soft-touch control panel, LED display, built-in MP3 aux – these features make the sauna even more exciting.
4. HeatWave SA1320 Whistler 4 Person Cedar Corner Infrared Sauna
- Ideal for 4 people
- It’s backed by 5-years warranty
- It comes with great features to make the sauna fun
- Assembling it might be difficult for first-time users
This Sauna by HeatWave Whistler is constructed from natural red cedarwood. It consists of 10 carbon heaters and it can accommodate 4 people. The dual interior and exterior LED control panels make it easier to control the temperature. The glass panels and doors make it more beautiful.
Three carbon heaters are located at the left-back wall, three on the right back wall, 2 on the floor and 2 on the front of the bench. The sauna operates using 120v/20 amp power. It can operate at the temperature up to 141 degrees F.
With the color therapy bulb, you can choose from 6 different colors. The sauna is loaded with features like a CD player, backrest, towel hooks, oxygen ionizer, magazine rack, color therapy lights and other features.
5. ALEKO SB5PINECP Sauna Steam Room 4
- Superb barrel design to help you set it up anywhere
- Classy look both inside and outside to help spend a lot of time inside
- Touch screen panel works like a charm and makes it easy to handle the controls
- The design could be more stylish for the price
This is a big sauna for your entire family. Not only does it look classy, but it also provides all the features that you can ask for. It is very sturdily built and comes with a lot of safety features. You can leave the kids alone without any issues (of course not very young kids).
There is a transparent dome wall which initially some people may think to be unnecessary, but actually provides a nice view of surroundings and adds to the relaxation. It comes with stones of good quality and works efficiently.
You will find a touch screen panel as well that is extremely easy to use and makes it easier to control the temperatures. You can purchase additional accessories at reasonable prices. Final word – go for it, it’s a great investment for the whole family.
6. Four Person Outdoor Sauna Hemlock 220v Ceramic FIR FAR Infrared Heater
- Great design with composition shingles
- Comfortable to use
- Quick heating mechanism
- Not insulated
The look of this infrared heater outdoor sauna is quite impressive, especially with its composition shingles. Many people think that it uses wood but in reality, you will find composition shingles here. The good thing is that they have used wood in places and all of it is kiln dried to prevent health related issues.
The safety is not going to be an issue with this sauna because no glues are used in the construction process, so you can use it with confidence. You will like the fact that the sauna heats up quite quickly and is extremely comfortable to use. For added comfort, there are some extras, such as CD player, color therapy, and radio.
It is a great product as a whole, but something you need to bear in mind is that unlike many other similar outdoor saunas in the market, it is not insulated but relies on double wood walls to provide you with the kind of warmth you need.
7. Almost Heaven Saunas
- Great fun with family especially during winters
- Quality material and quite long-lasting
- The design is just awesome
- Good customer service
- The documentation is not too easy to understand (though the assembly process is easy!).
It’s great for some quality time with family as the interiors have soft lighting and cozy interiors. With a great placement of benches facing each other, it provides excellent relaxation. You will love the color and overall design.
The best part is you can customize humidity and steam levels as per your comfort level. The entire structure is quite sturdy and stands strong even during heavy rainfall. The wood gives a classy look as well gives good protection from harsh winter.
You will also find high quality sauna stones in the package. The assembly is pretty straightforward, thanks to its barrel design. Because of its design, it takes less space and still works efficiently. It is a good investment if maintained nicely.
8. Finlandia Outdoor Sauna with Roof Kit
- Beautiful design inside and outside
- Provides good insulation
- Some parts like the benches are already assembled nicely
- Bit costly compared to other brands
Beautifully designed both externally and internally, this is a great choice if you are looking for relaxation at a reasonable cost. It looks very nice after installation and the process of installation is very simple too.
It comes equipped with very nice sauna stones. The controls are quite easy to use and you can actually customize everything from temperature, humidity, and level of heating. The fiberglass insulation ensures safety and the whole unit is quite sturdy apart from the great looks even after long usage.
You can set it up on any flat surface (concrete, tile or vinyl) and it just fits perfectly. The door is wide and easy to operate. If you are not worried about a little extra cost, go for this one, it is absolutely worth the money.
9. Finlandia Outdoor Sauna Starline Skylight Roof
- The skylight roof for an amazing view
- Beautiful color and design inside and outside
- Quality is maintained even after long usage
- Doesn’t come with flooring, so you will have to find a flat surface to set it up
This is one awesome stuff to get you closer to nature. You will love the fact that it features a beautifully designed skylight roof, so relax and pamper yourself while looking at the sky!
Many users have confirmed that it is watertight and never causes leakage problems, even with heavy usage. The headrests are already assembled for the upper benches so it’s easy to assemble the other parts.
The quality of the material used is quite good and you will love the touch and feel right from the time of assembling the pieces. You can customize the heating and other parameters as per your choice. Overall, a great buy for the entire family for some quality time, especially during winters, as there is no major flaw. The addition of flooring could’ve made it a perfect product though.
Things to Consider When Buying an Outdoor Sauna
As mentioned already, there are different types of saunas with different features that make them suitable for your specific needs. Here are a few things to bear in mind when making a buying decision:
Consider the Types
Take your time and consider the type of sauna suitable for your needs. Mainly, you can choose from three types – wood-burning saunas, infrared saunas, and traditional electric saunas.
As infrared and traditional saunas heat up differently, they have different maximum temperatures. They can achieve a temperature of 160 degrees, but traditional saunas can touch 194 degrees with ease. So, buy the traditional one if you need an extreme heat sauna.
Know the Size You Need
Outdoor saunas are available in a variety of sizes, so you need to determine the size suitable for the space you have available. Moreover, you should consider how many people are going to use it at a time to determine the best size.
Unlike home saunas, the outdoor saunas can accommodate up to eight people. There are small outdoor saunas too that can accommodate a couple of people at a time.
It means that if you have a large family and most of them will be using the unit simultaneously, you may want to invest in a larger sauna in the first place.
It is worth mentioning that larger saunas are spacious but may cost you a lot as well. The upside is that they usually come with more features and even feature larger heaters to work efficiently.
Therefore, you may want to consider spending some extra cash when you have a large family and want a sauna with impressive features.
Consider the Design
While some people are not overly concerned about the design, you should not make this mistake, as it can make or break the appearance of your property in many ways. However, you should consider where you’re going to place your outdoor sauna to determine the right design option.
If you need to place a sauna in your backyard, you may want to put your money on barrel saunas, as they are likely to last longer in this case.
Square saunas are usually taller and look more like a small house with their triangle roofs. They look stylish and are suitable for most outdoor spaces.
In addition, you should consider the material before taking the plunge because you can find saunas made of cedar, hemlock, or even pine wood. The choice of materials will determine how durable the sauna is going to be.
Also, check the availability of additional features like the AUX port, LED lights, ozone therapy, speakers, Color therapy, etc. to get the best value for money.
Investing in an outdoor sauna is probably the best thing to do if you want to enjoy a sauna experience at home. Just take your time to select the right type and size of sauna suitable for your needs and the space you have available. If you don’t have time to do the research, consider one of the best-selling saunas reviewed above – because these are recommended by many others like yourself.