Algae are usually a persistent problem when they begin to develop in your spa or pool. They can grow at a fast speed and spread all over your pool. Hence, you need to get away to eliminate them and deter them from destroying your spa or swimming pool. To kill algae and deter them from reoccurring again, you need to use the best pool algaecide. Algaecides for spas and pools are used to assist you to eliminate not only algae but also small plant-like organisms which develop in your swimming pool.
Of the 3 well-known types of algae, black, green, and yellow (mustard), you will frequently find the green algae in your swimming pool. With that said, it’s not easy to determine which algaecide will be best for your swimming pool unless you know the type of algae in your pool. So, before you hit the market, let’s dive into the basics of algaecides.
- 1 What is Pool Algaecide?
- 2 Types of Pool Algae
- 3 Types of the Best Pool Algaecide and How They Work
- 4 Factors to Consider when Buying Algaecides
- 5 Here Are The Best-Selling Pool Algaecide in 2020
- 5.1 Clorox Pool and Spa Green Algae Eliminator – 42032CLX
- 5.2 PoolRX Algaecide Unit
- 5.3 PoolRx Pool Unit #101066 6 Month Algaecide Treats 20k-30k Gallons
- 5.4 Clorox Pool & Spa Algaecide + Clarifier 42128CLX
- 5.5 Clorox Pool & Spa XtraBlue Algaecide 40 Oz
- 5.6 HTH Pool Algaecide Super Algae Guard 60 (67064)
- 5.7 In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide
- 5.8 McGrayel QAWS Algatec 10064 Super Algaecide
- 5.9 Kem-Tek Pool and Spa 60% Concentrated Algaecide –KTK-50-006
- 5.10 SeaKlear 90 Days Algae Prevention and Remover
- 5.11 REVIVE! Swimming Pool Phosphate and Algae Remover Chemical
- 5.12 2 Pack – United Chemical No Mor Problems
- 6 Benefits of Using Pool Algaecide
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- 7.1 Q: Can my pool have excess algaecide and how can I reduce it?
- 7.2 Q: How much algaecide should I put in my pool?
- 7.3 Q: When should I add algaecide to my pool?
- 7.4 Q: What does it mean when an algaecide is written 50 or 60 percent?
- 7.5 Q: Are algaecide recommended for green pool?
- 7.6 Q: My pool still looks green after adding algaecide. What should I do?
- 7.7 Q: My pool looks cloudy after adding algaecide. What should I do?
- 7.8 Q: Are there homemade Algaecides for Pools?
- 7.9 Q: How long does pool algaecide take to work?
- 8 Conclusion
What is Pool Algaecide?
Since the dawn of pools, chemists and scientists have worked tirelessly to produce an effective solution to all algae problems, called algaecide. An algaecide is a chemical treatment product that kills and prevents algae growth. This product is quite effective since it’s not affected by mineral content, pH, sunlight, and water temperature, which often affect the chlorine in your swimming pool.
Types of Pool Algae
There are 3 common types of pool algae, but we will look at 4 types:
Green Algae – Also known as blue-green algae, this is the most common kind, and all it needs to develop is warmth, water, and sunlight.
Yellow Algae – This is another form of blue-green algae which is colored with yellow carotenoids. It can grow without sunlight and is chlorine resistant.
Black Algae – It is a strain of green algae that love plaster pools, where it puts down roots. A thick multi-layered cover protects it from chlorine and the majority of algaecides.
Red Algae – Also called pink slime or pink algae, this is a different type of bacteria that also happens to be chlorine resistant and can survive without sunlight.
Types of the Best Pool Algaecide and How They Work
Algaecides play a critical role in preventing swimming pool algae. They are used as algaecide to kill small, solo blooms and as algae-stat to prevent and control pool algae development. Different algaecides have different ways of controlling algae.
Quat Pool Algaecides – They are also called Quaternary Ammonium compounds and are generally detergents; that’s why their overuse might lead to some foaming to your pool. They are microbial disinfectants that attach to the negatively charged part of algae. This destroys the outer cover of the algae and hence allows the chlorine to penetrate it and destroy it. They come in 10 to 50 percent strengths or concentrations and quite economical.
Polymer Pool Algaecides – These are poly-quat elements with long carbon chains and have the benefits of both non-staining and non-foaming properties. Just like Quat Pool Algaecides, these products have a positive charge that attaches to a negatively charged algae, quickly spread over the organism, and thus smoothening its cell. These products are twice as effective as the Quat, last longer, and are also the more expensive of the two. Popular for multi-seasons pools, polymers come in 30 to 60 percent concentrations.
Metallic Pool Algaecides – They contain copper ions that have been used for many centuries in water treatment. The copper is bonded or chelated with amino acids to minimize possible staining from continued use, mainly an issue for plaster pools. Just like the other two algaecides, these products are positively charged and attach to the algae, making it weak to allow the chlorine to penetrate. They are recommended for green and black algae and come in 7 percent concentrations.
Factors to Consider when Buying Algaecides
You need to consider the following factors when buying your algaecide:
- The color of algae – Specific algaecides are made to kill and prevent specific algae.
- Bacteria – A pool with pink or red color algae means that it has bacteria and hence requires a specific type of algaecide.
- Pool friendly product – Ensure that you buy a pool-friendly algaecide.
- Long lasting product – You should go for an algaecide that will protect your pool form algae development for a very long time.
- Top performer – You don’t want to buy an algaecide that will take days to kill algae. Go for a product that kills them instantly.
- Stain removing – Watch out for this feature when getting your algaecide. Avoid product that causes stains in your pool.
- All seasons – You should get a product that protects your pool even when it’s closed during the winter. You don’t want to open your pool only to release it has turned green.
- Non–foaming – We would recommend you to get a non-foaming product as it will allow you to use your swimming pool within hours.
- Clarifying algaecide – We all hate swimming in a cloudy water. Therefore, you should get a product that can clear the water and make it look clean.
- Cost – Just like buying other products, you should watch out for the cost when purchasing algaecides for your swimming pool. It is not a must that you get the best algaecide when you pay more. Hence, watch out for the brand value, reviews, and features, before you decide on a specific brand for your pool.
At a Glance: The 7 Models We’ve Chosen as Contenders for The Best Pool Algaecide:
- Best overall: Clorox Pool and Spa Green Algae Eliminator
- Best rated pool algaecide: PoolRX Algaecide Unit
- Best for black algae: HTH Pool Algaecide Super Algae Guard 60
- Best algaecide for green pools: Kem-Tek Pool and Spa KTK-50-006
- Best algaecide for vinyl pools: PoolRx Pool Unit #101066 6 Month
Here Are The Best-Selling Pool Algaecide in 2020
Clorox Pool and Spa Green Algae Eliminator – 42032CLX
Clorox Pool and Spa Green Algae Eliminator is a fast-acting product that eliminates and deters common green algae from developing in your swimming pool. The product features a non-foaming formula that effectively kills and prevents algae from re-occurring in any type of a pool, including saltwater pools. The product gives you a clear-water pool when you use as part of your normal pool maintenance program.
The best thing about this algaecide is that you don’t need to use it every day; just use it weekly to prevent green algae from developing in your pool. This not only saves you time but also money as you will only need to buy a small quantity compared to algaecides which are used daily. For the perfect outcome, brush your pool surface weekly and then add 1.5 fl oz per 10K gallons after partial drain/refill, frequent backwash, or heavy rain.
- Kills green algae.
- Prevents algae from re-occurring.
- Only used once per week.
- Suitable for all types of pools.
- Non-foaming formula.
- You might need to use a prevent algaecide in addition to this product.
PoolRX Algaecide Unit
PoolRX Algaecide Unit comes in 4 individual units, with every unit supporting a 7.5-20K gallons swimming pool. It is an easy to use a product that lowers chemical demand to improve your pool’s water quality and it last for about 6 months. Effective for above ground pool, the product features a proprietary combination of minerals that effectively and continuously remove algae from your pool. For this to work, you need to choose the right sized product for your unit.
This expressly treated alloy product is full of mineral formulation that dissolves into your pool to form a stable shield that lasts for 6 months. The minerals prevent algae while freeing chlorine to be more productive and active in the pool.
- Last up to six months.
- Saves you money.
- Free-up chlorine to be more active.
- Perfect for above ground swimming pools.
- Dissolves easily in water.
- It’s more of a preventive product.
PoolRx Pool Unit #101066 6 Month Algaecide Treats 20k-30k Gallons
PoolRX Pool Unit #101066 is a product that treats up to 30k gallons of water and can offer protection for up to six months. I find it to be easy to place this algaecide in the pump basket, or you can put it on the skimmer basket.
It is a model that was made to get rid of all kinds of algae and reduce chemical usage. I also like it since you can use it for spa, jacuzzi, pool, and other water bodies.
- Very effective
- Easy to use
- Kills all algae
- Effective for only six months
Clorox Pool & Spa Algaecide + Clarifier 42128CLX
If you want a product that can kill and prevent algae from your pool, then I would recommend you try this algaecide from Clorox Pool & Spa. It features a built-in clarifier that ensures you get clean water for swimming in.
Another great feature that I found with this product is the non-foaming formula that keeps your facility clean. It is also the ideal product for all kinds of pools and is quite affordable.
- For all swimming pools
- Comes from a reputable brand
- Keeps the water clean
- Not quite durable
Clorox Pool & Spa XtraBlue Algaecide 40 Oz
Clorox Pool & Spa is one of the few brands that I have trusted to take care of my pool, and one of its best products is the XtraBlue Algaecide. It is an all-in-one algae killer that helps to restore the natural look of a swimming pool.
The product easily and quickly kills black, mustard, and green algae to leave the pool sparkling clean and free of contaminations. You can use the product to treat a facility of up to 25k gallons.
- For large pools
- Kills all algae
- Quite affordable
- Takes time to kill the contaminants
HTH Pool Algaecide Super Algae Guard 60 (67064)
Next, I have a 4-in-1 product that kills and prevents algae from attacking your pool in the future. It is a model that takes care of yellow, green, and black algae and is quite affordable.
One feature that I find to be interesting is the non-foaming ability of the algaecide, and that helps to keep the water clear. It also comes with a 60% strength that makes it safe for use in pools.
It is also straightforward to apply the product in your spa or pool.
- Kills green, yellow, and black algae
- Non-foaming formula
- 60% strength
- Not quite effective
In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide
In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide is a highly concentrated and powerful copper-based product that gives you over 15 does in just one quarter. Because of its high concentration, this algaecide is used in easy to measure and small doses but still works much better than most of its rivals. It is able to control all types of algae in pools or spas without the unsightly and troublesome foaming that is caused by some algaecides.
The best thing about this product is that it’s a safe, effective, and reliable algaecide that kills and prevents algae from re-occurring in your swimming pool and keeps the water clear and enticing. The product comes in various quantities and for an amazing value so you can get a clean, algae-free swimming pool without straining your finances. The spring start-up dosage for this product is 4 ounces per 10K gallons while the maintenance dosage is only 2 ounces per 10K gallons, making it very economical.
- Very effective against most algae.
- Offers superior algae-elimination power.
- Safe enough to swim immediately after use.
- Non-foaming formula.
- Perfect for spring pool opening.
- Not the cheapest brand on the market.
McGrayel QAWS Algatec 10064 Super Algaecide
Another product that I find to be effective in cleaning algae from a pool is the McGrayel 10064 product. It is a unit that leaves the pH of your pool in the right condition and starves algae to death.
The model starts to clean your pool within eight hours and can offer protection of black algae for up to 10 days. You can also use it in a salty pool and helps to clarify the water of your facility.
- Starves all algae
- Non-foaming formula
- Friendly to the environment
- Protect for about 10 days for black algae
Kem-Tek Pool and Spa 60% Concentrated Algaecide –KTK-50-006
Kem-Tek Pool and Spa 60% Concentrated Algaecide is amongst the best algaecides for green pool that removes any type of algae and deters the re-occurrence after use. It comes with a safe non-foaming formula which works perfectly for your facility without causing any damage. The product boast of 60 percent algaecide concentration that provides you with the pool clarity you have always wanted for your pool.
Another great feature of this product is it lasts longer than other algaecides as it doesn’t disperse immediately into the water. This feature also makes it perfect for preventing the reemergence of algae. The best thing about this product is that it also kills other organisms in your swimming pool, leaving it free of any contamination. It is also perfect for saltwater pools and is quite affordable.
- Long lasting product.
- Perfect for prevention and treatment.
- Helps clarify your pool’s water.
- Safe for use in all pools and filters.
- Non-foaming product.
- You might need to wait before you use your pool after using this product.
SeaKlear 90 Days Algae Prevention and Remover
SeaKlear 90 days Algae Prevention and Remover can be classified as one of the best pool algaecides on the market today. It is a concentrated product that removes and prevents the algae from developing in your swimming pool. One thing you will love about SeaKlear is its 90 days algae-free swimming pool guarantee. It kills and prevents all types of algae, including the blue-green algae, yellow algae, black algae, and more.
Just like the best algaecides out there, it is a non-foaming, non-staining product when used according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The product contains about 11.8 percent copper sulfate pentahydrate as well as 3 percent copper as elemental. An effective and reliable product for pools and spas, this algaecide offers you the safe and clear water you have always wanted. With this product, you can say no to algae for good.
- Removes all types of algae.
- Quite effective.
- Prevents the development of algae.
- Comes with a 90 days algae-free guarantee.
- Non-foaming, non-staining product.
- Doesn’t last long.
REVIVE! Swimming Pool Phosphate and Algae Remover Chemical
REVIVE! Swimming Pool Phosphate and Algae Remover is an amazing initial pool treatment for removing potential issues in new facilities, well-source water, and spring starts. It is a super spot product that cleans out phosphates (algae food), iron, copper, organic debris, scaling carbonates, and other clouding elements that make your swimming pool dirty. The best thing is that it acts pretty fast and makes the water to be crystal clear and more attractive.
The product’s effective formula removes the green algae as well as yellow algae from your swimming pool within minutes. Specially made for all types of swimming pool or any other relaxing area such as a spa, the product is able to do the fighting for you leaving you the much needed time to accomplish other chores. It also boasts of a non-foaming formula that ensures your pool will remain intact even after prolonged periods of using it.
- Perfect for new pools.
- Removes most elements.
- Cleans your pool pretty fast.
- Removes green and yellow algae.
- Non-foaming product.
- Might not kill some organisms.
2 Pack – United Chemical No Mor Problems
2 Pack – United Chemical No Mor Problems is a product that ensures that you do no more shocking, no more clarifying, and no more brushing of your swimming pool. The no mor problems are a patented formula that is reserved as an E.P.A algaecide. It was developed after 3 decades of field research and has come to be one of the best preventative algaecides on the market today. This product provides spectacular water clarity as well as a sparkling pool, yet it isn’t a polymer.
The algaecide greatly reduces your need to wash your swimming pool filters, yet it cannot be said to be a filter aid. It makes your pool’s water to be crystal clear such that you cannot see any floating element on the waterline. The best thing about this product is that you can use it with all kinds of sanitizers, including salt systems, ionization, and biguanides. In addition, you can use this product in all types of swimming pools.
- Perfect for all types of pools.
- Leaves crystal clear water.
- Eliminates the need for shocking and brushing. (Read more :How to shock a swimming pool )
- Makes the filter clean.
- Can be used with all sanitizers.
- It is a harsh chemical.
Benefits of Using Pool Algaecide
If you ask a professional about the main benefits of using the best pool algaecide, he/she would respond that the main benefits are killing and preventing algae.
Algaecides are capable of destroying the algae and keeping the bottom of your pool, be it a hidden on, free from algae and clean. The best algaecide is a powdered or liquid product as it can chemically remove the algae faster. There is no other product that can kill algae as fast as algaecides and that why pool owners spend a lot of money when buying them.
Every outdoor swimming pool faces a continuous onslaught of algae that swimmers, rain, and wind introduce. When the environment is perfect, you can easily find yourself with a swimming pool infested by algae if you do not manage your pool properly. Preventing these organisms can be time-consuming and costly, but algaecides offer a faster and cheaper method of preventing algae from developing.
The right way to prevent these nuisances is to employ a consistent, good pool-maintenance habit by:
- Having a clean filter that is functioning well and circulating the water.
- Conduction a weekly scrubbing of your pool, floors, walls, and steps.
- Testing the water and balancing the various chemical inside it.
When everything is right, it is time to use the best algaecide to prevent the development of algae.
Proper use of algaecides will result in an inviting, crystal clear, and safe swimming pool for you and your family to enjoy it.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Here are some of the FAQs about pool algaecides and their answers:
Q: Can my pool have excess algaecide and how can I reduce it?
A: Yes. If you have added too much algaecide your pool will have excess product. And the excess amount of any chemical is harmful to the environment. Removing some water from your pool and then topping up with fresh water is one of the options that you can use to reduce the amount of algaecide in your pool. If you aren’t in a hurry to dive into your pool, then you can wait for a few days so that some amount of algaecide is lost through evaporation.
Q: How much algaecide should I put in my pool?
A: We would advise you to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to compute the amount of algaecide you should use for your pool.
Q: When should I add algaecide to my pool?
A: It will depend on your motive. Do you want to prevent the development of algae or do you want to kill algae? For prevention, you should add it after cleaning your pool. For killing, you should add it when you start to see algae in your pool.
Q: What does it mean when an algaecide is written 50 or 60 percent?
A: This means that the product has 50 percent concentration or strength or 60 percent strength. All concentrations are very effective, depending on the type of algae in your swimming pool.
Q: Are algaecide recommended for green pool?
A: Yes. Some of these products are quite effective against the green algae. They can turn green pools into clean pools within minutes of adding them. You may also use any effective chlorine that can destroy that types of algae and then add any other type of algaecide to turn the green pool into a clear pool.
Q: My pool still looks green after adding algaecide. What should I do?
A: You should add chlorine, to kill the green algae, and then add the algaecide. Your swimming pool will turn from green to clean.
Q: My pool looks cloudy after adding algaecide. What should I do?
A: First, you need to know why your pool is cloudy. There are hundreds of reasons for this situation including bad filters and less chlorine. Ensure that the filters are clean, the chlorine is sufficient and then add algaecide. The problem will be solved.
Q: Are there homemade Algaecides for Pools?
A: Yes. There are some pool shops that sell homemade products.
Q: How long does pool algaecide take to work?
A: It depends on the brand. Some products take minutes to work while others will take hours.
Algae in your pool should be killed as soon as possible to avoid them from contaminating your swimming pool. To do that, you need to figure out what is the best pool algaecide for your pool. With that said, Clorox Pool and Spa Green Algae Eliminator – 42032CLX might be a great product for your pool as it kills green algae, prevents algae from re-occurring, perfect for all pools, and doesn’t produce foam.