UPDATED: Nov 01, 2019.
Enjoying your time in your pool can be both relaxing and entertaining, but you have to ensure that your pool stays clean even when you use it after several days. To ensure cleanliness, a good pool cover is a must. However, rolling and unrolling the cover can be a pain in the neck unless you buy a good quality swimming pool cover reel.
At a Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Pool Cover Reel:
- Best Choice Products Pool Cover Reel (Top Pick)
- Aqua Splash 16 Ft Blanket Reel (Top Rated)
- VINGLI Pool Cover Reel (Editor Choice)
- Nova Microdermabrasion Pool Cover Reel
- ARKSEN Stainless Steel Solar Cover Reel
- Kokido Stainless Steel Pool Cover Reel
- Automatic Solar Blanket Cover Reel/Roller
- 1 Top 7 Pool Cover Reels for You
- 1.1 Best Choice Products 21ft Pool Cover Reel
- 1.2 Aqua Splash 16 Ft Blanket Reel
- 1.3 VINGLI Pool Cover Reel Set Aluminum Solar Swimming Inground Cover Blanket Reel, Up to 18-Feet Wide x 40-Feet Length
- 1.4 Nova Microdermabrasion Swimming Pool Cover Reel
- 1.5 ARKSEN Stainless Steel Solar Cover Reel
- 1.6 Kokido Stainless Steel Pool Cover Reel Set
- 1.7 Automatic Solar Blanket Cover Reel/Roller – Remote Controlled, Solar Battery Powered
- 2 Important Considerations When Buying a Pool Cover Reel
- 3 The Bottom Line
Top 7 Pool Cover Reels for You
With the right type of pool reel installed, you can cover and uncover your pool within a couple of minutes. If you’re unsure which reel will best suit your pool, don’t miss out on these great options. But bear in mind that they all have their pros and cons, so compare them all to pick what suits you the most.
Best Choice Products 21ft Pool Cover Reel
- Stainless steel and aluminum construction for rust-free use
- Hand crank to roll up the cover with ease
- Velcro attachment points to secure it properly
- Adhesive dabs are not durable
If you’re looking for a strongly built pool cover reel, this reel from the Best Choice Products certainly cuts the bill. The use of highly durable stainless aluminum means you don’t have to worry about rust or corrosion. Even though this is sturdy, it is still lightweight enough for one person to roll up a pool cover. The presence of a hand crank simplifies the task even more.
It comes equipped with plastic, treaded tires, which means you won’t have to face any issues moving it around. Another good thing is that it comes with as many as 8 straps to attach your solar cover with utmost ease. What’s more, the resting turn wheel holds up really well even in the hot sun, but you may notice that the adhesive dabs are not that durable. Overall, it performs really well and does what it is supposed to do.
Aqua Splash 16 Ft Blanket Reel
- 3-way end design for ease of use
- Wide-track bearings and dual handles to roll the cover with ease
- Blanket attachment kit and hardware included for installation
- The instructions to install are a bit confusing.
This solar cover blanket reel by Aqua Splash is a popular option mainly because of its 3-way end design that allows for fence mounting, stationary placement, and improved mobility. You will find wide-track bearings because of which rolling and turning the reel becomes a breeze. The presence of conveniently placed handles means you can handle the cover with utmost ease.
One common issue with reels is that they do nothing to prevent sagging. Thankfully, the Aqua Splash reel is different and uses specially designed telescoping tubes with a rib-locking design to ensure you don’t have to deal with sagging. The build quality is also nice and all the components resistant corrosion for long-lasting performance.
You will find it easy to install the reel because it contains hardware as well as a blanket attachment kit. Overall, it delivers good performance, but the only issue you may face is that the legs are stationary and you cannot adjust them according to the space you have.
VINGLI Pool Cover Reel Set Aluminum Solar Swimming Inground Cover Blanket Reel, Up to 18-Feet Wide x 40-Feet Length
- Variable roll-up system for easy handling
- Durable, maintenance-free, rust-free construction
- Fit in all shape pool
- Installation may be a bit tricky for some
This swimming pool cover reel features sturdy constructions that provides maximum durability. With featuring 3-section aluminum pipe design, it would not droop even if it was used for a long time. Moreover, with embedded strap link, the pulling force is bigger and more stable.
One hand crank on one end for smooth operation allows you to roll and unroll the cover and 2 wheels for easy portability. Besides, this reel has a mechanical lock to prevent rotation of roller when cover is rolled. Extra gift of a number of clips.
Nova Microdermabrasion Swimming Pool Cover Reel
- Extremely easy to use
- Durable construction with 3-section thick aluminum pipe
- Includes straps with connectors and clips.
- The instructions are poor to follow
This pool cover roller is suitable for 17.5’ft to21’ft wide in-ground swimming pools. Solar cover rolls up safely on 3 ¼”diameter tubing and the ttem comes with 3 poles (each 8.038′ ft), which can allow this reel to accommodate a .
Another good thing about the winder is its cost-effectiveness. As compared to many other pool cover reels, the winder costs you less and works efficiently at the same time. Something that makes it a good buy is the fact that it is made using anodized aluminum tubes. The telescopic winder is sure to serve you for years without any problem.
ARKSEN Stainless Steel Solar Cover Reel
- Works efficiently to roll and unroll the cover in minutes
- A plastic piece to help attach the straps to the reel
- Stainless steel frame for durability
- The instructions are not that straightforward.
This ARKSEN pool cover reel helps you to roll the cover off of your pool in less than a minute, and you can unroll it completely within 3 minutes. It’s quick for sure, but an even better thing is that it is quite sturdy because of its stainless steel frame and is likely to last a long time.
Another good thing is that the reel works pretty well for oval shaped pools. The only thing to consider is that though assembly is easy, the instructions could have been better to make installation a breeze. If you manage to assemble it, you won’t face an issue in terms of performance.
Kokido Stainless Steel Pool Cover Reel Set
- Stainless construction for durability
- Crank arm for easy handling
- Clips, Velcro, and straps included for easy installation
- Installation is not hard but not super simpler either
This stainless steel pool cover reel is a high performer. The build quality looks impressive with no issues related to rust. There are grooved aluminum sections for added durability. The crank arm is easy to use and helps you roll and unroll the cover quickly.
Many people ask if the pool cover reel will work for their odd-shaped pool, and the answer is yes. You just need to ensure that the cover you use matches the shape of your pool and the reel will do its job perfectly.
You will also like how rigid the tubes that make up the pole are. It means you won’t notice any sag. Overall, it’s quite impressive, but you may find it a bit overpriced as compared to other similar reels.
Automatic Solar Blanket Cover Reel/Roller – Remote Controlled, Solar Battery Powered
- Log solar blanket without the hassle of cranking
- Roll up ¼” thick solar blanket from18x36’ pool in less than one minute
- Price is quite high
This cover reel system includes: solar panel, battery, 2 handheld remote controllers, AC/DC indoor battery charger for charging and conditioning the battery while the system is in winter storage, to keep your battery fully charged and ready for the next season.
The motorized-system does not include the tube and blanket, so you have to purchase separately the 3″ diameter tube and blanket attachment kit.
Important Considerations When Buying a Pool Cover Reel
When it comes to buying the best pool cover reel, you should not make a hasty decision. Here are a few points to consider before finalizing your buying decision:
- Gauge the build. A closer look at the construction will tell you if the model is capable of handling the elements. Durability should be your prime concern here. Aluminum reels are better, but some steel reels are equally good. Aluminum reels are extremely lightweight, which is an added benefit. Avoid thin plastic reels, but some reels made of strong plastics may work fine.
- Consider the installation. Sometimes, the assembly process can be overly complicated. Some reels are of high quality, but they require you to assemble so many parts, making it difficult to use them right out of the box. Opt for a model that comes with complete instructions and minimal assembly requirements.
- Pay attention to how easy it is to use the reel. Not all of them work in the same way, especially when you opt for a typical winder.
- Consider the quality of the crank arm. Understand that a heavy duty crank arm will make it easier to roll and unroll the pool cover, and it will last a long time as well. Pay attention to the build quality before taking the plunge.
- Consider your budget before making a choice. Sometimes, spending some extra money means getting a high-quality reel from a reputable brand. Don’t shy away from making that investment to get a long-lasting reel.
The Bottom Line
The fact of the matter is that without using a pool cover, you will have a hard time maintaining your pool, and without a reel, handling your cover will be a mess. Just be sure to consider your budget and don’t forget to make a comparison before you decide to buy a pool cover reel for your home.