UPDATED: Jan 09, 2020.
A fresh coat of paint can easily change the feel and look of your pool within minutes. Choosing the perfect paint for your pool deck will help to ensure that the job gets done and the right way.
Therefore, whether you are looking for the best pool deck paint for your brand new swimming pool or because yours is fading, blistering, chalking, or bubbling, this post got your back.
In this pool deck paint reviews and guide, you will get six of the best paints on the shelves today and a guide to follow when buying your paint.
At a Glance: Our 6 Choices for Best Pool Deck Paint to Feature in This Article:
- Deck-O-Seal Deck O Seal Tan 4701033 (Top Pick)
- Deck-O-Seal Deck O Seal Gray 4701032 (Top Rated)
- In The Swim Patio and Deck Paint Buff Tan (Editor Choice)
- Encore Coatings Cool Pool Deck Coating
- In The Swim Patio And Deck Paint White
- 1 Here Are The Best-Selling Pool Deck Paint in 2020
- 1.1 1. DECK-O-SEAL Deck O Seal Tan 4701033
- 1.2 2. Deck-O-Seal Deck O Seal Gray 4701032
- 1.3 3. In The Swim Patio and Deck Paint Buff Tan
- 1.4 4. Encore Coatings Cool Pool Deck Coating
- 1.5 5. In The Swim Patio And Deck Paint White
- 1.6 6. National Pool Finishes Deck Kote
- 1.7 7. Dyco Pool Deck 5-Gal. 9060 Cream Low Sheen Waterborne Acrylic Stain
- 1.8 8. DeckWise Ipe Seal Hardwood Endgrain Sealant
- 1.9 9. Kelly Technical 1-Gal. Olympic Patio Tones Deck Coatings Sand Valley
- 2 Pool Deck Paint Buying Guide
- 3 Pool Deck Paint FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Here Are The Best-Selling Pool Deck Paint in 2020
Below is a review of the top 6 pool deck paints on the market today.
1. DECK-O-SEAL Deck O Seal Tan 4701033
The Tan 4701033 is a non-staining paint that cures under ambient temperature to form a flexible, firm, and tear-free rubber. Another great feature of this product is its excellent recovery qualities and is highly resilient.
Moreover, it is able to resist the majority of pool chemicals, meaning that it won’t get damaged easily. It is also resistance to shrinkage, aging, and harsh weather conditions. What this means is that when you use this paint from DECK O SEAL, you are assured of having an evergreen deck.
You can use this paint to seal joints in order to provide a weather-tight, flexible, and firm surface. Actually, it was made for sealing joints on a pool deck and can be used for both the exterior and interior use.
2. Deck-O-Seal Deck O Seal Gray 4701032
Deck-O-Seal is a polysulfide-based sealant made of a premium-grade material that makes it be effective. It is a non-staining product that cures at an ambient condition to a tear-resistant, flexible, and firm rubber.
The paint is highly resilient and has super recovery qualities after extended periods of elongation or compression. It also has an amazing resistance to chemicals, shrinkage, aging, and weather conditions. Due to this, it is used for sealing and caulking joints to provide a flexible, firm, and weather-tight seal.
Actually, it is perfect for sealing joints on pool decks and is applicable for both exterior and interior use. Another great feature of this product is the ability to resist UV lights and abrasion. It also comes in an easy to handle package that contains the right ratio of base to the agent, which you should maintain.
3. In The Swim Patio and Deck Paint Buff Tan
Here is an excellent pool deck pain that I would recommend you if you want to restore your facility’s color. It is ideal for all concrete surfaces and covers up to 125 sq. ft. per gallon to make sure that you get value for your money.
I like the fact that it leaves a non-slip surface when it gets dry, and it takes just a few hours to dry. You can walk on your deck with confidence and know that there is no possibility of an accident occurring.
Besides, you can apply it to a damp floor, and it still provides the excellent finish you have always wanted. Note that you might need to add two coats if you are painting a new deck.
It is the paint to give you value for your money.
4. Encore Coatings Cool Pool Deck Coating
Another paint that have made it in my list is this product from Encore Coatings, and it covers up to 200 sq. ft. per gallon. It is a model that you can use to resurface your old deck and restore its beauty.
One thing I love is the ability of the paint to reduce heat by 38% – you can have peace of mind that your deck will remain cool. And you can easily tint it to any color to ensure that you match your pool décor and liking.
Another thing with this product is that you are guaranteed satisfaction when you use it. It also provides value for your money since a little goes a long way.
The paint has been shown to provide your deck with the long life it desires to remain in top condition.
5. In The Swim Patio And Deck Paint White
This is a non-slip deck and patio coat that is better than most paints on the market today. That is made possible by the fact that it makes your deck surface safer for sunbathing and walking due to its non-slip nature.
Each bucket usually covers about 100 to 125 sq. ft. per gallon and for the first time use, you will require at least 2 coats to get it done the right way. Furthermore, this paint can be used to worn concrete or wood decks to revitalize them, providing them with fresh life.
Moreover, you don’t need to mix anything before you apply it; hence, no hassles or messy pre-mixing. The coat is extremely durable and is easy to clean using a garden hose. With that said, you will need an oil based primer to apply the paint on wood.
6. National Pool Finishes Deck Kote
Another paint that I want to look that you can use to paint your deck is the National Pool Finishes Deck Kote. It is a water-based paint that you can easily clean with water and soap to ensure that you leave no fumes behind.
Another thing I like about this pain is the ability to reduce the deck’s temperature by up to 20 degrees. That means you don’t need to worry about your surfaces being exposed to UV rays, and it dries within three days.
It also provides a durable finish that prolongs your deck life to ensure that you continue to use it without worrying about anything. Besides, the pain is resistant to all pool chemicals and provide long-lasting protection.
I also like the fact that you get a smooth surface that is non-slip to guarantee that you have a safe deck.
7. Dyco Pool Deck 5-Gal. 9060 Cream Low Sheen Waterborne Acrylic Stain
The Dyco Pool Deck 5-gal is a waterborne product with high-quality film characteristics. It was designed to offer a low sheen hard shield finish on all concrete surfaces as well as pool decks.
The unit features a UV inhibitor that ensures the cover will last for long when applied on your deck. Furthermore, it is resistant to most harsh chemicals that are used in the pool. One thing that you should note about this paint is that it might make your deck slippery when wet.
Compared to most brands out there, this paint is quite affordable and will go a long way to make your deck look fresh and new. It is also very easy to apply and won’t get damaged easily.
8. DeckWise Ipe Seal Hardwood Endgrain Sealant
DeckWise Ipe is a wax-based sealer that has been shown to increase the structural durability of hardwood deck. It was made to prevent and check drying splits in newly installed lumber, logs, and blanks. As well, it protects other exposed wood ending and face grain.
Actually, this product forms a bond that prolongs the life of your deck board. One can of this product often cover around 500 sq. ft. of decking, meaning that you don’t require a lot of paint to cover your deck.
Perfect for applying within 24 hours after cutting, this coating is pretty effective and will provide the maximum benefits within this time. Note that the coat might change the color of your deck, depending on dryness and species of the wood used to make your deck.
9. Kelly Technical 1-Gal. Olympic Patio Tones Deck Coatings Sand Valley
With Olympic Patio Tones Deck and coating, you can easily give your swimming pool as well as deck surface a fresh and updated look. You only need to choose the ideal tone for your patio surface, apply the paint, and enjoy as your deck gets a new life and change your outdoor area.
This water based non-slip coating provides more than just the ordinary paint job, as it deeply penetrates the surface to offer a slip-free surface. The paint can even cover damage when painted over broken concrete or pesky cracks.
Another key feature, this coat is resistant to chipping and peeling for years. Actually, it is extremely durable even under harsh climate and is a great solution for improving and updating your pool’s deck.
Pool Deck Paint Buying Guide
Choosing the right paint for your deck can be hard since there are dozens of paints out there. Each type has its own pros and cons but there are things you can do to ensure that you get the model that suits your need.
Properties of Best Deck Paint
The best paint should have the following 4 properties:
- Wear-resistance – This will guarantee durability.
- Prevent cracking – Precipitation and UV rays affect the deck and its structure begins to change, which can utmost result in warping.
- High-quality decorative element – This will come in handy to preserve the deck’s original look over the years.
- Protect the surface from insects and microorganisms – The truth is; pool decks are a great environment for mold and fungus development and it often attracts insects.
In short, deck paint should form the perfect appeal and protection.
Types of Deck Paint
There are different types of deck paints. These include:
Oil Deck Paint – This paint features 2 main elements: mineral and oil additives. You need to stair this paint well before you apply it. One of its main features is amazing bonding but it takes long to dry.
Alkyd Deck Paint – It is a great alternative to oil based paints. It contains resin, glycerin, oils, and a fine fraction of granite and sand. Its main properties include affordability and resistance to harsh weather conditions.
Water-Based Deck Paint – This is the most popular type of deck paint. This is because it offers both superb durability and qualities. There are different kinds of this paint including:
- Acrylic deck paint – some of its qualities include resistance to harsh weather conditions, excellent water vapor permeability, and good covering ability.
- Rubber/Latex deck paint – some of its qualities include safe for human, excellent durability, and water vapor permeability.
Deck Paint Choice Criteria
What is the best pool deck paint? Any statement that states one product is better than the others would be inappropriate. It’s necessary to consider the following:
- Manufacturer – Go for a manufacturer that is trustworthy.
- Expiration date – This is the first thing you should check before you buy your paint.
- Price – High price doesn’t always translate to high quality, and a cheap paint might not be ideal either.
- Appearance – It will depend on your preference.
- Prepping – Every type of deck paint will require special primers and treatments.
Pool Deck Paint FAQs
Q: Which is the ideal deck paint to buy?
A: You can choose one of the products we have reviewed above to ensure that you get the right paint for your deck. Also, always buy paint from a reputable brand.
Q: What is the process of preparing my pool deck before painting?
A: The process is very easy:
- Clean your deck.
- Leave it to dry.
- Apply the paint
Q: Why should I prepare the deck before painting?
A: This is to ensure that you paint on a clean surface and avoid the paint from being contaminated and peeling of soon. It also makes it easier to paint your pool deck.
Q: Can I paint a pitted or damaged pool deck?
A: You can paint a damaged pool deck but ensure that it is stable. Simply follow the normal process of painting a pool deck and it will look new.
Q: Paints and stains: what is the difference?
A: Paint is thicker than stain, harder, to apply, and more expensive. Stain soaks into your deck, changing its normal color and proving sheen.
Q: What are the benefits of painting a pool deck?
A: The main benefit of painting a pool deck is to ensure that it gets a new life. It will look new after painting it and make it more attractive.
Q: How to Paint Concrete Pool Decks? A: Follow these steps:
- Clean your concrete pool deck thoroughly using soap and water and let it dry.
- Fill your pump sprayer with a concrete sealer and spray it evenly over your specific deck.
- Leave it to cure for about 24 hours.
- Fill your paint tray using concrete pool deck paint.
- Add some nonskid additive.
- Roll the paint over your deck using a handled roller from the far end toward the surface with the most room (do not step on the deck).
- Lets it dry for about 24 hours and then add a second coat if needed.
Q: How Do You Clean a Concrete Pool Deck? A: Follow these steps:
- Fill a bucket with bleach and water (ratio of 1:1).
- Clear the deck with a pressurized garden hose.
- Pour two quarts of the solution on the deck and scrub with a scrubbing brush.
- Repeat until the whole deck is clean.
- Rinse your deck with the garden hose.
- Prepare a thick stain remover by mixing bleach, water, and flour.
- Spread the paste over the stains and let it dry for about three hours.
- Clean the area using a hose and repeat for all stains.
Q: What is the Difference Between Concrete Stain and Paint? A: There are a few differences between a concrete stain and concrete paint:
- Paint remains on top of the concrete to protect it while stain soaks into the concrete.
- Stain can fade over time (use a sealer to prevent that), while paint can peel over time (apply it properly).
- Paint is applied using a brush while a stain requires a sprayer.
Pool decks are more than just floors for walking on; they are visual hallmarks of your swimming pool. Many people want their decks to reflect their level or look of quality, and the best way to ensure this is to paint them using the best pool deck paint.