Top 8 Best Pool Pump on the Market
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 8 Best Pool Pump on the Market
- 1.1 Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5-HP Max-Rated
- 1.2 Pentair 340041 SuperFlo High-Performance , 2½ Horsepower, 230 Volt
- 1.3 Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground
- 1.4 Pentair 011486 WhisperFlo High-Performance Energy Efficient Full Rated Pump
- 1.5 Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo, 230 Volt, Single Phase, Energy Star Certified
- 1.6 Pentair 342001 SuperFlo , 1 1/2 Horsepower, 115/208-230 Volt
- 1.7 Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High-Performance Pool Pump
- 1.8 Pentair 011017 IntelliFlo VS+SVRS High-Performance Pool Pump
- 2 Our pick
Hayward SP2610X15 Super Pump 1.5-HP Max-Rated
This top rated single speed pool pump for in-ground pools and spas is one of the most recognizable pool pumps on the market; In fact, this pump is frequently used in tutorials to explain the mechanics of pool pumps to people. It is well known for its durability and high performance. The Noryl impeller inside the super pump is very energy efficient and runs at lower horsepower while producing higher flow rates than average allowing you to save money. Furthermore, this pool pump is self-priming because it has a built-in diffuser.
It has a large transparent 110 cubic-inch debris basket which is explicitly designed to require minimum maintenance. It is easy to install and requires no tools to open the strainer, and the strainer itself has no moving parts. The unit’s dimensions are 12.31 x 10 inches, and it weighs 39.2 pounds. The super pump is designed to allow easy access the internal parts in the event you need to perform some maintenance on the motor components. You will get a lot out of this pump for the money you pay for it. It is made out of Perma glass which is able to resist corrosion and allow the engine to perform for many years at top performance.
- The super pump is energy efficient
- This pump is Low maintenance and easy access to internal parts
- This “Hayward Super Pump” in particular is well known for its durability.
- The super pump must be winterized by draining the water from the inside of the pump. While it is easy to access it can damage the pump if you forget to do so as the super pump is designed, to always be full of water.
- While the pump has high performance, it is still limited by its low power motor.
Pentair 340041 SuperFlo High-Performance , 2½ Horsepower, 230 Volt
This Pump is designed to have a minimal footprint on both your life and the environment. It has a clear see through lid to allow you to know at a glance when the debris basket is full. The motor is able to run on 230 volts and produces very little sound. This pool pump is also specially designed to fit into compact spaces. Because the motor can run on such low power, it will suffer less wear and tear over the years, allowing you to get the most out the pump. Because of the high horse, the power of this pump it is ideal for inground pools rather than Intex pools.
Its dimensions are 27.8 x 14.8 x 12.5 inches, and it weighs just 43.8 pounds.
- The Super-Flo is very quite.
- The unit costs little energy to operate and thus can potentially save you money in comparison to an energy hog pool pump.
- It fits in compact spaces so you can better hide unsightly piping.
- The low power motor could mean more limited capabilities.
- Warranty on applies if you have the unit professionally installed.
Hayward SP15932S Power-Flo Matrix 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground
This top rated 2 speed pool pump could be an excellent choice for your above ground pool. With just the push of one button, it can convert from horizontal to a vertical orientation which gives you a lot more flexibility on how and where you set it up around your pool. This pump works for above ground pool, and it works for Intex pools.
This pump comes with an industrial sized strainer basket which allows for longer periods of time to pass before you need to clean it. The Power-Flo Matrix also features energy efficient, but still heavy duty motor that can handle the toughest jobs. The pump is very quiet when it is run at the low-speed setting. Its dimensions are 23 x 10 x 11 inches, and it weighs 4 ounces.
- The Power-Flo Matrix comes with a one-year limited warranty.
- It is easy to adjust from vertical to horizontal orientation.
- The pump is energy efficient while still having some power when used at the higher of the 2 speed settings.
- The Power Flo works with both above ground and Intex pools.
- This pump does not come with a hose to connect to a pool filter.
- If you run the Power-Flo Matrix on low speed, you must keep it constantly running for it to do its job decently.
- While it is one of the top rated above ground pools pumps on the market, I can potentially damage the lining of your Intex pool if you constantly run the pump at it 1.5 horsepower.
- You must make sure that your pump and filter are compatible with this pump may be too powerful for some filters to handle.
Pentair 011486 WhisperFlo High-Performance Energy Efficient Full Rated Pump
The Whisper Flo is one of the best pool pumps on the market for those who want a silent operation. It uses a specially designed Funnel-Flo diffuser and high-efficiency impeller in allowing for less turbulence within the pump resulting in a much quieter and smoother operation.
It features an oversized strainer basket to reduce the frequency of maintenance, and it uses less horsepower to provide the necessary water flow making it more energy efficient. In fact, the Whisper Flo offers the highest performance of any 2 speed pool pump with less energy consumption. The Whisper Flo was also designed to be heat and corrosion resistant, rust proof and has been built to last a long time. It is highly compatible with most cleaning systems, jet action spas, and many different types of filters. The pump dimensions are 12.2 x 15 inches, and it weighs 47.5 pounds.
- It is very quiet and is, in fact, quieter than most other 2 speed pumps in its class.
- It is specially designed to be very durable.
- It could be limited by its low power motor, (although this pump seems to have managed to overcome its limited motor.
- The limited warranty only applies if you have a professional install the pump.
Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo, 230 Volt, Single Phase, Energy Star Certified
The Hayward Maxflo is one of the easiest variable speed pumps to program. It has a built-in time clock which makes setting your pool pump up much easier than with the traditional countdown timer based models. The digital interface also allows the user to read the power consumption of the pump and provides customizable speeds. This top rated pump can be used for both in ground and above ground pools and has a two-way rotatable user interface screen so that you can easily read and program it from different angles. The Max-Flo is also one of the few pumps on the market that allows you to customize the speed, timing and even the priming time. This gives you a lot more options when setting up the pump for your individual needs.
This pump is also energy star certified and is completely compliant with the pool pump industry regulations. The Maxflo is one on the pool pump industries most energy efficient pool pumps. It features advanced permanent magnet, and fan cooled motor for optimal efficiency and durability. The Maxflow has a built in skimmer and has stainless steel shafts to prevent rust from building up. Its dimensions are 24 x 13 x 12 inches, and it weighs just 28 pounds.
- The Maxflo is very energy efficient and quite.
- The pump is easy to program, and it displays its energy usage on a digital screen
- It has a large debris basket.
- Has a lot of customization options, making it the perfect pump whatever your needs.
- Has some electrical wiring that might be difficult to set up if you are inexperienced. (However, it does come with a helpful guide which Hayward claims make the process easier.)
- It must have at least 230 volts to operate.
- The display can be difficult to read in the sun or bright lights.
- Self-install pumps will void the 1-year warranty.
Pentair 342001 SuperFlo , 1 1/2 Horsepower, 115/208-230 Volt
The SuperFlo VS, Variable Speed Pump, is very energy efficient and can save you up to 80% the energy usage that other pumps need to use in order to operate. It has a built-in real time clock with memory that lasts up to 24 hours, and it is easy to program up to 3 different speed settings. The SuperFlo can run on very little power ranging between 110-230 volts while still producing 1.5 horsepower and is incredibly quiet. Its dimensions are 28 x 15.5 x 12.5 inches, and it weighs 52 pounds.
- The pump has a 24-hour real time clock with memory retention capabilities.
- It is easy to program with three programmable speed settings.
- It is simple to install and is very quiet.
- While the pump is advertised as simple to install with a one-year limited warranty, this only applies if you have a professional install it for you. In other words, if you perform the “simple” installation as advertised then this company does not have to honor their one-year limited warranty and instead only honors the warranty for 60 days.
- If purchased through Amazon the 1-year warranty may not apply.
- The pump has in (rare cases) been reported to have failed within a few months. This can be very costly as the warranty is unreliable.
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High-Performance Pool Pump
The top rated Pentair Intelliflo is one of the most energy efficient pool pumps on the market. It has an eight-speed setting so that you can customize the pump to your specific needs. Furthermore, by using the exact speed necessary for your pool, you will not only save energy, but your pump and filter can have more time to clean your pool water than they would with a higher than necessary pump speed. The pump can produce up to 90% energy savings compared to some other pool pumps.
The Intelliflo also has built-in diagnostics to help you keep your pump working optimally. This pump is also able to run up to 4 times quieter than other pool pumps on the market. Its dimensions are 28 x 12 x 15 inches, and it weighs 47 pounds.
- The pump is very energy efficient and very quiet.
- It has built-in diagnostics to help keep the pump in working order.
- The one-year limited warranty only applies if you have an authorized and certified installer install the pump for you.
- Replacement parts are very expensive.
- It has been known (in rare cases) to break down after a few years.
Pentair 011017 IntelliFlo VS+SVRS High-Performance Pool Pump
The IntelliFlo SVRS is a super quiet pump with the noise it generates just ten decibels or equivalent to a human whisper. It has built-in diagnostics to allow you to gauge the pumps performances while also protecting the pump from common issues that could cause failure.
The IntelliFlo SVRS also has a safety vacuum release system to let the pump shut off automatically if it becomes blocked. It is very energy efficient and allows the user to program up to 4 different pump speeds with just the push of a button. The IntelliFlo SVRS product dimensions are 14.5 x 12.2 x 28.1 inches, and it weighs 48 pounds
- The pump has a built-in diagnostics to help you gauge performance and protect the pump.
- The IntelliFlo SVRS has an auto shut off features to protect the pump from blockages.
- This pump is very easy to program.
- This pump can be used for both above ground and Intex pools.
- The safety vacuum release system (aka the auto shut off system) has sensitivity problems.
- Sometimes it can be very sensitive and can be turned off by the pool cleaners and other minor factors, resulting in your pool pump not pumping the water. Other times when the SVRS (safety vacuum release system) was too insensitive, and it would not shut off properly when it was legitimately blocked.
Whichever pump you choose, we are confident that the pumps on this list will meet your pool needs. While all of the pool pumps on this list are some of the best ones on the market and could be an excellent choice for you, our personal favorite is the Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo. This top rated pump is a variable speed, energy efficient, easy to program pool pump. The Max-Flo has a lot of customization options, making it ideal for D.I.Y. projects and self-installations. Thanks to the two-way rotatable digital display you can quickly read and program the pump regardless of the direction you have it facing relative to you. It also has a large transparent lid debris basket, allowing you to spend less time checking and cleaning the pump and more time swimming.