Keeping your swimming pool safe and clean to use is quite critical. One of the things that you should do includes removing algae and bacteria from your pool.
The chlorine in your pool will become ineffective as time goes, and it won’t do its function well. Due to this, shocking your swimming pool every now and then is recommended.
But what is the best pool shock on the market? You have come to the right place since we will review the best pool shock on the market today.
At a Glance: Our Top Picks for Best Pool Shock:
- Clorox Pool & Spa Shock XtraBlue 12 Pack (Top Pick)
- Clorox Pool & Spa Shock XtraBlue 6 Pack (Top Rated)
- DryTec Chlorinating Shock Treatment (Editor Choice)
- Pool Essentials Shock Treatment 6 Pack
- In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock – 24 x 1lb. Bags
- In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock – 12 x 1lb. Bags
- Arch Chemical HTH Pool Shock Super Shock Treatment 6 Count 6lbs
- Zapp It 73% Cal Hypo Pool Shock
- CLOROX Pool & Spa 81006CLX Saltwater Chlorine-Free Shock
- Aqua-Chem 5-Pack Shock XtraBlue for Swimming Pool
- Clorox Pool & Spa 23006CLXCA XtraBlue Chlorinating Granules
- In The Swim Cal-Chlor Pool Chlorine Granules
- 1 Pool Shock Reviews: Editors’ Top Pick for 2019
- 1.1 Clorox Pool & Spa Shock XtraBlue 12 Pack
- 1.2 Clorox Pool & Spa Shock XtraBlue 6 Pack
- 1.3 DryTec Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorinating Shock Treatment Pack of 24
- 1.4 Pool Essentials Shock Treatment 6 Pack
- 1.5 In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock – 24 x 1lb. Bags
- 1.6 In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock – 12 x 1lb. Bags
- 1.7 Arch Chemical HTH Pool Shock Super Shock Treatment 6 Count 6lbs
- 1.8 Zapp It 73% Cal Hypo Pool Shock
- 1.9 CLOROX Pool & Spa 81006CLX Saltwater Chlorine-Free Shock
- 1.10 Aqua-Chem 5-Pack Shock XtraBlue for Swimming Pool
- 1.11 Clorox Pool & Spa 23006CLXCA XtraBlue Chlorinating Granules 6-pound
- 1.12 In The Swim Cal-Chlor Pool Chlorine Granules
- 2 Pool Shock FAQs
- 3 Conclusion
Pool Shock Reviews: Editors’ Top Pick for 2019
Here are 12 pool shocks that will keep your pool in top condition and avoid bacteria and algae development.
Clorox Pool & Spa Shock XtraBlue 12 Pack
This XtraBlue 12 Pack is perfect for algae including mustard, black, and green algae in your swimming pool. It comes inside a bottle that is easy to open, making it easier to pour the content.
Besides, the product is able to work well in a pool with cloudy water, chlorine odor, contaminants, and eye irritation.
- Dissolves quite fast.
- Very easy to open.
- Comes with clear instructions.
- Might not bring the level of chlorine up.
Clorox Pool & Spa Shock XtraBlue 6 Pack
The only difference between the extra blue 12 Pack and extra blue 6 Pack is the packaging. Hence, the two products are the same and have the same features.
The shock is made of crystals killing blue that will kill not only algae but also bacteria in your pool. Besides, it is able to improve your swimming pool filter performance and also help to restore the pH level.
- Perfect for vinyl liners.
- No need for premixing.
- Multi-use: also remove odors and contaminants.
- Has copper algaecide.
DryTec Calcium Hypochlorite Chlorinating Shock Treatment Pack of 24
This product contains calcium hypochlorite that provides 65% more chlorine than other shocks. What’s more, it comes in single bags of 1-pound which are convenient when using it.
In addition to killing algae and bacteria, the shock is able to provide balance to your pool. It is a great product.
- High chlorine level.
- Effectively kills algae and bacteria.
- Bring balance to your pool.
- You need to wait for hours before you swim.
Pool Essentials Shock Treatment 6 Pack
The Pool Essentials Shock Treatment 6 Pack is ideal for all swimming pools. You can pour it directly into your swimming pool or feed it via the skimmer.
It contains an active ingredient called trichloro-s-triazinetrione which gives 48.6% more chlorine. This product easily dissolves in water to offer the required benefits within minutes.
- For above ground pools and in-ground pools.
- Can fee via the skimmer.
- Dissolves very easily.
- Can bleach vinyl pool lining.
In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock – 24 x 1lb. Bags
The In The Swim products rarely disappoint swimming pool owners. One of its best products is the 24 x 1lb Bags shock that is made of a powerful oxidizing agent.
It is ideal for use in chlorine-free and bromine sanitized pools to maintain it every week. The product features 38% more potassium monopersulfate than most shocks today.
One pound of this product can sanitize a 12,000 gallons pool.
- Quick and precise results.
- Kill contaminants, bacteria, and algae.
- You can swim immediately.
- Not for green water.
In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock – 12 x 1lb. Bags
One of the best shocks on the market today, thanks to its amazing features. Some of these features include increasing the chlorine level that will help kill bacteria and algae. It is able to act very fast to keep your pool safe.
It features 68% calcium hypochlorite that helps to oxidize your pool faster. One pound of the shock is perfect for use in a 10,000 gallons pool.
- Keep your pool clear.
- Offers great results.
- Reasonable price.
- Doesn’t dissolve well.
Arch Chemical HTH Pool Shock Super Shock Treatment 6 Count 6lbs
This is a powerful super shock that contains 52% chlorine to provide clear results within 24 hours. One great thing about this product is that it provides you with hassle-free operation.
It is uniquely made to kill algae and bacteria and is recommended for all pool surfaces. The product comes in a one pound size bags that are easy to open.
- Easy to open the package.
- It kills bacteria and algae.
- Contains high chlorine.
- Might not be effective.
Zapp It 73% Cal Hypo Pool Shock
This is amongst the potent shocks you will find on the market today. It is highly economical and offers 70% chlorine to keep bacteria and algae out of your swimming pool.
The shock comes in a huge 50 pounds bucket that will last the whole summer to keep your pool balanced. If you want a strong product, this is the shock for you.
- Quite economical.
- Lasts the whole summer.
- Balances the pool well.
- Challenging to open.
CLOROX Pool & Spa 81006CLX Saltwater Chlorine-Free Shock
For salt water pools, the CLOROX Pool & Spa 81006CLX is a great shock that will leave your pool sparkling clean. The product boasts of chlorine-free formula that is able to clear cloudy water from your pool.
It is also able to remove organic contaminants from your pool to leave it ready for swimming. Besides, it is quite affordable and very easy to use.
- For a clean, sparkling pool.
- For saltwater facilities.
- Very easy to use.
- Not quite strong.
Aqua-Chem 5-Pack Shock XtraBlue for Swimming Pool
The Aqua Chem 5-Pack Shock comes in a 5-pack that is sufficient to last for a few applications. It is one of the most affordable shocks out there and offers great value for the money.
The shock was designed to kill bacteria and algae in your pool and will also keep your facility clean. One great thing about the product is that it is recommended for all pools.
- Results in a clean pool.
- Recommended for all pools.
- Will kill bacteria and algae.
- Not a popular brand.
Clorox Pool & Spa 23006CLXCA XtraBlue Chlorinating Granules 6-pound
The 23006CLXCA is a shock, algaecide, and sanitizing chemicals. It’s powerful in clearing the water and removing contaminants from your swimming pool.
One great feature of the shock is the granules that work effectively to sanitize and shock your pool. The product also kills bacteria and algae inside your swimming pool.
- All-purpose product.
- Reduced chlorine odor.
- Economical to use.
- Raises cyanuric acid levels.
In The Swim Cal-Chlor Pool Chlorine Granules
This product features 35% calcium and 68% chlorine to offer a product that you can shock your pool with. Due to its non-stabilized formula, the shock is recommended for everyday use.
You need to dilute or pre-dissolve the granules to prevent them from bleaching your pool liner.
- Effective shocking formula.
- Quite affordable.
- Lasts for long
- Need to be pre-dissolved.
Pool Shock FAQs
Q: How to shock pool with liquid chlorine?
A: It is very easy to shock a pool using liquid chlorine since you don’t need to premix it with water like granular chlorine. Simply pour it in the deep end of your pool and then leave the circulation system on for a few hours.
Q: How much pool shock do I need?
A: A chlorine level of about 10-30 ppm sustained for a few hours is required to kill bacteria, algae, and other contaminants. If your pool is in good condition, just add ½-bag of shock per 10,000 gallons of water to raise the chlorine level.
Q: How to shock pool with bleach?
A: You should add bleach to your pool early evening or late afternoon. Pour it at the edges of your pool as you move around its perimeter. Circulate the water for a few hours before you swim. Your pool will be ready for use now.
Q: Can you use pool shock in a pond?
A: Pool shock will kill algae and other contaminants in your pond. However, the excess shock might also kill turtles, fishes, and other plants living in your pond. Use the right amount.
Q: Is pool shock the same as chlorine?
A: There is little difference between chlorine and shock. They all do the same work and contain the same active chemicals. They can be in stabilized or unstabilized form.
Q: Is pool shock the same as bleach?
A: You can use bleach as a shock but they are not the same products. Shock contains more sodium hypochlorite than bleach. That is the major difference between shock and bleach.
Q: Will pool shock kill mosquito larvae?
A: Pool shock won’t kill mosquito or mosquito larvae but it will prevent larvae growth. This will allow the filtration system to clean them out and be taken out of your swimming pool.
The best pool shock will kill bacteria and remove algae from your swimming pool. Take your time when choosing the perfect brand for your need.