Are you looking for a saltwater chlorinator? Are you wondering which saltwater chlorinator to choose? What is the best salt water chlorinator on the market?
There is a huge debate going on and hundreds of views when it comes to saltwater chlorinators. To make things easier for you, we have reviewed and looked at the pros and cons of saltwater chlorinators.
Let’s dive in into the review.
Table of Contents
- 1 Saltwater Chlorinators Reviews: Top 11 Models for 2019
- 1.1 Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell
- 1.2 Hayward T-CELL-3 TurbiCell Bundle (Salt Cell + Cleaning Stand)
- 1.3 Hayward Goldline AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Above-Ground Swimming Pool Salt Chlorination System
- 1.4 Hayward AQR3 AquaRite Salt Chlorination Bundle (Salt Chlorinator + Salt Meter)
- 1.5 Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System with E.C.O (Electrocatalytic Oxidation)
- 1.6 Intex Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Sand Filter Pump and Saltwater System with E.C.O
- 1.7 Circupool SJ-40 Salt Water Chlorine Generator
- 1.8 Circupool SJ-20 Complete Saltwater Chlorination System
- 1.9 Solaxx CLG10A Saltron Retro Self-Cleaning Salt Chlorine Generator
- 1.10 Saltron Mini Salt System Drop-In Saltwater Chlorine Generator
- 1.11 Pentair 520556 IntelliChlor Power Center for Salt Chlorine Generator Systems
- 2 Salt Water Chlorinator FAQs
- 3 How Salt Water Chlorinator Works ( updated)
- 4 Maintenance Tips for Salt Water Chlorinator ( updated )
- 5 Conclusion
Saltwater Chlorinators Reviews: Top 11 Models for 2019
Here is a review of the top 11 saltwater chlorinators on the market today.
Pentair 520555 IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell
Electrolytic chlorine production is the most convenient, effective, and easiest way to keep your swimming pool clean. The Pentair 520555 InteliiChlor IC40 uses table salt to provide all the chlorine that your pool requires, automatically, effectively, and safely.
The model comes with an easy-to-view display that allows you to check the salt levels, water flow, sanitizer output, and cell cleanliness. It also comes with various settings that provide you will all performance data – chlorine output, hours of operation, cell cleaning cycles, and production settings.
The cell has a tracking feature that shows the remaining hours of cell life. Besides, the IntelliChlor IC40 has an automatic shut-off that protects the unit andextends the cell life when the water temperature is low.
There is also on-time cycling that prevents scale build-up and calcium to maximize cell life.
- Very easy to adjust.
- No odor or irritated skin.
- Sanitizes the pool.
- Requires an adaptor.
Hayward T-CELL-3 TurbiCell Bundle (Salt Cell + Cleaning Stand)
Hayward is a famous brand when it comes to the provision of swimming pool products. One such product is the Hayward T-CELL-3 TurbiCell, a great salt chlorinator that can serve a 15,000 gallons swimming pool.
Acquiring this model will keep your pool sanitized and leave you with money that you would have spent buying chlorine. This saltwater chlorinator is believed to have acquired over 1 million installations worldwide, making it a best-seller on the market today.
It works quite effectively when removing the harsh smell of chlorine from your swimming pool. Besides, the model also gets rids of harsh taste to give you a fresh swimming pool that you can swim in.
The machine has the ability to convert table salt into chlorine automatically, to reduce maintenance time.
- Dissolves salt automatically.
- Best-seller out there.
- Keeps the pool fresh and clean.
- Very expensive.
Hayward Goldline AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Above-Ground Swimming Pool Salt Chlorination System
This saltwater chlorinating system is specially designed for above ground pools of about 18,000 gallons. It has all the amazing features of the Aqua Rite model but has a lower chlorine generation.
The model also comes with a built-in clock that controls your pool filtration pump. It also has a timer that you can attach to the filter pump since most pools already have electrical outlets for the pump.
What’s interesting about this saltwater chlorinator is the ability to save on electricity and chlorine. It is also very easy to install the system – within 30 minutes and you will be done.
With this model, you don’t need to measure, mix, or mess around with a tablet or liquid chlorine again. And it is recommended for spa too to provide luxuriously soft, clean, and clear water.
- Very easy to install.
- No measuring or mixing chlorine.
- 7 diagnostic indicators.
- Often causes corrosion.
Hayward AQR3 AquaRite Salt Chlorination Bundle (Salt Chlorinator + Salt Meter)
Another top model from the Hayward brand is the AQR3 AquaRite Salt Chlorination Bundle. This model offers more performance than most chlorinators on the market today.
A best seller, this system was made to provide consistent results over a long time. You don’t need to worry about sanitizing your swimming pool when you have the chlorinator inside your facility.
Its top-notch functionality allows it to offer water that won’t irritate sensitive skin or eye. Every swimmer will feel comfortable when taking a swim inside your pool during the hot summer.
Moreover, the chlorinator is able to remove harsh chlorine smell and taste. It also coverts the dissolved salt into useful chlorine automatically, reducing your maintenance time.
- Provides consistent sanitization.
- Impressive reputation.
- Removes harsh chlorine smells.
- You need to buy a power center.
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System with E.C.O (Electrocatalytic Oxidation)
The Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System is one of the most innovative and best chlorinating systems on the market today. It offers value for the money when you consider its price and other products in its class.
What is so special about this saltwater chlorinator? It comes with an exclusive technology that allows you to sanitize your swimming pool. And it is quite effective when doing this.
The system works by producing salt and safe chlorine which mixes with your pool’s water. Besides, the model is able to filter the water to remove algae and bacteria, leaving your pool contaminants-free.
Many users are quite happy with this product and the reasons for this are many. It is also very easy to install, easy to operate, and cost effective.
- Cost effective when operating.
- Innovative technology.
- Easy to operate.
- For above ground pools only of 15,000 gallons.
Intex Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Sand Filter Pump and Saltwater System with E.C.O
The other leading saltwater chlorinator from Intex is the Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Sand Filter Pump and Saltwater System. Just like the Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, this model has E.C.O.
It is a versatile pump that you can use on pools that range from 2,600 to 8,500 gallons capacity. For easy installation, the model uses a 110-120v power supply which is standard in most states.
The system is ideal for keeping people safe when swimming and it comes with a 2 years warranty. Therefore, you can expect it to last for years without showing any sign of wear or tear.
As we said, the installation process is easy and this is made possible by the easy to follow DVD that accompanies it. It also comes with everything that you will need to install and start using it.
- Comes with a warranty.
- Comes with everything you will need to install.
- Keeps your pool clean.
- Only works if it has pool sand.
Circupool SJ-40 Salt Water Chlorine Generator
Made in the USA, the Circupool SJ-40 is made of durable material that allows it to last for years. It comes with a 5 years warranty that shows how durable the salt chlorinator is.
The model is extremely easy to install. You don’t need to seek the services of a professional to assemble and install it. And it works with most brand filter and pumps to leave your swimming pool sparkling clean.
It is able to monitor the salinity level and the performance to ensure that the table salt provides the required chlorine. The model is also very user-friendly and will kill bacteria, algae, and other contaminants in your pool.
You should also note that the model works on both 110 and 220v power outlets. What’s more, it is able to clean itself, thanks to the self-cleaning feature that reverses polarity.
- Able to clean itself.
- User-friendly model.
- Works with most filter and pumps.
- The problem of calcium buildup.
Circupool SJ-20 Complete Saltwater Chlorination System
The Circupool SJ-20 Complete Saltwater Chlorination System is made for pools that offer 20,000 gallons of water. Since it is made in the USA, you can be sure that it’s a durable product that will offer the required service.
The installation of the saltwater chlorinator is very easy and you can easily do it by yourself. Its cell is made of a high-quality titanium material which is clear to allow you to see through.
Another notable feature of the system is the self-cleaning feature that ensures that you don’t need to worry about maintaining the machine. The chlorinator produces chlorine that is friendly to human use, allowing you to swim when the machine is running.
- Made in the USA.
- Comes with a 5 years warranty.
- Monitors the salt level.
- Poor customer support.
Solaxx CLG10A Saltron Retro Self-Cleaning Salt Chlorine Generator
This is a salt chlorinator for above ground and in-ground swimming pools of up to 20,000 gallons. The model doesn’t require electrical or plumbing contracting when installing it.
When cleaning your pool, pure chlorine is released from the normal table salt to sanitize your swimming pool. It uses less salt to kill algae and bacteria and leave the water feeling silky.
The model also has a programmable digital timer that allows you to set when the chlorine will be produced.
- Low concentration of salt.
- No plumbing needed.
- Maintains constant sanitized level.
- Not for pools with top air rings.
Saltron Mini Salt System Drop-In Saltwater Chlorine Generator
The Saltron Mini Salt System Drop-In Saltwater Chlorine Generator is a great model when it comes to general performance. One thing that you might like about the model is the ease of setting up and installation.
You only need to plug and activate the model, then add salt. It connects to the standard power outlet and generates user-friendly chlorine.
This is also one of the most versatile products on the market today. You can use it for in-ground pools, above ground pools, spas, and hot tubs. It also features reverse polarity that cleans the system.
- A versatile product.
- No plumping needed.
- Eliminates the need for chlorinating.
- A bit expensive.
Pentair 520556 IntelliChlor Power Center for Salt Chlorine Generator Systems
This Pentair 520556 was designed for use with the intellichlor salt chlorinators. It is able to connect with your pool circulation pump and filter easily. You don’t need to hire a professional to install it for you or buy additional fittings.
The model is able to turn AC electric current into low DC current that turns table salt into chlorine. It is a great model for use in spa and pool and will fit IC60, IC40, and IC20 Pentair IntelliChlor.
Besides, it fits SunTouch, EasyTouch Non-Salt pool, and spa auto control systems. You can also monitor the chlorine production with ease.
- Able to monitor chlorine production.
- Easy to install.
- Very effective.
- Mainly for replacement purpose.
Salt Water Chlorinator FAQs
Q1: How to fix a salt water chlorinator?
A: There are three issues that can arise with chlorinators:
- Salt levels – Always test the salt level and adjust the chlorinator accordingly.
- Calcium levels – You can remove calcium buildup by cleaning the system as shown in Q2.
- Chlorine levels – Minimize or add the salt accordingly.
Q2: How to clean salt water chlorinator cell?
A: Follow these steps:
- Turn off the pump and unplug the chlorinator.
- Loosen the right collar of the chlorinator and then the left collar using pliers.
- Remove the chlorinator.
- Clean calcium buildup from all sides.
- Sock the system for several minutes in a mixture of water and muriatic acid (1-gallon water plus ¼ gallon acid).
- Remove it and rinse.
- Return the chlorinator to the pool.
Q3: How to install salt water chlorinator?
Installing a salt water chlorinator means installing the cell so that it fits into the return line. Check the size before you buy your chlorinator.
Also, connect it to the electricity supply line through the power outlet. Read the instruction to know whether you will use 110-120-240v.
Q4: How to test salt water chlorinator?
A: Follow the steps in Q2 but don’t return the salt water chlorinator. Then follow these steps:
- Submerge the cell in a bucket of water (take care of the wire).
- Turn on the pump
- Press the sensor using your finger.
- You should witness vigorous bubbling between the plates.
- If there are no bubbles, then the cell might have a bad cell or no power.
- Vigorous bubbles mean that the system is working properly, minimal bubbles mean the cell is dead.
How Salt Water Chlorinator Works ( updated)
If you want to buy a salt water chlorinator, it will help to understand how this product works. However, you cannot understand how these units work if you don’t know their basic components and the process of changing salt to chlorine.
Here is a video of how salt water chlorinator works.
The Basic Components
- Power Supply – This is the transformer that offers DC current to the salt cells. It steps down the power to 27 VDC from 240 VAC.
- Control Box – It informs the cells when to activate and for how long. Also, it controls the flow sensor as well as the performance of the cell.
- Salt Cells – These are series of covered titanium that is packed together with spaces between them for the water to run via them. As the salt runs through the cells, the water carries the DC current from one plate to the other – this converts the salt to chlorine.
- Flow Sensor – They monitor the flow of water to ensure that there is constant water running via the salt cells when they are on. The sensor will cut power if there is no water.
The process of Converting Salt to Chlorine
The process of changing salt to chlorine can be explained using a simple equation. If you understand this equation, you will have an easy time maintaining the right chlorine level in your swimming pool.
H20 + NaCl —————-àHOCl + NaOH
In simple terms:
Water + Sodium Chloride (table Salt) —————–à Hypochlorous Acid (Chlorine) + Sodium Hydroxide
Read More: Chlorine Tablets for Swimming Pool
- Hypochlorous acid is the active form of chlorine in your swimming pool. Pure chlorine is usually a gas which turns to hypochlorous acid when you dissolve it in water.
- Sodium hydroxide is a byproduct of salt water chlorine generation. Sodium in the salt combines with oxygen and hydrogen to form this product.
- Remember that sodium hydroxide has a high pH, so you will find your pool pH rising when you use a salt water chlorinator (manage your pool properly to avoid this).
Maintenance Tips for Salt Water Chlorinator ( updated )
In order to make your unit last, you need to perform a regular check on it just as you would do with all other parts of your swimming pool.
- Always maintain a consistent level of salt of between 2700-3900 parts per million.
- Clean the unit’s cells at least once per year or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- During storms, switch of the chlorinator to eliminate the risk of power surge that can damage the unit.
- Keep the calcium level as low as possible while still maintaining the right level of your swimming pool.
- Avoid standard chlorinators as they increase the probability of calcium buildup in their cells.
There are a lot of options that you can choose from when it comes to saltwater chlorinators. All you need to do is to choose a model that will match your swimming pool pump and filter. We hope that you can now get the best salt water chlorinator for your need.