UPDATED: Mar 03, 2020.
As implied by the name, a shower enclosure basically encloses your shower area to ensure that the rest of your room stay protected from splashes. Also called a shower cubicle, a shower enclosure is a great investment, as it is functional and adds to the overall beauty of your room.
Glass shower enclosures look especially beautiful. They are easy to clean and durable too. There is no need to worry about a buildup of mildew or mold. However, you can find enclosures in different styles, so it is important to explore those options to answer, “What are the best shower enclosures to buy?”
At a Glance: The 8 Models We’ve Chosen as Contenders for the Best Shower Enclosures:
- VIGO 36 x 48 Inch Frameless (Top Pick)
- DreamLine Prime Shower Enclosure (Top Rated)
- DreamLine Plus Frameless Shower Enclosure (Editor Choice)
- VIGO Piedmont Frameless Shower Enclosure
- DreamLine DL-6702-01CL Prime Shower Enclosure
- Aston Avalux Frameless Shower Enclosure
- VIGO VG6061BNCL38WS Shower Enclosure
- VIGO Gemini Frameless Shower Enclosure
- 1 Top 8 Best Shower Enclosures to Buy
- 1.1 1. VIGO 36 x 48 Inch Frameless
- 1.2 2. DreamLine DL-6703-01FR Prime Shower Enclosure
- 1.3 3. DreamLine Unidoor Plus Frameless Shower Enclosure
- 1.4 4. VIGO Piedmont Frameless Shower Enclosure
- 1.5 5. DreamLine DL-6702-01CL Prime Shower Enclosure
- 1.6 6. Aston Avalux GS Completely Frameless Shower Enclosure
- 1.7 7. VIGO VG6061BNCL38WS Shower Enclosure
- 1.8 8. VIGO Gemini Frameless Shower Enclosure
- 2 Important Considerations for Selecting the Best Shower Enclosure
- 3 Conclusion
Top 8 Best Shower Enclosures to Buy
Shower enclosures usually come with a couple of glass panels, but there can be different variations in style that may be suitable for your specific needs. Here are some of the finest options for you to consider.
1. VIGO 36 x 48 Inch Frameless
- Nice sturdy shower base, no chance of slipping
- Gives a beautiful look to the bathroom
- Doesn’t rust or chip even after long duration of heavy usage
- Available in just one color
This bath enclosure is quite sturdy and lasts longer than you would expect or think of. You don’t have to worry about rust formation even after heavy usage. The shower base is made of acrylic and is slip-resistant, which is an added benefit.
It is a trouble-free piece of equipment that gives a classy and stylish look to the bathroom. The handle is reversible so you can choose to install left or right based on your bathroom configuration.
The entire hardware is quite durable and you don’t have to witness any leakage issue, mainly because of the magnetic strips that seal any water flow.
Another good thing is that it comes with a lifetime warranty (limited) on the doors and enclosures. Just works perfectly once installed. The color options are limited; however, the nickel suits any bathroom ambiance.
2. DreamLine DL-6703-01FR Prime Shower Enclosure
- The frosted enclosure gives a nice, cozy look
- Available in interesting and different colors
- The sliding is extremely smooth and works like a charm every time
- A little tough to set up and install
You have to purchase the walls separately (those are costly too)
The shower enclosure does its job well. The doors are beautifully designed and look nice on any bathroom. You can choose from the many color options – it is available in different sizes too.
You can choose from clear or frosted glass but do try the frosted one, as it is more attractive and personal. The installation instructions are clear, but if you are doing it for the first time, better to call someone who can help, as even with instructions, you may struggle.
This piece is well made and easy to clean too. The sliding door is very smooth. Because of the magnetic strip, there is not even a drop of water that escapes out of the enclosure.
3. DreamLine Unidoor Plus Frameless Shower Enclosure
- Comes in beautiful colors, including the nickel
- Very nice finish and the overall quality of glass and hardware is very good
- Works perfectly once installed properly
- Shower base is not included
Once the unit is set up, it looks just like a costly spa or enclosures in posh hotels. It is just beautiful. It seals the water without any leakage, which is nice.
Though the unit is easy to set up and use and instructions are clear and easy to follow, it is a good idea to have a professional person help you with the process. If something goes wrong, you may have a hard time fixing it back.
The looks are luxurious and trendy. The only thing is you will need to purchase the shower base and wall studs. Overall a good, worthy purchase if you take care of the installation well!
4. VIGO Piedmont Frameless Shower Enclosure
- No rusting or chipping and remains as good as new after long usage too
- Good stability and durability
- You can change the door swing (left and right)
- The price may be a bit on the higher side
The product comes with nice thick glass and is of high quality. The enclosure looks elegant and feels great to be inside. Nothing can go wrong with this shower once installed.
The water sealing is perfect and there is no leakage. Even if there is, caulking helps and you should be good. The material quality is very good and lasts quite long even with heavy usage. You can customize the door installation and the handles which are reversible.
The angular design is space efficient and gives a nice look to the bathroom space. The only thing is that the installation needs 2 people who are knowledgeable and experienced even though the instructions are quite clear and the manual is well-documented.
5. DreamLine DL-6702-01CL Prime Shower Enclosure
- The magnetic strips work well and provide a watertight enclosure
- Scratch resistant, slip and stain resistant
- Well-made and good quality parts
- Needs professional installation
This enclosure has everything you should be looking for in a shower enclosure. The design is impressive, which looks great and makes it quite space efficient as well.
A great thing is that it has watertight magnetic strips that are literally leak proof. The rolling door feature is nice and works well. It is actually very good quality one compared to other enclosures having rolling doors.
It serves as a perfect option for small bathrooms as it occupies less space. It comes with a shower base and drain too, so you don’t have to purchase anything else.
Once you have the piece, you will need to call a professional guy to get it all set up. This is in a way all right, because if you install it yourself, it takes more time and effort and something may go wrong.
6. Aston Avalux GS Completely Frameless Shower Enclosure
- Square design along with frameless enclosure for a luxurious look
- Thick glass for improved durability
- Available in many sizes to help you select what suits you
- Doesn’t work with a shower pan
You will love the way this shower enclosure saves so much space in the bathroom and keeps the whole bathroom neat. Besides, the look and feel of the whole bathroom will change with this elegant yet simple unit because of the frameless design.
It is easy to put the whole unit together, though it takes time. The instructions are straightforward and clear. As it comes with thick glass panels, you’re not going to experience an issue in terms of durability.
The only thing is it doesn’t work with a base. You will have to install it on the flooring. This won’t be an issue if you check the size of your shower before you purchase the piece. Overall, it works beautifully, without needing much maintenance.
7. VIGO VG6061BNCL38WS Shower Enclosure
- Super stylish and elegant design for an amazing look
- The base is slip-resistant and made of good quality
- Installation is super easy – can be done effortlessly just by seeing the manual
- Takes more space in the shower than the rectangular one
This shower is one you will fall in love with at the first sight. The design is just awesome and done in a nice modern style to match almost all of the modern interiors.
The tempered glass is almost impossible to break and quite thick. There are magnetic strips, so there is literally no chance of any leakage. The drain system works beautifully and the whole unit is easy to set up and maintain.
Actually, it is an almost zero maintenance unit including cleaning of the glass and base. Even after long usage, there is no water leak or any kind of issues with the material. It is sturdy and durable, but remember that it takes more space than a rectangular shower enclosure.
8. VIGO Gemini Frameless Shower Enclosure
- Nice design, giving a classy look to the shower
- Detailed finish to make it look expensive
- It is scratch and rust-free, making it easy to maintain and clean
- Doors are flimsy and the swing mechanism is not very smooth
The first noticeable thing is that the unit is quite durable and stays functional after heavy usage. It needs very little maintenance, which is another added benefit.
The design is to die for and the color is just amazing. It is stunning and the shape makes it a spacious enclosure overall. There is no water leakage because of the magnetic strips. It is great for families with kids, as the water never escapes the unit.
The only downside is that the doors are a bit heavy, so kids may find it difficult to use it. Similarly, the handles seem weak and are delicate. However, the finishing of the glass and base are just perfect. Overall, it offers a good value for money.
Important Considerations for Selecting the Best Shower Enclosure
While there are a number of things to keep in mind before buying a shower enclosure, you should always start considering the following factors.
Pick the Right Size
Before going any further, be sure to know the space you have in your bathroom. Here, you need to consider whether you want to buy a regular shower enclosure, a shower bath, or a wet room. Similarly, you need to consider if you’re trying to create a separate shower room or looking for a shower enclosure for an ensuite.
Most people like to “go big” when they are out looking for a shower enclosure, but you should take the right measurements and then stick to them, even if that means buying a relatively smaller enclosure. Buying a unit that is too wide, too tall, or too deep is only going to overcrowd your bathroom.
Consider the Style
The style matters a lot when you are looking for a shower enclosure for your bathroom. Some of the most common styles include the following:
- Frameless enclosure: The enclosure does not have a visible frame, which makes it look modern and expensive. They are available in different shapes and sizes.
- 3-sided enclosure: These shower enclosures use a flat wall as the fourth side and is a great choice if you want your shower to stay away from the corner of your bathroom.
- Corner entry enclosure: It offers a great mix of style and practicality. You may want to stick to this style if you want a rectangular or square shower enclosure in your bathroom.
- Walk-in enclosure: Also called a wet room, it features a door-less entry, allowing you to enter and exit with utmost ease. It also looks stylish but is a more suitable choice for spacious bathrooms.
Buying a Tray
Another important consideration is to buy a tray. You may want to check its availability if you’re interested in an all-in-one solution, as it is tailor-made for your selected enclosure, which lowers risk of leakage.
However, you may be better off buying a tray separately if you’re interested in a recessed shower. In this case, you also need to consider the size of the shower door carefully.
Pick the Right Thickness
Measured in millimeters, it is important to have an idea about how thick the shower enclosure glass should be. Standard thickness is around 4mm and goes up to 10mm. While a thicker glass is going to be durable, it will cost you more too.
In addition, you may want to pay some attention to specific accessories available for shower enclosures. The cost will certainly go up, but things like shower wastes, handles, etc., are surely going to increase practicality.
The fact of the matter is that a shower enclosure adds charm and practicality to your bathroom, but be sure to determine the size, material, and style of an enclosure that you want. The units reviewed here offer a great combination of functionality and price, so have a closer look before you finalize a buying decision.