UPDATED: Jan 05, 2020.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Best Vacuums Buying Guide
- 3 Why Is A Vacuum Important?
- 4 Best Vacuums for Small Apartments Buying Guide 2020
- 4.1 Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional
- 4.2 Shark Rotator Professional Upright Bagless Vacuum for Carpets
- 4.3 Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac
- 4.4 Black + Decker Dustbuster
- 4.5 Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet
- 4.6 Bissell Pet Hair Eraser
- 4.7 Oreck Commercial XL Upright Vacuum
- 4.8 Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac with Wi-Fi Capability iPhone Connectivity
- 4.9 Shark APEX Upright Vacuum
- 4.10 Black + Decker Ultra Light Weight Upright Vacuum
- 4.11 Cordless ONSON Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- 4.12 Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Linx
- 4.13 Eureka NEU182A PowerSpeed Lightweight Bagless Upright Cleaner
- 4.14 Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Corded Bagless Vacuum
- 4.15 Shark Rocket DuoClean HV382
- 5 Conclusion
If you have a small apartment and lead a very busy life, you know the value of saving time anywhere that you can. One of the ways that you can help yourself save time is in the cleaning of your small apartment. Getting a good vacuum is essential for someone trying to keep a clean apartment, especially if you have pets or any reason for your apartment to be dirty on a consistent basis.
However, there are so many vacuums out there that it can be very hard to pick one without getting overwhelmed. Also, you never know how a vacuum will perform or which reviews to trust when it comes to selecting your vacuum. That’s why we’ve compiled some very helpful analysis and information to help guide you through this major decision and help you get the best vacuum for your money. Follow along to learn about the best vacuums for small apartments with carpet or hardwood floors.
At a Glance: The 15 Models We’ve Chosen as Contenders for the Best Vacuums for Small Apartment:
- Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional (Top Pick)
- Shark Rotator Professional Vacuum (Top Rated)
- Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac (Editor Choice)
- Black + Decker Dustbuster
- Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser
- Oreck Commercial XL Upright Vacuum
- Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac with Wi-Fi
- Shark APEX Upright Vacuum
- Black+Decker Ultra LightWeight Vacuum
- Cordless ONSON Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Linx
- Eureka PowerSpeed Upright Cleaner
- Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Bagless Vacuum
- Shark Rocket DuoClean HV382
Best Vacuums Buying Guide
If you are asking yourself: “what is the best vacuum for a small apartment?”, then there are some other more important questions that you need to ask yourself before you get started. There are some crucial considerations that you need to keep in mind when you are shopping for a vacuum for your small apartment and we’re going to walk you through each of these and what to keep in mind when you are looking at the vacuums in our list.
Our list of the best vacuums for small apartments was chosen largely based on these criteria, so be sure to follow along to fully understand our choices and why these are some of the best vacuums for small apartments on the market.
Affordability is the first thing that many people are going to look at when shopping for a vacuum. However, as many people know, it’s not always best to get the cheapest vacuum out there. Many cheap vacuums go bad in a matter of weeks and require you to buy another one to get any real use out of it and to clean your home effectively. We know that your first temptation might be to jump on the cheapest vacuum that you can find, but you should resist that urge and instead find value in your purchase. You don’t always have to get the most expensive vacuum, but getting something that meets your needs when it comes to functionality and versatility is essential.
Type of Vacuum
This is another thing that you’ll have to decide before you make your decision for which vacuum to get for your small apartment. There are a few different types of vacuums out there with different designs and specialties. If you are going to be vacuuming often and have pet hair to clean, you probably are going to want something that resembles a full, robust vacuum that can handle anything. If your apartment is all hard surfaces, you can get a more lightweight and basic vacuum. If you are very busy and want your apartment to be cleaned while you are at work, then you should be exploring robo vacuums, which clean while you are away. Keep this in mind as you browse your selection of the best vacuums for small apartments on the market today.
We understand that this shouldn’t be the main focus of your search for your next vacuum for your small apartment, but it shouldn’t be ignored, either. The simple fact is that some brands produce better vacuums than other brands. Be sure to read up on the reviews for the brands of vacuums that you’re looking at and make sure that you’re getting something that’s going to live up to expectations in quality and customer service if something does go wrong. A great way to do this is to make sure that you are reading the reviews of each vacuum and see what others had to say about their experience with the company’s products.
Why Is A Vacuum Important?
You might think that others are silly for paying so much attention to their vacuum purchase, but a good vacuum can go a long way, especially for those with busy lives and children. Getting a good vacuum can help ensure that you won’t have to struggle to clean your apartment and you can live in comfort when you are home. Having a good vacuum is essential for any home or apartment owner and picking a good one is a process that takes time and significant consideration.
Best Vacuums for Small Apartments Buying Guide 2020
Now that you have some background knowledge on what to look for in a vacuum for your small apartment and why you need a good vacuum for your home, we can start to look at the options that are available out there. We selected these vacuums as they have the best reputation on the market. We’ll take you through each one as well as what they have to offer to help you make a decision on if either of them will work well for you.
This is one of the most popular and high-end vacuums out there right now and it’s made by a reputable brand name, Shark. The lift-away button lifts the canister away so that it’s easy to clean small and hard-to-reach areas with the wand. It’s a great vacuum to use in an apartment that needs anti-allergen technology and an adequate cleaning on all surfaces.
- High cleaning power
- Removable wand
- Reputable brand name
- HEPA filter for anti-allergen trapping
- Bulky, could be hard to store in a small apartment
Shark Rotator Professional Upright Bagless Vacuum for Carpets
This next offering by Shark comes in a bagless design and also features a removable wand to clean hard-to-reach areas. It also has an anti-allergy seal and will work on both your hard floors and carpet floors. It features LED headlights to help guide you through your apartment and is specially designed to help you navigate around furniture and other tight spaces with the innovative steering design.
- Made by Shark
- LED headlights for easy vision
- Anti-allergen seal
- Bagless design for ease of use
- More expensive than other vacuums
- Doesn’t mount on the wall or have compact storage options
Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac
If you are looking to add a little more time to your day, you can opt to get a robovac to do the cleaning while you are away. You can save time and frustration by getting a robotic vacuum, and it can allow you to spend more time of your day doing what you want to do instead of trying to constantly keep up with cleaning your home. This robovac is a great option if that’s what you’re looking for.
- Comes in multiple colors
- Anti-scratch tempered glass top
- Quiet cleaning
- More vacuum strength since device is close to the ground
- More expensive than a traditional vacuum
Black + Decker Dustbuster
If you are really looking for the bare minimum for a small apartment and only ever have very small messes to clean, then you might choose to get a handheld vacuum that you can deploy as needed to quickly dispatch messes around the house. This handheld in particular is made from Black + Decker, one of the most reputable names in the vacuum business.
- Lightweight and portable
- Easily stored
- Very affordable
- Lithium ion battery for long life
- Not suitable for heavy cleaning
Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet
If you have pets in a small apartment, you fully understand how unpleasant all the hair and smells can be, especially if you have allergies. This particular vacuum from Shark is designed to help remove hair and dander that gets built up in your carpet from owning a pet. If you are struggling with keeping pet smell under control, consider this professional vacuum.
- Great for those with pets
- Lift-away design for hard-to-reach areas
- XL capacity in the canister
- High cleaning power
- Represents a significant investment
Bissell Pet Hair Eraser
This handheld option is another great vacuum for those with pets if you are on more of a budget and don’t want to invest a lot in your regular vacuum. If you have a cat or small pet, you’ll probably get a lot of value out of this handheld solution do dealing with pet hair and dander in your small apartment.
- Effective for pet hair
- Cordless and runs on battery
- Compact design for easy storage
- Not suitable for heavy everyday cleaning
Oreck Commercial XL Upright Vacuum
If you believe in the power of old-school and you don’t need a vacuum with fancy technology and frills, then this might be a good option for you. It is a return to the roots of high-power vacuums that can handle tough everyday usage. If you are cleaning a lot in your apartment and need something that can stand up to a large volume of work, this would be a good option for you.
- Can handle large volume of cleaning
- Old-school durable design
- Good for cleaning low pile carpets
- Takes up little space for storage
- Harder to empty
Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac with Wi-Fi Capability iPhone Connectivity
If you liked the RoboVac from earlier, you’ll love this option that includes capabilities for Wi-Fi connectivity and the ability to control your robovac from your iPhone while you are at work, away for the weekend, or just sitting on the couch at home.
- Connects to Wi-Fi using an app
- Set your own boundary stips
- BoostIQ technology
- Cleans quietly
- Less affordable than almost any other option
- Can’t clean in tight corners
Shark APEX Upright Vacuum
Shark makes a lot of high-quality vacuums, but this is perhaps the best of them all. Shark definitely delivers a lot of quality in the form of their Apex model, which is considered the best vacuum that Shark has. It provides the ultimate cleaning experience and would be perfect for use in your small apartment if cleanliness is very important to you.
- Extremely effective cleaning
- Made by reputable company
- Dual brush technology
- Not easy for use in tight spaces
Black + Decker Ultra Light Weight Upright Vacuum
If you are looking for an affordable solution and still like upright vacuums, then this would be a good vacuum for you and your small apartment. It’s lightweight for easy transport, carrying, and use. It’s made by one of the most reputable companies when it comes to household appliances, and there’s no maintenance cost with washable filters.
- Lightweight design makes it easy to move around
- Very affordable for an upright vacuum
- Washable filters
- Ergonomic handle
- Less suction power than higher-priced options
Cordless ONSON Stick Vacuum Cleaner
This stick vacuum cleaner by Onson gives you a great crossover between an upright vacuum and a portable handheld. It works best on hard floors but can also work on light carpets and gives you maximum portability and storage options. If you have a small apartment that doesn’t have much storage, that’s not a problem with this stick vacuum cleaner.
- Highly portable
- Versatile with detachable handheld unit
- More affordable than other uprights
- Simple design and easy storage
- Doesn’t help eliminate pet hair and dander
Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Linx
This slender, basic vacuum cleaner is perfect for the minimalist who likes to keep things compact. While other upright vacuums try to be the most advanced, this one doesn’t make things complicated and instead opts for practicality and simplicity. It’s affordable and made by one of the most reputable companies out there.
- Lightweight and easy to store
- Durable and made with quality materials
- Non-marring wheels to protect flooring
- Simplicity for added durability
- Not as much suction power as a Shark or more expensive model
Eureka NEU182A PowerSpeed Lightweight Bagless Upright Cleaner
If you are looking for something affordable that still has some power, then this Eureka option would be a solid offering for you. It’s powerful and robust, and can clean your small apartment with ease. It’s also powerful enough to help clean up after pets and other messes.
- Powerful for the price
- Very affordable
- Robust, but lightweight
- Not the easiest to store in small spaces
Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Corded Bagless Vacuum
If you like the flexibility and lightweight of the stick vacuums but hate that you are reliant on a battery life that may not last that long, then this would be a good option for you. The small and lightweight design makes it perfect for cleaning small apartments. It will store easily when you are done and has significant cleaning power.
- Removable wand for versatility
- Corded design means no waiting for it to charge
- Lightweight design for simplicity
- No features to help with pets
Shark Rocket DuoClean HV382
This final offering by Shark features a more robust cleaning power that helps to remove stuck-on messes from hard floors and gives you all the benefits of a stick vacuum. If you like stick vacuums but share the concern that they don’t provide enough suction power or the ability to get harsh messes out, then this would be a good option for you.
- Helps with stuck on messes
- Never loses suction
- High capacity dust cup
- Removable cleaning wand
- LED headlight
- Heavier than other stick vacuums
- Not as easy to navigate
After examining all the options, we believe the Hoover Vacuum Cleaner Linx to be the best option for those with a small apartment and proportional budget. This vacuum cleaner will achieve everything that you need it to on a budget and when you’re done, it will fit snugly in a small closet or corner of your apartment. It doesn’t try to do too much, and that’s what we love about it! Though this will be the best option for the majority of small apartment owners, you should be sure to decide for yourself based on the criteria and considerations that we outlined in our buyer’s guide.