Variable speed pool pumps have many advantages over traditional pool pumps both in terms of performance and savings. However, with so much competition out there the question is what is the best variable speed pump for your pool needs?
The best variable speed pool pumps come from reputed manufacturers who offer the highest quality equipment at the most reasonable prices.
Selecting the right variable speed pump for your pool requires quite a bit of research and looking around. Hence, an ultimate review guide with the 13 best variable speed pool pumps is provided to make the search process a lot easier and also help in confident purchase decisions.
At a Glance: Our Top Recommendations for Best Variable Speed Pool Pump:
- Best overall: Pentair 342001 SuperFlo
- Best rated variable speed pool pump: Pentair 011028 IntelliFlo
- Best variable speed above ground pool pump: Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo
- Best variable speed inground pool pump: Pentair 340039 SuperFlo
- Best 1.5 HP variable speed pool pump: Harris H1572748 ProForce
- Best hayward variable speed pool pump: Hayward SP3202VSP
- 1 The 13 Top-Rated Variable Speed Pool Pumps
- 1.1 1. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo
- 1.2 2. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High-Performance Single Speed Pool Pump 115/230 Volt
- 1.3 3. XtremepowerUS 2 Horsepower Pump for In-ground Pool 220V Dual Speed
- 1.4 4. Pentair Almond 011028 IntelliFlo VS Swimming Pool Pump
- 1.5 5. XtremepowerUS 1.5HP Variable 2-Speed Pump for Above-Ground Pools with Pump Strainer
- 1.6 6. Hayward SP3202VSP
- 1.7 7. Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix
- 1.8 8. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo
- 1.9 9. Harris H1572748 ProForce
- 1.10 10. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo
- 1.11 11. Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump
- 1.12 12. Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump
- 1.13 13. Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Variable Speed High Performance Pump
- 2 Things to Consider Before Purchase
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 The Best Variable Speed Pool Pumps
The 13 Top-Rated Variable Speed Pool Pumps
This article reviews the 13 best variable speed pool pumps available for sale. The review process is based on several carefully selected factors including customer reviews, supplier credibility, benefits, warranty, features and value.
This detailed review looks at the pros and cons of each variable speed pool pump and why it ought to be considered for your pool needs.
The reviews not only help inform customers about a product’s many features and benefits but also presents them with fair weaknesses in order to make more informed buying decisions.
1. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo
- Compact and durable design
- Relatively easy to assemble and install
- 5 HP motor ideal for small to medium sized pools
- Control system is easy to program and operate
- Competitively priced
- Ultra-quiet TEFC motor
- Not the best warranty terms
- Requires professional installation in order to safeguard manufacturers warranty
The Pentair SuperFlo VS pump is a slightly less powerful version of the Pentair IntelliFlo and much more affordable making it ideal for residential medium sized pools. The compact design allows it to be installed with ease and it has a super quiet yet powerful motor that is perfect for pulling large volumes of water.
The Pentair SuperFlo is a sturdy, energy efficient and long-lasting variable speed pool pump that is built for reliability, affordability and durability. Works great as a replacement pump and helps save a lot of energy and money. This makes this variable speed pump a real bargain for the price.
2. Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High-Performance Single Speed Pool Pump 115/230 Volt
- Features internal flow design for reducing hydraulic noise
- Comes with robust 56-flange motor
- Has self-priming for swift and easy startup
- The translucent lid makes it to easy inspect the strainer basket
- The motor can stop working anytime
This pump draws water more efficiently at slower speeds than conventional pumping devices. It is an excellent choice for pools that require a pump up to 1.5 horsepower. It’s incredibly energy-efficient, tranquil, and easy to maintain.
This SuperFlo variable pump is made of high-quality and advanced materials that can cope with the most demanding conditions.
This device has thick body components, a high-grade motor, and a sophisticated hydraulic system. The quiet running and compact size of this pump make it easy to insert into a consolidated platform.
3. XtremepowerUS 2 Horsepower Pump for In-ground Pool 220V Dual Speed
- Made from high-quality corrosion-resistant materials
- Run with minimal noise
- Good as new or replacement for the existing system
- Weak pump and misleading descriptions
The XtremepowerUS Pool Pump is a self-priming system made of corrosion-resistant polymeric materials for high durability. This excellent pool pump is constructed to have a heavy-duty motor with airflow vents for less noise and an effortless running experience for inground pool.
This XtremepowerUS pool pump is compatible with solar heating and floor cleaning systems. It is suitable for a new pool construction system or a replacement for the existing pool cleaning system.
Works at a speed that corresponds to the water pressure, which leads to high energy savings and a reduction in the pool pump’s overall wear and tears.
4. Pentair Almond 011028 IntelliFlo VS Swimming Pool Pump
- Feature eight programmable speed settings
- Comes with a built-in timer
- Magnetic design minimizes noise and vibration.
- The quality is inferior
This Pentair IntelliFlo 011028 is a durable, silent, powerful, and highly programmable pool pump with variable speed. The pump sounds up to 45 decibels, quieter than a conventional pool pump, and runs the engine motor based on the pool’s pressure requirements.
The completely-enclosed cooling fan motor (TEFC, as you will often see) on the product description will keep the pump running quietly. When you add this to your Pentair estimates for energy savings of up to 90%, you have a powerful, quiet, and money-saving pump. The included keypad is rotatable to ensure comfortable wall mounting with a relocation kit.
5. XtremepowerUS 1.5HP Variable 2-Speed Pump for Above-Ground Pools with Pump Strainer
- Runs smoothly and quietly than traditional pumps
- Energy-efficient and heavy-duty performance
- Great value for the money
- Comes with built 2-speed settings
- The power cord isn’t included
This XtremepowerUS 1.5HP Variable 2-Speed is constructed with a high-performance and energy-efficient motor with durable airflow vents for silent and quieter running.
The included large strainer basket with translucent cover makes the inspection process easy to determine if the basket is clogged with dust, debris and leaves.
The built-in 2-speed settings enable the user to adjust and control water speed to either low or high settings ranging from 1750 to 3450 rotations per minute. It is professionally certified by UL for safety and uniquely designed for above-ground swimming pools.
6. Hayward SP3202VSP
- Ideal for medium and large sized pools
- Powerful 1.85 HP motor
- Durable construction and design
- Huge energy cost savings in comparison to traditional single-speed pumps
- Digital control panel that offers 8 custom timer options
- In-built safety features
- A tad on the expensive side
- Maybe a bit too much on the technical side
This Hayward variable speed pool pump is one of Hayward’s top of the line models that comes with many features when it comes to safety and convenience. It uses a modern digital interface to regulate water flow in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
The Hayward also comes with many other added features such an in-built diagnostics that protect against priming failures, voltage fluctuations and temperature extremes. This makes the Hayward safe to use and much more reliable making it a great investment for your pool.
7. Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix
- Large strainer basket for debris collection
- Horizontal/vertical discharge feature
- Dual-speed settings allow for better energy utilization
- Silent operation at low-speed setting
- Extremely cost-effective
- Rigid and stable construction
- Fast delivery
- Only suitable for above-ground pools
This Hayward PowerFlo is a dual-speed pool pump that is primarily designed for above ground pools. Its horizontal/vertical discharge feature is a convenient option that helps save on expensive plumbing during install. Its durable construction coupled with excellent functionality makes this a viable investment for any above ground pool.
In terms of energy consumption, the dual-speed motor on this Hayward is much more efficient than single speed motors of the same performance. The slow speed option allows for a more thorough cleaning process that adds to water clarity and minimizes energy wastage.
8. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo
- 65 HP motor
- Heavy-duty construction
- Energy efficient – 8 different timer options
- Well-reputed manufacturer
- Great value for the price
- Relatively easy to install
- A little low on power in comparison to a single speed pump
- Not the easiest to use control panel
The Hayward MaxFlo VS is a well-built pool pump that is designed to be energy efficient and long-lasting. Its simple yet functional design makes it a great replacement pump as its size and design are fairly universal.
The motor is powerful enough for medium sized pools and its various settings allow for the most efficient cleaning and filtration process.
The Hayward MaxFlo VS is also extremely easy to assemble and install which makes it a great buy for new pool owners who want something that is affordable and requires minimum attention once setup.
9. Harris H1572748 ProForce
- Unbeatable price
- Well engineered heavy duty construction
- Easy to install and maintain
- Fast shipping
- Silent operation
- Large filter basket
- The warranty is next to none
- No variable speed options for better energy efficiency
The Harris is by far one of the most affordable pool pumps on this list. It’s simplistic and compact design makes it easy to install and the large filter basket makes it easy to maintain.
The Harris lacks some of the more advanced programming features of more expensive models and is not as energy efficient but that makes it less complicated and much simpler to use.
If you are in the market for something inexpensive, simple and durable than the Harris might very well be the right choice for you.
10. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo
- Extremely energy efficient
- Very quiet compared to other models
- Built-in timer with 8 variable speed options
- Reputable manufacturer
- Extremely powerful 3 HP pump
- Ideal for large sized pools
- Requires a professional for installation otherwise it voids the warranty
- Reprogramming the pump can be challenging
Pentair is a well-renowned manufacturer of quality pool equipment at reasonable prices. The new IntelliFlo variable speed high-performance pool pump keeps Pentair’s reputation alive of being an innovator and leader in the pool equipment category.
The IntelliFlo is extremely energy efficient thanks to its 8 programmable speed settings and built-in timer that result in a fully automated pool pump experience that saves you both time and money. In fact, the IntelliFlo is perhaps the most energy efficient pump on this list and a great choice if low power consumption is your ultimate priority.
It is highly recommended to understand and adhere to the warranty terms and conditions when purchasing this product for the best protection in case anything goes wrong during use.
11. Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump
- Operates super silently
- Has a durable controller
- Energy efficient
- Designed and built extremely well
- Easy installation
- Poor quality control
- Low flow in low speed
The Pentair 340042 Superflo High Performance Energy Efficient Two-Speed Pool Pump runs with superior quietness. It has unionized fittings –1.5 inch internal slip and 2 inch external slip.
For almost 50 years, Superflo pumps have been a product of ingenious hydraulic engineering. This style of engineering plans have resulted in pumps that are able to move water in an efficient manner. In addition, these Superflo pumps run quieter and more energy efficient. This pump made by SuperFlo is a candid restoration of the Haywood Super Pump.
As a result of Superflo pumps innovative construction, its performance is effortless with less overall damage. The consequence is a longer life and better rebound of your expenditure of this pump.
12. Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump
- Fan cooled 1.65 HP TEFC motor
- Minimum energy consumption
- Easy to use fully programmable digital control interface
- Extremely easy to install
- Ultra-quiet motor makes for silent operation
- Universal compatibility
- A tad on the expensive side
This Hayward super pump checks all the boxes when it comes to performance, functionality and value. Equipped with premium features and compatible with competitive control systems the Hayward Super Pump is the ideal replacement variable speed pool pump.
The ultra-quiet motor paired with a fully programmable digital control interface makes pool maintenance and cleaning a breeze all while saving you money thanks to its energy management system.
This is a safe purchase for anyone looking to purchase a high-quality variable speed pool pump. Made to last and well priced this Hayward is a popular choice amongst pool owners.
13. Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Variable Speed High Performance Pump
- Pump life is extended
- Advancement in filter and chlorinator performance
- Aids in lowering algae buildup
- Allows additional pool feature without lowering efficiency
- 90% energy savings
- Not compatible with some systems
- Poorly designed
The IntelliPro Variable Speed Pump is a pioneer in technology. It’s the pool pump that has catapulted the revolution of energy savings. This product was quick to receive multiple positive reviews from professionals in the pool industry, pool owners, and even public utility companies.
Its noiseless activity, reliability for the long term, and efficient energy usage is, however, what is getting its reviewers excited. This pump has cultivated the field-proven growth, also, which allows this pump brand to outsell other speed pool pumps within its class.
Things to Consider Before Purchase
Choosing the right variable speed pool pump can be a big decision as this product is likely to last for a considerable amount of time and can be a substantial investment for any pool owner.
There are specific details, features, benefits and drawbacks of each variable speed pump that need to be fully considered before making a purchase decision.
The size of your pool can often dictate the level of performance one would require from a pump to circulate and filter water comfortably without being overburdened. For most medium sized pools it is recommended to use a motor between 1.5 – 2.0 HP for best performance.
Larger pools require bigger motors producing more horsepower in order to pull such large volumes of water on an ongoing basis.
The entire idea behind purchasing a variable speed pump is the level of energy savings one receives. The best variable speed pumps can save up to 90% energy as compared to traditional single speed pumps.
The cost savings amassed from using variable speed pumps can often equal the extra cost paid for the pump in less than one season of use.
Both the internal and external components should be made of high-quality durable materials for increased longevity and reliability.
The best variable speed pumps come with in-built safety features that protect the motor and electrical components from voltage fluctuations, water and chemical hazards as well as extreme temperatures.
Most variable speed pumps require professional installation in order to get the best performance. However, modern variable speed pumps now have compact designs and are manufactured in a way that makes them very easy to install if you any experience at all when it comes to pumps.
It is always recommended to use a professional when setting up a pump for the first time as this helps safeguard warranty terms and ensures optimum performance.
What type of warranty is being offered by the manufacturer and on what terms?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a variable speed pool pump?
A: A variable speed pump is a pool pump that enables the users to control the speed either low or high. Most of the variable speed pumps are energy-efficient and powered by various motor engines. The permanent magnet motors are typically more efficient and durable than induction motors featured in single and 2-speed pumps.
Q: What size variable speed pool pump do I need?
A: Before you decide on the pump’s size to buy, it is essential to thoroughly evaluate your pool’s needs. To avoid the problem of oversizing, if you have a 25000 gallons pool, you’ll have to buy a pump with a minimum flow rate of 52 gallons per minute.
Q: Who makes the best variable speed pool pump?
A: If you’re looking to buy a durable and efficient variable speed pump, Hayward is recommended as the best manufacturer of variable speed pumps. Hayward pool pumps are energy-efficient, cut your energy cost by 90%, and feature advanced control and improved usability.
Q: How much is a variable speed pool pump?
A: The cost of a durable and highly-efficient variable speed pump ranges from $800 to $1200. You stand to benefit from its energy cost reduction ability after spending so much to procure and install the pump. Pool owners who migrate to variable speed pumps recover their cost of the energy pump quickly.
Q: How long should I run my variable speed pool pump?
A: Pumps with a variable speed filter should last longer, depending on the operating speed. Most pool owners operate the pump at a variable speed for 12 hours a day (3-4 hours at high speed for the pool cleaning system, 8-9 hours at low acceleration for filtration).
The Best Variable Speed Pool Pumps
An informative and detailed review of the 13 best variable speed pool pumps available in the market helps with the selection process. The ideal variable speed pool pump can be different for different customers based on their priorities or limitations when it comes to its price, features, convenience, energy savings, durability and functionality.
Each variable speed pool pump reviewed on this list has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Staying true to your priorities can help you make the best decision possible and is the key to a satisfied and happy purchase.