UPDATED: Mar 03, 2020.
Variable speed pool pumps have many advantages over traditional pool pumps both in terms of performance and savings. However, with so much competition out there the question is what is the best variable speed pump for your pool needs?
The best variable speed pool pumps come from reputed manufacturers who offer the highest quality equipment at the most reasonable prices.
Selecting the right variable speed pump for your pool requires quite a bit of research and looking around. Hence, an ultimate review guide with the 7 best variable speed pool pumps is provided to make the search process a lot easier and also help in confident purchase decisions.
At a Glance: Our Top Recommendations for Best Variable Speed Pool Pump:
- Best overall: Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo
- Best rated variable speed pool pump: Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo
- Best 1 HP variable speed pool pump: Harris H1572748 ProForce
- Best 2 HP variable speed pool pump: Hayward SP3202VSP
- Best 3 HP variable speed pool pump: Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L
- 1 The 7 Top-Rated Variable Speed Pool Pumps
- 1.1 1. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo
- 1.2 2. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo
- 1.3 3. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo
- 1.4 4. Hayward SP3202VSP
- 1.5 5. Harris H1572748 ProForce
- 1.6 6. Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump
- 1.7 7. Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Variable Speed High Performance Pump
- 1.8 8. Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump
- 1.9 9. Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix
- 2 Things to Consider Before Purchase
- 3 The Best Variable Speed Pool Pumps
The 7 Top-Rated Variable Speed Pool Pumps
This article reviews the 7 best variable speed pool pumps available for sale. The review process is based on several carefully selected factors including customer reviews, supplier credibility, benefits, warranty, features and value.
This detailed review looks at the pros and cons of each variable speed pool pump and why it ought to be considered for your pool needs.
The reviews not only help inform customers about a product’s many features and benefits but also presents them with fair weaknesses in order to make more informed buying decisions.
1. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo
- Extremely energy efficient
- Very quiet compared to other models
- Built-in timer with 8 variable speed options
- Reputable manufacturer
- Extremely powerful 3 HP pump
- Ideal for large sized pools
- Requires a professional for installation otherwise it voids the warranty
- Reprogramming the pump can be challenging
Pentair is a well-renowned manufacturer of quality pool equipment at reasonable prices. The new IntelliFlo variable speed high-performance pool pump keeps Pentair’s reputation alive of being an innovator and leader in the pool equipment category.
The IntelliFlo is extremely energy efficient thanks to its 8 programmable speed settings and built-in timer that result in a fully automated pool pump experience that saves you both time and money. In fact, the IntelliFlo is perhaps the most energy efficient pump on this list and a great choice if low power consumption is your ultimate priority.
It is highly recommended to understand and adhere to the warranty terms and conditions when purchasing this product for the best protection in case anything goes wrong during use.
2. Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo
- 65 HP motor
- Heavy-duty construction
- Energy efficient – 8 different timer options
- Well-reputed manufacturer
- Great value for the price
- Relatively easy to install
- A little low on power in comparison to a single speed pump
- Not the easiest to use control panel
The Hayward MaxFlo VS is a well-built pool pump that is designed to be energy efficient and long-lasting. Its simple yet functional design makes it a great replacement pump as its size and design are fairly universal.
The motor is powerful enough for medium sized pools and its various settings allow for the most efficient cleaning and filtration process.
The Hayward MaxFlo VS is also extremely easy to assemble and install which makes it a great buy for new pool owners who want something that is affordable and requires minimum attention once setup.
3. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo
- Compact and durable design
- Relatively easy to assemble and install
- 5 HP motor ideal for small to medium sized pools
- Control system is easy to program and operate
- Competitively priced
- Ultra-quiet TEFC motor
- Not the best warranty terms
- Requires professional installation in order to safeguard manufacturers warranty
The Pentair SuperFlo VS pump is a slightly less powerful version of the Pentair IntelliFlo and much more affordable making it ideal for residential medium sized pools. The compact design allows it to be installed with ease and it has a super quiet yet powerful motor that is perfect for pulling large volumes of water.
The Pentair SuperFlo is a sturdy, energy efficient and long-lasting variable speed pool pump that is built for reliability, affordability and durability. Works great as a replacement pump and helps save a lot of energy and money. This makes this variable speed pump a real bargain for the price.
4. Hayward SP3202VSP
- Ideal for medium and large sized pools
- Powerful 1.85 HP motor
- Durable construction and design
- Huge energy cost savings in comparison to traditional single-speed pumps
- Digital control panel that offers 8 custom timer options
- In-built safety features
- A tad on the expensive side
- Maybe a bit too much on the technical side
This Hayward variable speed pool pump is one of Hayward’s top of the line models that comes with many features when it comes to safety and convenience. It uses a modern digital interface to regulate water flow in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
The Hayward also comes with many other added features such an in-built diagnostics that protect against priming failures, voltage fluctuations and temperature extremes. This makes the Hayward safe to use and much more reliable making it a great investment for your pool.
5. Harris H1572748 ProForce
- Unbeatable price
- Well engineered heavy duty construction
- Easy to install and maintain
- Fast shipping
- Silent operation
- Large filter basket
- The warranty is next to none
- No variable speed options for better energy efficiency
The Harris is by far one of the most affordable pool pumps on this list. It’s simplistic and compact design makes it easy to install and the large filter basket makes it easy to maintain.
The Harris lacks some of the more advanced programming features of more expensive models and is not as energy efficient but that makes it less complicated and much simpler to use.
If you are in the market for something inexpensive, simple and durable than the Harris might very well be the right choice for you.
6. Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump
- Fan cooled 1.65 HP TEFC motor
- Minimum energy consumption
- Easy to use fully programmable digital control interface
- Extremely easy to install
- Ultra-quiet motor makes for silent operation
- Universal compatibility
- A tad on the expensive side
This Hayward super pump checks all the boxes when it comes to performance, functionality and value. Equipped with premium features and compatible with competitive control systems the Hayward Super Pump is the ideal replacement variable speed pool pump.
The ultra-quiet motor paired with a fully programmable digital control interface makes pool maintenance and cleaning a breeze all while saving you money thanks to its energy management system.
This is a safe purchase for anyone looking to purchase a high-quality variable speed pool pump. Made to last and well priced this Hayward is a popular choice amongst pool owners.
7. Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Variable Speed High Performance Pump
- Pump life is extended
- Advancement in filter and chlorinator performance
- Aids in lowering algae buildup
- Allows additional pool feature without lowering efficiency
- 90% energy savings
- Not compatible with some systems
- Poorly designed
The IntelliPro Variable Speed Pump is a pioneer in technology. It’s the pool pump that has catapulted the revolution of energy savings. This product was quick to receive multiple positive reviews from professionals in the pool industry, pool owners, and even public utility companies.
Its noiseless activity, reliability for the long term, and efficient energy usage is, however, what is getting its reviewers excited. This pump has cultivated the field-proven growth, also, which allows this pump brand to outsell other speed pool pumps within its class.
8. Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump
- Operates super silently
- Has a durable controller
- Energy efficient
- Designed and built extremely well
- Easy installation
- Poor quality control
- Low flow in low speed
The Pentair 340042 Superflo High Performance Energy Efficient Two-Speed Pool Pump runs with superior quietness. It has unionized fittings –1.5 inch internal slip and 2 inch external slip.
For almost 50 years, Superflo pumps have been a product of ingenious hydraulic engineering. This style of engineering plans have resulted in pumps that are able to move water in an efficient manner. In addition, these Superflo pumps run quieter and more energy efficient. This pump made by SuperFlo is a candid restoration of the Haywood Super Pump.
As a result of Superflo pumps innovative construction, its performance is effortless with less overall damage. The consequence is a longer life and better rebound of your expenditure of this pump.
9. Hayward SP15932S PowerFlo Matrix
- Large strainer basket for debris collection
- Horizontal/vertical discharge feature
- Dual-speed settings allow for better energy utilization
- Silent operation at low-speed setting
- Extremely cost-effective
- Rigid and stable construction
- Fast delivery
- Only suitable for above-ground pools
This Hayward PowerFlo is a dual-speed pool pump that is primarily designed for above ground pools. Its horizontal/vertical discharge feature is a convenient option that helps save on expensive plumbing during install. Its durable construction coupled with excellent functionality makes this a viable investment for any above ground pool.
In terms of energy consumption, the dual-speed motor on this Hayward is much more efficient than single speed motors of the same performance. The slow speed option allows for a more thorough cleaning process that adds to water clarity and minimizes energy wastage.
Things to Consider Before Purchase
Choosing the right variable speed pool pump can be a big decision as this product is likely to last for a considerable amount of time and can be a substantial investment for any pool owner.
There are specific details, features, benefits and drawbacks of each variable speed pump that need to be fully considered before making a purchase decision.
The size of your pool can often dictate the level of performance one would require from a pump to circulate and filter water comfortably without being overburdened. For most medium sized pools it is recommended to use a motor between 1.5 – 2.0 HP for best performance.
Larger pools require bigger motors producing more horsepower in order to pull such large volumes of water on an ongoing basis.
The entire idea behind purchasing a variable speed pump is the level of energy savings one receives. The best variable speed pumps can save up to 90% energy as compared to traditional single speed pumps.
The cost savings amassed from using variable speed pumps can often equal the extra cost paid for the pump in less than one season of use.
Both the internal and external components should be made of high-quality durable materials for increased longevity and reliability.
The best variable speed pumps come with in-built safety features that protect the motor and electrical components from voltage fluctuations, water and chemical hazards as well as extreme temperatures.
Most variable speed pumps require professional installation in order to get the best performance. However, modern variable speed pumps now have compact designs and are manufactured in a way that makes them very easy to install if you any experience at all when it comes to pumps.
It is always recommended to use a professional when setting up a pump for the first time as this helps safeguard warranty terms and ensures optimum performance.
What type of warranty is being offered by the manufacturer and on what terms?
The Best Variable Speed Pool Pumps
An informative and detailed review of the seven best variable speed pool pumps available in the market helps with the selection process. The ideal variable speed pool pump can be different for different customers based on their priorities or limitations when it comes to its price, features, convenience, energy savings, durability and functionality.
Each variable speed pool pump reviewed on this list has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Staying true to your priorities can help you make the best decision possible and is the key to a satisfied and happy purchase.