You may be as curious as I am on how many gallons fill up a hot tub? Well, to determine how many gallons fill up a hot tub, we have to first consider that each hot tub comes in a different range of size, shape and depth. These three factors put together affect how many gallons a hot tub can hold as a small hot tub can contain 300 gallons of water while a large one may hold up to 700 gallons.
Knowing how many gallons of water will fill up your hot tub can be of good use to the tub owner. It can help figure out numerous other information from if the tub will contain 2 persons, 4 persons, 6 persons or even 8 persons to how much chemical will be needed to keep the amount of water clean to the final weight of the tub with water in it. There are so many other situations this information will help solve. So, we would look into how we can track this information.
How to Figure Out How My Gallons are in a Hot Tub?
There are two tried and tested methods that can determine a hot tub’s true capacity. These methods are timed filled method and dimension calculation method. They both involve solving a bit of calculation and you can be rest assured that whatever answer is gotten would help the user know if their tub can accommodate 2 persons, 4 persons, 6 persons or 8 persons. Let’s get started.
The Timed Filled Process
The time filled process involves calculating the amount of time it takes a tub to be filled with a hose. All that’s needed involves filling up your tub with a hose, take note of how long it takes to fill up, calculate the rate of flow of the hose, and you’ll figure out how many gallons will fill the tub.
To perform this step:
- Turn on your tap connected to a hose and calculate the time it takes the tub to fill up using a timer.
- When the tub is full, stop the timer and take note of the time.
- To find the number of gallons it will take your tub to be filled.
- You need to fill one-gallon rubber or jar with water.
- Record the time it took to be filled then divide that time by the time it took your tub to be filled. The answer is the number of gallons it will take your tub to be filled.
The Dimension calculation method
- To conduct the dimension calculation method.
- We need to measure the external dimension of your tub, either square or round, which involves the width, length, and depth of your tub.
- Multiply the external dimension by each other.
- Divide your result by 1728 which is the number that converts cubic inches to cubic feet.
- Multiply your result by 2.4 if there are seats in the tub or 4.8 if there are no seats. Your answer is the total capacity in gallons.
To note the quantity of water that fills up a specific size of hot tub depends on the number of people it was designed for. For 2-person hot tub, it’s usually between 170-220 gallons of water. For a four-person hot tube, it is between 220-260 gallons. For 6 persons hot tub, it is between 325-375 gallons while an 8-person hot tub would accommodate 615-675 gallons of water.
These are the two easiest ways to find the number of gallons your tub needs to be filled. They are both tested and trusted method, so you do not need to worry for fear of inaccuracy.