UPDATED: Jan 09, 2020.
Robot cleaner has become an indispensable part of a cleaning regime nowadays due to the numerable benefits offered. With multiple players in the market catering to different genres, it is always a tedious task to choose the best one which can perfectly justify the amount spent and can suffice your requirements perfectly.
Roomba and Neato have emerged as the two notable leaders in the market offering a variety of robot cleaners suiting every budget and requirement. Over the past few years, Neato’s cleaners like D7 Laser Guided Robot Cleaner and D4 Smart Robot cleaner have gained attention for their advanced features.
While Roomba has always been known for introducing models like Roomba 690 and iRobot 980, catering to the needs of many.
However, the core mission of both companies is similar and hence they are introducing the high-tech cleaners one after another with sophisticated features which are dedicated to clean the mess most efficiently.
- 1 Reviews of two best robot cleaners each by Neato and Roomba
- 2 Comparative Analysis Between Neato and Roomba
- 3 Conclusion
Reviews of two best robot cleaners each by Neato and Roomba
So, if you are also confused among the contesting robot cleaners, here we have selectively picked two popular cleaners from each company for a detailed review:
Let’s discuss the two most popular Robots cleaner by Neato first.
Neato Robotics D7 Connected Laser Guided Smart Robot Vacuum
If you are expecting a high-quality vacuum which can be scheduled easily to clean the debris of wide array, Neato D7 connected could be the one to be considered.
With minimal maintenance, this root cleaner comes with several high-end features like extended battery life, low sound cleaning, three ultra-performing filters, and Alexa compatibility.
This cleaner has derived its name as ‘connected’ for its smart capabilities which enable to control using Amazon Alexa, Neato App, Samsung SmartThings and Google Home and Assistant. You can use your Wi-Fi router to instruct this cleaner even sitting remotely. Isn’t it amazing?
- D-shaped design to ease the corner-cleaning
- Spacious dustbin up to 0.7 liters
- Quick boost charging
- Easy to set up with detailed manual instruction
- Laser smart technology for mapping
- Ability to save up to three maps
- 99% of allergens are picked up by three ultra-performing filters
- Efficient suction to pick up minute debris
- Ideal for pet hair cleaning
- One of the quietest robot vacuum on board
- Versatile cleaning for hardwood, carpets and kitchen tiles
- Few users complain about its getting struck while cleaning
- Prices are on the higher side
Neato Robotics D4 Connected Laser Guided Smart Robot Vacuum
Named accurately with its 2.4 GHz connection and laser-guided navigation, this advanced robot cleaner comes with app control features and support for Apple Watch besides Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
Virtual barriers of this robot prevent it from entering the high-traffic zones stuffed with delicate things. To ease the use and extend the performance Turbo mode boost is available.
It comes with a battery life of 75 minutes which is sufficient to clean a single floor. Like the other robots under Neato series, it has been deliberately shaped as ‘D’ to serve improvised corner and edge cleaning.
To detect the physical collisions, the front part of this cleaner is equipped with the safety bumper.
- Laser-Guided room mapping and navigation
- Great suction to pick up minute debris
- Apple Watch support
- Easy to set up and use
- Efficient cleaning with smart battery charging
- Supported by IFTTT and voice assistant
- Neatly integrated dustbin filter
- Compatible with HEPA-style filters for people with allergies
- Impressive wide spiral brush
- Side weeping brushes are not available
- Only Single floor mapping is possible
- Edge and corner cleaning performance is not great
As we have reviewed the most renowned products from Neato, it’s time to analyze the popular products from Roomba in detail.
iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum
It is a great piece of equipment if you are looking for a budgeted robot cleaner with an app to control. With its compatibility with Google Assistant and Amazo Alexa, you can schedule the cleaning of your house even remotely.
It offers 3 stage cleaning system and an efficiently pick up all sizes of debris and dust to ensure efficient cleaning.
The advanced sensors in this cleaner avoid bumping while cleaning. With the low height at 3.6 inches, it can easily sweep under the furniture pieces. Once run out of charge, it automatically moves back to dock to gear up for the next cleaning session.
Lowest maintenance on account of emptying the dustbin and changing the filter, the great suction capability of this cleaner makes it a great deal to explore.
- Wi-Fi controlled via iRobot app robot vacuum cleaner
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa
- Ideal for the house with pets
- One of the lowest price models from Roomba
- The acceptable running time of 60 minutes
- Auto-charging when experiences low battery
- Auto-adjust cleaning heads for different floor surfaces
- It comes with patented dirt detect sensors to clean dirt centric areas efficiently
- Full suite intelligent sensors to clean the floors thoroughly
- Sturdy design to compliment your contemporary decor
- Room mapping is not available
- Gets stuck at times and does not return to the dock
iRobot Roomba 980 Robot Vacuum
A self-sufficient cleaning device with two primary rotating brushes and an additional spinning brush at the side. It comes with a removable dustbin with centrally located buttons to ease the use.
It facilitates manual cleaning and comes with LED indicators for troubleshooting, full dustbin, dirt detection, Wi-Fi connectivity, and battery charging
To protect the sensitive areas of your house, Halo mode is available. Three distinct buttons are available for manual control. It facilitates automatic scheduling along with efficient cleaning.
It is certainly an impressive robot cleaner with interesting features to ensure hassle-free cleaning for its users. Overall, it is an efficient floor cleaner.
- Two cleaning passes available for an extra cleaning with Carpet boost
- Battery life for continuous cleaning up to 2 hrs on standard leaning mode
- Auto-adjustment heads for different floor cleanings
- Enabled with wi-fi connectivity to schedule remotely via Amazon Alexa or Smartphone app
- Lithium-Ion battery for long-lasting and consistent powerful suction
- Floor tracking and other additional sensors for efficient cleaning
- Low-resolution camera for efficient mapping and higher accuracy
- Two virtual walls powered with AA batteries to define boundaries
- Matte finish with a compact design
- Simplified interface with three buttons only
- Competitive transition with the great cleaning capacity
- Higher noise level as compared to its competitors
- Not compatible with third-party devices
- Pricing is on the higher side
Comparative Analysis Between Neato and Roomba
Now we have discussed so far the various pros and cons associated with the renowned models from both Roomba and Neato, it’s time to make a comparative analysis between the two.
The Roomba outnumber the variety of models to offer as compared to the Neato. However, each model boasts a certain number of features marking their distinction from the others.
When it comes to choosing on the basis related to the factors like smart features, suction features, power settings, and other special features, Roomba models are preferred choices.
With a wide range of models available to cater the needs of a specific genre, iRobot vacuum take a lead. However, choosing from a wide range of models can be confusing if you are not sure about your requirements.
Hence, it is important to acquire in-depth knowledge about the various features to make a robot cleaner an ideal choice.
When it comes to cleaning the edges and the corners of your house, nothing can beat square heads of Botvac models from Neato. So, if you have lots of angles and walls, Botvac brushes are the ideal choice due to their enhanced size.
However, when it comes to sucking power, it is equally important to ensure efficient cleaning. If you go for high-end Roomba models, sucking power is the first thing you are assured with besides other incredible features.
Especially, if you own a pet, the spiral-like brushes of Roomba models are highly efficient in cleaning the dust and debris from high dirt prone areas.
HEPA filters’ is another technology which is specifically important for people with dust allergies. Most of the Roomba models are compatible with the HEPA filters technology. Hence, depending on your requirements, you can choose the best one.
While most of the Roomba models are either high-end with advanced technology or high on pricing or budgeted models targeting the low-end market with an affordable range of $200 – $350.
Neato models primarily focus on the mid-range $400 – $750. However, there are several high-end models also available with advanced features, extended battery life, and efficient cleaning features.
If you are experiencing frequent unexpected spills, Neato’s Botvacs are the best deals to explore. Many eco modes models are also available in the segment to save the battery life. For super-dirty areas, turbo mode is available with Botvac models to clean efficiently.
Most of the mid-range Roomba models also come with spot modes to clean the high spills. However, Roomba models do not offer many modes to switch between. The automatic sensors available in these models easily detect the dirt patches needing extra attention.
If you are looking for more control, Botvac models are preferred over Roomba as they are available with more mode options to switch.
Most of the high-end robot cleaners come with promising high-end features. While the Neato boasts the laser enabled navigation and mapping and sets the virtual barriers to keep the specific zones untouched, Roomba models come with learning algorithms and smart mapping technology to adapt to your ‘sensitive’ zones over some time.
Neato models can easily run back to its dock when out of battery, for a recharge to gear up for the next cleaning session. If you are looking for a spontaneous or quick cleaning, you can use the screen or buttons available on them.
Most of the Botvacs are compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. The cleaning pattern of the Roomba cleaners is primarily random with the given areas. Most of the high-end Roomba models are also compatible with Google Assistant or Alexa.
Few models also come with the smart sensor technology which prevents the robot to stumble on the staircase. Advanced Roomba can also empty their bins along with automatically returning to recharging stations.
When it comes to onboard controls, Roomba is efficient over the Neato models. Hence, Roomba models are having the edge when it comes to accessing smart features over Naeto models.
However, as every feature comes at a certain price, most of the high-end Roomba models are expensive.
Most of the Botvac and Roomba models come with an average battery life between 60-120 minutes. Depending upon the range of these models, the battery life varies.
While the budgeted models mostly have a battery life of 60 minutes, most of the high-end models have a battery life lasting up to 2 hrs.
If you are choosing a model with automatic recharge facility, a model with low battery life is not an issue unless you own a big house spreading across different floors required to be cleaned up.
Both Roomba and Neato offer the best of products catering to almost all the segments. While Roomba models are ideal for the open spaces with their random cleaning techniques, botvacs are ideal for the spaces having wider coverage with angles and wall with its laser-enabled mapping technology.
Choosing a brand is largely governed on your requirements and your budget. If you are looking for a high-end advanced robot cleaner, Neato’s Botvac as well as Roomba models are the ideal choices to consider. For budgeted segments, Roomba models have wider choices.
If you are looking for a mid-range product, Botvacs are promising. Unarguably, both Neato and Roomba are among the best brands in the market which keeps on thrilling the robot cleaner users with their advanced technologies year after year.