UPDATED: Jan 03, 2020.
Adjusting your spa and swimming pool chemistry is important to maintain a clean and healthy pool environment. It is also important to clean your pool when opening it for summer use in order to get rid of stains and debris that might have accumulated during the winter.
In situations where an acid cleaning or chemical balancing will be needed, most people will recommend muriatic acid. But this is a risky acid to work with, although it is effective.
So, what can you do? Here is the good news: use acid magic to clean and restore the chemical balance of your swimming pool. This acid has 90 percent fewer fumes than muriatic acid and it won’t hurt intact skin. Actually, acid magic is often referred to as The User Friendly Muriatic Acid.
What is Acid Magic?
It is a full-strength muriatic-based acid formulated to transport, use, and even store easier than ordinary muriatic acid. The acid clarifies, cleans, and etches just like traditional muriatic acid.
Acid Magic vs. Muriatic Acid
Acid Magic etches, clarifies, and cleans like a traditional 20 degrees Baume, 31.45 percent ordinary muriatic acid. Its special combination of ingredients doesn’t burn intact skin when it comes into contact with your body like muriatic acid.
Furthermore, acid magic produces less corrosive fumes when you compare it to muriatic acid even when in concentrated form. Therefore, it is very ideal for using both outdoors and indoors for cleaning and maintaining your swimming pool.
Also, you can use it to do other cleaning chores around your house. But also provide sufficient ventilation when working with any acid indoors.
Acid Magic Pool Applications
Acid magic lowes is used for different purposes in and around your swimming pool. The purposes are as outlined below but before that:
Acid magic precautions:
- Ensure that you protect yourself before using acid magic. Always wear gloves and eyewear.
- This acid isn’t recommended for all types of swimming pool liners.
- Also ensure that there is active ventilation when using the acid, especially when working indoors.
1. Acid Washing Your Pool
Acid magic works extremely hard to eradicate pool stains and produces better results than muriatic acid.
Diluting the Acid
To clean your pool, you need to dilute acid magic. Ensure that you dilute it in the ratio of 1:2 for acid to water. You can easily achieve this by adding a gallon of the acid into two gallons of water. One gallon of the mixture will clean about 100-300 sq. ft. of your swimming pool, depending on the condition and depth of your pool.
Should you require a stronger solution, simply add more acid to the water, until you get the desired result (full strength).
The process of Cleaning Your Pool
Here is the process to follow:
- First, clean your pool with a trisodium phosphate solution (TSP) to remove all oil residues.
- Work in small parts, starting in the shallow part of your pool.
- Apply acid magic solution with a slow pressure sprayer or sprinkling can. You can use a mob to apply on the walls. Take care not to splash on your body,
- Apply the solution to the pool floor liberally. You can scrub the floor using a soft bristle brush if need be.
- Leave it to settle for 5 minutes or until it gets clean. The best way to know if the pool is clean is to apply water on the surface if it gets absorbed easily, the pool is clean. If the water remains stagnant, do a second application.
- Rinse well after the application.
- Neutralize the wastewater and the pool surface by dissolving 2 oz TSP or soda ash. If you don’t neutralize your pool, the pH will be low when you fill your facility with water.
- Rinse and drain your pool again.
- Clean all the tools you have used with water.
2. Adjusting Pool Chemistry
You should test your pool chemistry regularly to adjust and maintain the ideal levels.
The pH is the most critical factor in pool water. It affects all other chemical balance in your swimming pool. The pH shows the relative alkalinity or acidity of your pool’s water.
The optimum pH should be between 7.2-7.8, anything less or lower will discomfort the swimmer. You can easily lower the pH level by adding acid magic in your pool. Carefully add this acid to the deep part of your pool and don’t pour it near walls.
You can also use acid magic to adjust the alkalinity of your swimming pool. Total alkalinity determines how the water resists the pH change. This acid can neutralize the capacity of water to resist to pH change in order to prevent a great variation in pH when a small amount of alkali or acid is added to your pool.
The recommended total alkalinity should be 60-180 parts per million (ppm).
3. Other Applications
In addition to the above applications, acid magic can be used for commercial, industrial, and residential uses including spa and pool, concrete, hardware, masonry, food processing, wastewater treatment, mining, oil field, and others.
Ideal Surface for Using Acid Magic
You can use this acid on the majority of hard surfaces such as plaster, tile, glass, concrete, granite, stone, fiberglass, brick, rubber, porcelain, most plastics, and some metals. So, you can easily use the acid to clean mots swimming pools without damaging them.
Do not use this acid on marble, wood, vegetation, polished granite, carpets, nylon, limestone, zinc, galvanized metals, and man-made fibers. Acid magic also reacts with oxidized metals, aluminum, and carbon steels – test before you use on any of these metals.
You can acid magic in almost any warehouse or storeroom. Its greatly minimized fumes allow for this without needing any special venting or covering, as is the case with muriatic acid. Therefore, store this acid on your shelves to ensure that it last longer and continue to provide the service of cleaning your pool and maintaining its chemistry balance. Note, the acid boils at 100 degrees and freezes at -50 degrees. It returns to its normal state easily.