An unclean pool not just looks ugly, can also become a home to mosquitoes, fungus, and other bacteria which can be a potent threat to your family’s health. The more you take pool cleaning lightly, the more stubborn dirt and debris become.
Cleaning your pool can be a major hassle, unless you’ve the right pool cleaner. If you’re looking for the best cleaner for you pool, this guide has you covered.
- 1 Consumer Reports On The Top 10 Pool Cleaners
- 1.1 1. XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum-generic Climb Wall Pool Cleaner
- 1.2 2. VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner in-Ground Suction-Side Vacuum-Generic Climb Wall Pool Sweeper
- 1.3 3. Zodiac Baracuda G3 Kit with Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Wall/Floor Cleaner
- 1.4 4. Zodiac MX6 In-Ground Suction Side Pool Cleaner
- 1.5 5. Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 1.6 6. Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 1.7 7. Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-518
- 1.8 8. Dolphin Triton PS Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 1.9 9. Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Cleaner
- 1.10 10. Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Inground Pool Cleaner
- 2 Pool Cleaner Buying Guide
- 3 Final Words
Consumer Reports On The Top 10 Pool Cleaners
Instead of hiring expensive pool cleaning services, a pool cleaner can get the job done for a long time to come.
After spending countless hours researching and interviewing pool owners, we have compiled a list of the top ten cleaners on the market.
1. XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum-generic Climb Wall Pool Cleaner
- Directly attaches to the existing filtration system
- Especially ideal for cleaning the floor and wall
- It has a simple design yet pretty efficient at cleaning
- Large particles can clog the cleaner
It’s an innovative and versatile pool maintenance equipment. It works on all kinds of pool surfaces – concrete, fiberglass, and vinyl. You will either need 1 HP swimming pool pump or a 1600 GPH to make the system function.
XtremepowerUS automatic suction vacuum-generic climb wall pool cleaner has a smart design. It’s adjustable. It comes with a diverter that makes it climb the pool walls efficiently. You can also use it in a different position by opening to redirect the return line water flow for thorough cleaning.
This pool cleaner targets algae and all kinds of small pool dirt and dust particles. It’s not ideal for cleaning leaves though. You can increase or decrease the water pressure by adjusting the spring to step 1 or 2.
2. VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner in-Ground Suction-Side Vacuum-Generic Climb Wall Pool Sweeper
- Affordable as compared to most other models in its class
- Cleans the floor, walls as well as steps
- Comes with a hose which saves you from the extra expense
- Can have a hard time cleaning certain walls
If you are tired of seeing debris, sand, and hair in the pool, Vingli pool cleaner will take care of all the mess. This cleaner will liberate you from spending your entire day scrubbing the pool floor.
It just takes a matter of minutes and your pool cleaner is ready to use. If you are worried about the noise produced by cleaners, the manufacturers have taken care of that. It operates quietly.
The cleaner easily fits with ¾ to 3 hp pumps or 1600 ghp. It comes with 10 hoses which makes it possible to clean big pools as well. The hose is made from scuff-resistant and durable material and it does not result in air leaks.
3. Zodiac Baracuda G3 Kit with Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Wall/Floor Cleaner
- Efficient at removing dirt, debris, bugs, twigs, leaves, sand, and pebbles.
- Finned disc ensures the cleaner works well on all pool surfaces
- Comes preassembled and is ready to use
- Might neglect small pieces of dirt
Zodiac Baracuda G3 Kit is an in-ground suction cleaner that promises to deliver powerful suction. It is compatible with low-speed pumps yet it offers maximum efficiency. It quickly inhales small and medium debris while cleaning the floor, wall, and steps of the pool.
The pool cleaner has a 36-finned disc to offer a wide cleaning path. It doesn’t just maximize the surface area but offers great suction for efficient cleaning. You will experience the difference through results.
The cleaner operates on the FlowKeeper valve that automatically regulates the flow of water for maintaining peak performance even if you are using a lower hp pump. It does not have gears, wheels or flappers therefore, it’s easy to maintain and use.
4. Zodiac MX6 In-Ground Suction Side Pool Cleaner
- Very easy to assemble and use
- Particularly known for climbing walls
- Features the innovative low flow design
- Might not be efficient in picking leaves and grass
Zodiac MX6 is a compact and powerful machine. Its innovative low flow design makes it ideal for pools with 2-speed and variable speed pumps. This automatic machine is programmed for cleaning the pool without hassle.
Its cyclonic suction makes it powerful at vacuuming and leaving the pool crystal clear without manual effort. The articulating turbine blade allows aggressive wall climbing. It’s great for cleaning small in-ground pools.
The quick-connect styled swivel hoses make assembly easy. You can regulate the water flow using the flow regulator so you don’t have to adjust the skimmer. The package comes with a weir valve, 90° twist-lock elbow, 7 x 1.2m twist lock hose lengths, flow regulator valve, hose float, and a hose protector.
5. Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Large top-access cartridge filters leave no type of debris behind
- Dual scrubbing brushes make the pool crystal clear
- CleverClean technology allows the unit to navigate the entire pool
- You might find it’s cord short
If you have always wished for a pool cleaner that operates automatically, you must check Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus. It has truly made cleaning convenient. With its weekly scheduler, you can set the machine to clean automatically. Choose from these 3 settings – every day, every other day or every third day.
It doesn’t need a booster pump to operate. Just plug the cord in and press the button to start the operation. It can clean pools up to 50 feet. Using the CleverClean technology, it cleans the entire pool and its advanced algorithm makes it reach all corners.
The patented swivel cable provided does not tangle. You can move the cleaner around with ease. Another advantage of Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus is that it is 8 times more energy efficient than suction and pressure cleaners. That means you will be saving energy.
6. Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Top load basket traps all types of debris
- Save 8 times more energy than regular pool cleaners
- The automatic operation offers hassle-free pool cleaning
- Some users have complained about the durability of its parts
It’s pretty much similar to Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus. The only difference is that it’s suitable for cleaning pools up to 33 feet and it has one active scrubbing brush.
It cleans the pool’s floor and walls effortlessly. 3 different settings are available for the weekly schedule. You just have to set it and the cleaner will be programmed for automatic cleaning. Unlike other pool cleaners, it doesn’t clean in random patterns. It reaches the entire pool efficiently with CleverClean technology.
Although it has one active brush, it spins 2 times faster than other standard brushes. This ensures that no stubborn stain is left behind. Just set the pool cleaner and let it do the pool cleaning on your behalf.
7. Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-518
- Large debris easily passes without getting stuck
- Tire treads make the cleaner ideal for all pool surfaces
- Does a fine job covering the entire pool
- Might stop during operation
It’s essentially designed for cleaning concrete pools. It’s available in 2-wheel drive to clean pools of sizes 16×32 inches. The self-adjusting turbine vanes are its patented feature. They offer maximum power at any flow and let you capture debris effortlessly regardless of its size.
Another patented feature is the tire treads that have enhanced its climbing ability and maneuver obstacles in between. Its adjustable roller skirt optimizes suction on the uneven surfaces as well.
Another cool thing about this cleaner is its multiple pre-programmed internal steering sequences. They make the left wheel reverse periodically, turn and move into another direction. This allows the cleaner to cover the entire pool efficiently.
Last but not least, the cleaner has 3 interchangeable throats to offer optimized suction at even a lower flow. If you have variable speed pumps, this suction cleaner is ideal to use.
8. Dolphin Triton PS Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- Des not lose its grip regardless of the type of pool surface
- Finishes cleaning the pool within 2 hours
- Does a fine job cleaning the floor, walls, and stairs
- A bit expensive as compared to other models
Dolphin Triton PS automatic robotic pool cleaner is a powerful tool for cleaning in-ground pools. It uses PowerSteam mobility for offering constant grip on vertical surfaces. Along with cleaning the pool surface, it’s also ideal for waterline scrubbing.
Dolphin Triton PS comes with an extra-large top-loading filter basket that can trap dirt, debris, and leaves. It also circulates the water to make sure the pool is sparkling clean. It will be done with its job in 2 hours.
Just like other Dolphin pool cleaners, you can also schedule it for automatic cleaning by choosing from the 3 settings available. The cleaner features front active brush that spins 2 times faster than standard brushes. You can tackle even the most stubborn debris on the pool surface.
9. Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Cleaner
- Flex power turbine makes it energy efficient than other models
- Features twist-lock hose for fast disconnection
- Ideal for covering a wide cleaning path
- You might find it is expensive as compared to most cleaners
Zodiac MX8 is another powerhouse. It uses the cyclonic vacuum technology to capture maximum debris without compromising on the cleaning power. To start using it, you must connect it directly to the skimmer or 1.5 inches dedicated vacuum line.
Unlike other cleaners, it covers the entire pool without handing up thanks to the X-drive technology. This also ensures the cleaner doesn’t hang up while navigating the pool. Zodiac MX8 cleans faster and more aggressively as compared to other cleaners. The X-Trax tires offer extreme maneuverability, climb the walls and reach tight corners and vertical walls.
Zodiac MX8 is great for cleaning in-ground pools. It works well on concrete, tile, vinyl, and fiberglass. To limit the flow of water through the cleaner, you can use the flow regulator valve.
10. Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Inground Pool Cleaner
- Fast and easy to set up
- Pool obstacles don’t make it stop doing its work
- Captures both large and small debris
- Some of its parts need replacement soon
It scrubs and vacuums even the toughest dirt. The Smartrac programmed steering technology makes the cleaner to navigate around the pool without getting stuck. It works well on fiberglass, gunite, vinyl and other surfaces.
You don’t have to assemble it to use, it’s ready to use straight out of the box. Its agile turning mechanism lets it escape different areas. It can be safely used for cleaning dish, incline, and hopper-bottom pools.
The bristle drive dislodges dirt and debris from the surface leaving the pool clean and hygienic to use. Whether its small or large debris, Pentair GW9500 wipes them all.
Pool Cleaner Buying Guide
Before you settle for a pool cleaner, it helps to know which features to look for. Consider these tips for help:
- Pool Size
Size of the pool is the primary thing to consider before making a purchase. The cleaner you opt for must be sufficient enough to clean the entire pool thoroughly.
Do consider the power of the cleaner before buying. It must be powerful enough to capture insects, dirt, debris and leaves. Along with power, the pool cleaner should be able to clean the entire pool within a couple of hours.
- Hose Length
The hose provided with the cleaner must have a long length. This makes it easier to cover the entire pool. Those hoses are preferable that are adjustable. This way, you can use the same cleaner for cleaning other pools. It’s useful if you have more than one pool in your home.
- Filtration System
Don’t underestimate the effect of the cleaner’s filter on its performance. The quality of filter greatly affects how well the pool will get cleaned. Pick a filter that works fine with dust, algae and even large debris like leaves.
- Quality Brushes
It’s hard work to remove dirt and debris from the pool. But pool cleaners with brushes make the job easy. It’s recommended to choose a cleaner with rotating brushes so that it can break even the stubborn dirt from the surface.
With these pool cleaner reviews consumer reports, you should be able to choose the best cleaner for your pool. These pool cleaners are equipped with the latest technology and modern features to leave your pool squeaky clean. They will be worth your time and investment.
You will get to spend more time enjoying the pool than cleaning it. Now that you know more about the top models, feel free to pick a cleaner that fits the size of your pool and cleaning expectations the best.