Shocking your pool on a weekly basis is usually a recommended practice. But that alone won’t keep your pool crystal clear. Heavy rainfall, excessive use, and signs of algae may demand extra care.
Using the best at home pool test kit available on the market can help you gauge the quality of water in your pool. This gives you a good idea of how much work and chemicals your pool needs.
At a Glance: Our Recommendations for Best Pool Water Test Kit:
- Best overall: Taylor Technologies INC K-2006 Test Kit
- Best salt water pool test kit: Taylor Technologies K-1766
- Best pool chemical test kit: Taylor Deluxe K-2005 Test Kit
- Best digital pool test kit: LaMotte 2056 Pro 7 Digital Pool
- Best home pool water test kit: Poolmaster 22260 Test Kit
- Best above ground pool water test kit: pHin Smart Water Monitor
- 1 Here Are The Best-Selling Pool Test Kits in 2021 ( UPDATED )
- 1.1 Taylor Technologies INC K-2006 Test Kit
- 1.2 Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
- 1.3 WWD POOL & Spa Water Chemical Test Kit for Chlorine
- 1.4 Taylor Deluxe K-2005 Test Kit
- 1.5 pHin Smart Water Care Monitor for Spas, Hot Tubs & Pools
- 1.6 Pool Master 5-way Test kit for Spa & Swimming Pools
- 1.7 Taylor Service K-2006C Test Kit
- 1.8 Taylor Technologies Inc. K-1766 Drop Test Chlorine & Salt Water
- 1.9 LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool
- 1.10 Taylor Technologies K-2005-SALT Test Kit
- 1.11 Blue Devil B7448 5-Way OTO
- 1.12 LaMotte ColorQ Pro 11
- 1.13 Pentair R151246 78DPD Test Kit
- 1.14 HTH Pool Test Kit 6-Way Test Kit (1173)
- 2 Buying the Best Pool Kit
- 3 What is The Best Swimming Pool Water Test Kit?
- 4 Conclusion
Here Are The Best-Selling Pool Test Kits in 2021 ( UPDATED )
Choosing the best pool test kit can be a hassle because not everyone has the necessary knowledge and experience. If you’re having a hard time choosing the best kit for your pool, don’t miss out on these top rated, highly recommended kits:
Taylor Technologies INC K-2006 Test Kit
- Easy to use
- Offer accurate results
- 75oz reagents for longer use
- Titrations to prevent the color-matching hassle
- DPD powder in K-2006 may be more accurate
Yet another nice offering from Taylor Technologies, the K2006 test kit does exactly what it promises. Within minutes, it can test your pools for combined/total chlorine, calcium hardness, pH, alkalinity, and cyanuric acid as well. It contains .75oz reagents and is fairly accurate.
The good thing is that you do not have to deal with color-matching problems because the tests are titrations. It performs quite well, but many people feel that DPD powder available in the K-2006 is much more accurate than the liquid reagents in the K-2005.
Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
- Easy to use
- Gets results within minutes
- Drop testing mechanism for quick results
- A bit expensive
- Instructions could have been simpler
The Poolmaster 22260 works great to provide you with everything you really need to keep your pool sparkling. Considered one of the best at home pool test kits, it lets you conduct tests for bromine, chlorine, Acid Demand, pH, and total alkalinity.
Something that sets it apart from other similar kits is its clear-view round test block that comes equipped with color chips. With these chips added, it is much easier now to get accurate information about color matching.
The availability of a polyethylene case is a welcome addition too, as it keeps those chemicals well protected. Although the instructions are simple, you may still become a bit confused between Phenol Red and #2 Phenol Red.
WWD POOL & Spa Water Chemical Test Kit for Chlorine
- It is a two-way test kit
- Features Easy to read instructions
- Comes with hard shell case
- The plastic kit is very cheap
This WWD Pool is a 2-way test kit specially made for testing Total chlorine, pH, and Bromine in the water. It comes with a hard shell case, a comprehensible comparator, and easy to understand color-coded instructions.
This test kit will save you a lot of money on chemicals by showing the levels of chemicals in your water. The reading will give a precise amount of the chemical substance present in your pool water to ensure safety and cleanliness.
If you need to know your chlorine level, this test kit is definitely suitable for you to use.
Taylor Deluxe K-2005 Test Kit
- Easy to use
- Suitable for regular comparisons
- Usable for nine tests
- No testing for iron or copper
In order to maintain safe pool water, you can trust the K-2005 kit from Taylor Technologies because it is known to provide precise testing. This high range kit is quite similar to other kits in Taylor’s 2000 series.
Used by public pool operators and service technicians, the kit makes use of printed color standards to help you find an accurate color match, which directly helps with frequent test comparisons.
You will find six different standards for bromine, chlorine, and pH. As a whole, you can perform nine tests using the complete kit, which makes it better than most other currently available kits in the market. Other tests you can perform include calcium hardness, acid demand, and total alkalinity.
The interesting thing is that the chemicals stay usable even after a year or so – there is actually no expiration date on the package, but if you have used a chemical, you can easily go for a refill. The only downside is that the kit does not test for copper and iron.
pHin Smart Water Care Monitor for Spas, Hot Tubs & Pools
- Compatible with all water types
- Works with both Android and iOS
- Provide adequate guidance on chemical dosing
- Features water history charts
- Comes with multiple pHin monitor replacement
- Difficult to operate manually
pHin automates the pool water by ensuring 24/7 monitoring and sending the notification to your smartphone when it rises to add a chemical. With this fantastic kit, you no longer have to be perturbed about unbalanced or chlorinated or water.
This kit is compatible with spas made from chlorine, bromine, hot tubs, and pools. This monitoring service will tell you exactly how many chemicals to add. Scan the barcode of a suitable chemical, and the app will compute how much to add to the water.
Pool Master 5-way Test kit for Spa & Swimming Pools
- This product is a 5-way test kit
- Suitable for maintaining pool water chemistry
- Comes with an easy-to-read indicator
- The color scale is of low quality
This Pool Masters Spa & Pool test kit is made with high-grade and super quality materials to provide exceptional testing performance every season. It is designed to keep your spa and pool healthy and sparkling clean.
This Pool master is undoubtedly the perfect option for maintaining the accurate water chemistry of your pool and spa. The sturdy polyethylene case to keep hold of all the essential components neat.
Clear view test block and the featured easy-to-read display panel makes chemical level testing more effortless than ever before.
Taylor Service K-2006C Test Kit
- 2oz reagent bottles for longer use
- Get fast and accurate results
- A printed color comparator included
- A bit expensive
Available in 2oz reagent bottles, the K-2006C kit is right up there in terms of performance and ease of use. This titration drop-water kit is known for providing accurate and fast results.
In no time, you can test your pool water for free and total chlorine, as well as acid/base demand, pH, bromine, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and stabilizer levels. Using it regularly will help you ensure that you are not over-treating your pool.
In the package, you will also find a printed color comparator, treatment charts, waterproof instructions, and an easy-to-use waterproof chemistry guide. The kit can also test the cyanuric acid. It is an efficient kit as a whole but maybe a bit expensive.
Taylor Technologies Inc. K-1766 Drop Test Chlorine & Salt Water
- Can conduct up to 17 water tests
- Provide more accurate results than strips
- Best combine with a saltwater chlorine generator
- The chemical reagents leave stains on the skin
The Taylor Technology K-1766 test kit is specially made to use with a saltwater chlorine generator. The commendable thing about this test is that you don’t have to battle with color-matching issues because the test is titrations.
It performs tremendously well by giving you accurate results. This product can also test chemicals in the saltwater swimming pools, and it comes with comprehensive instructions.
This kit’s chemical reagents produce within 200 ppm reading in a single dip, which translates to this kit can be used for at least seventeen water tests.
LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool
- Includes a photometer for accurate results
- Water-resistant casing
- Accurate testing for cyanuric acid
- Chemicals may not last long
The LaMotte 2056 is easy to use and quick, as you can test alkalinity within minutes. The addition of a photometer gives it an edge over its competition because you can get accurate test results using the digital meter. Not only can it test free and total chlorine, but it can also test calcium hardness, alkalinity, and cyanuric acid as well.
It is worth mentioning that the kit uses liquid reagents in general, but you will have to use tablets to test cyanuric acid. The good thing is that tablets can last 3 years, but chemicals for alkalinity may not last longer than a year.
Taylor Technologies K-2005-SALT Test Kit
- Easy to use
- Good value for money
- Suitable for nine tests
- May not be that accurate with salt testing
Known for manufacturing high-quality test kits, Taylor Technologies have again managed to impress the buyers with the 2005-Salt.
The kit contains 3/4oz reagent bottles for easy handling. You can rely completely on this kit to keep your pool in the finest condition, as it can test pH, chlorine, bromine, calcium hardness, and more.
It is advertised as a saltwater kit, which means it is quite suitable for saltwater pools as well. However, the price is a bit high though, and some users believe that it does not test salt levels with complete accuracy.
Blue Devil B7448 5-Way OTO
- Quite affordable
- Easy to use
- A plastic storage case for easy handling
- The color of the dye may fade after some time
The B7448 from Blue Devil seems to be an ordinary testing kit, but it is different in the sense that it is a 5-way testing kit to perform multiple tests at the same time.
To test the total alkalinity, you have to use the pale blue dye and count the number of drops it takes to turn it clear. You will find an easy to read color comparator to determine the results of the test.
For easy handling, it comes housed in a plastic storage case. It works reasonably well, though some people prefer kits where the total alkalinity dye changes color green to read for easy comparison.
LaMotte ColorQ Pro 11
- 5 drops are enough to start testing
- No need to rely on lookup charts
- Water resistant housing
- A bit expensive
This testing kit from LaMotte has really changed the way you can test your pool water for clarity and quality. It is actually a digital testing kit, a spa photometer to be precise. It comes in a water-resistant box that is extremely easy to handle and store.
You can use the kit to perform as many as eleven pool tests and get quick results on your digital display. You can easily test total chlorine, free chlorine, alkalinity, pH, bromine, and cyanuric acid. Unlike many other testing kits, it is also capable of testing copper, iron, and biguanide.
You will find a combination of testing tablets and liquid reagent to handle the task with more accuracy. You do not have to deal with any color matching, which takes the guesswork out of the picture and gives you accurate results. It may be a bit expensive, but it is well worth the money.
Pentair R151246 78DPD Test Kit
- Easily available replacement kit solutions
- Total chlorine testing
- Easier to compare
- Residue in the pool after the tablets dissolve
- The round sample tubes are hard to use for comparison
Measuring at 9” length and 14” width, the All-in-One DPD kit from Pentair is capable of testing total and combined chlorine, along with acid demand and much more.
Using this kit is a breeze, and it is usually enough to use it once a week in colder months. You may have to use it to twice a week in peak season to ensure that the pool water is not over-treated. The best thing about the kit is that it produces extremely accurate results.
By getting to know about the current condition of your pool, you can save on pool chemicals used for cleaning. The only issue some people have is that this tablet-based chlorine tester may leave some residue in the water.
HTH Pool Test Kit 6-Way Test Kit (1173)
- One kit usable for 100 times
- Give precise results for total chlorine test
- Possible to check total hardness
- Poor instructions
The HTH 6-Way kit will last for a long time, as you can perform more than 100 tests using one single kit. Use it in summer to clean your pool, and you will not have to run for a refill any time soon. It is capable of testing pH levels, bromine, chlorine, and total hardness. It can also test cyanuric acid in the pool.
It is important to mention though that you are likely to run out of the pH reagent rather quickly, but it is possible to order a refill online. It is not a deal-breaker though, especially considering the fact that it is a lot more affordable than Taylor and many other test kits.
The only real issue is that the instructions are not as clear as they could have been. The colored paper card is a bit cheap too, but it still helps you make a comparison.
Buying the Best Pool Kit
Many brands claim to offer the best at home pool test kit, but not all of them are effective. Keep these points in mind before buying your next test kit:
- Ensure it is easy to use and has color-coded reagent caps to proper handling.
- Opt for the kit that offers complete test instructions.
- Buy a complete test kit that is capable of testing pH, chlorine, and more.
- Ensure that it is accurate and offer true readings for all testing parameters. There should be some consistency in results too.
- The testing method used for a kit should be sustainable and help you translate the results into a maintenance action or treatment.
- The kit should have an appropriate design and avoid the use of brittle plastic or glass. It should be durable too, with some degree of tear-proofing and waterproofing going for it.
What is The Best Swimming Pool Water Test Kit?
The best overall pool water test kit is Taylor K-2006. It is designed to provide almost everything you need to keep your pool sparkling and maintain diagnosis. You don’t have to break your bank before you purchase this kit with its fair price.
The fact of the matter is that at home testing kits are quite effective, but be sure to pick the right brand with kits that are easy to use and accurate at the same time. Thankxx – Pool Cleaner Blog