UPDATED: Jan 05, 2020.
In this piece, we will review the Shark ION Robot Vacuum Cleaner R85. The R85 is an upgraded version of the R75, which is one of the most potent vacs today.
Let’s get into the review of the R85…
- 1 Shark ION R85 Specifications
- 2 Shark Ion R85 Design
- 3 Shark ION R85 Spinning Brushes
- 4 Shark ION R85 Charging Base
- 5 Shark ION R85 Parts and Accessories
- 6 Shark ION R85 Classic Shark Features
- 7 Shark ION R85 Maintenance
- 8 Shark ION R85 Pros and Cons
- 9 Final Words – Is the Shark Ion R85 Worth the Money?
Shark ION R85 Specifications
The R85 is a compact model that is also lightweight. Here are its main specs:
- Product measurements: 12.8 x 12.5 x 3.4 inches
- Product Weight: 5.51 pounds
- Batteries: Lithium-Ion Battery
- Floor-type: All (indoor)
Shark Ion R85 Design
One area that makes the R85 look like the R75 is the design. The cleaner has a round black body.
The Top Design
The boundary on the upper part is simple with a visible “CLEAN” button as well as 2 smaller buttons – “Max and Dock” for running at max power and sending the unit back to the charging station.
The Bottom Design
There is a central brush roll on the underside of the cleaner that is made of rubberized blades and spiral bristles. It makes the robot to be ideal for cleaning all surfaces.
The downside also has 2 side spinning brushes that help to collect dirt and take it to the path of the brush roll. These brushes also help in washing edges and corners.
Shark ION R85 Spinning Brushes
These brushes are a bit different from what you would get in most vacuum cleaners. One thing, they come with a single “arm”, while most brushes have two “arms”.
The bushes also spun slower when compared to most brushes out there. That speed helps them not to throw the dirt around, especially when cleaning hardwood surfaces.
Shark ION R85 Charging Base
The R85 comes with 2 types of charging base:
The standard charger boasts of simple design and is meant to be the home of the robot when it is done with the cleaning.
Charger with Handheld Vacuum
If you like the R85 cleaner but wish you had a handheld cleaner, then you should try out the S87. Here you get a package that includes the R85 and a compact (cordless) handheld vacuum that charges at the same base as the S87.
Shark ION R85 Parts and Accessories
The cleaner comes with a lot of accessories and parts that make it a leading robotic vacuum cleaner out there. They include:
- Charging base – As noted, the unit has a simple changing base. It rests here when the battery is drained.
- Botboundary strip – It is an 8 feet long strip that you can lay on the surface to prevent the machine from cleaning a sensitive area. You can cut the strip into small pieces.
The model does not come with extra spinning brushes or filter, but it is more affordable.
Shark ION R85 Classic Shark Features
The unit offers a lot of classic Shark features and a few new ones. That means that you can get some of these specs on other Shark vacuum cleaners.
3-Level of Suction
It comes with 3-level of suction that let you clean different surfaces. The two primary levels are:
- Low suction – The low suction uses the least amount of air when cleaning your floors. It is perfect for cleaning hard floors such as hardwood and tile.
- Max suction – The max suction uses 3x more air than the low suction and is perfect for cleaning high pile carpet.
There is also a 3rd level that is rarely used to clean anything.
It uses the Smart Sensor 2.0 Navigation when moving around your home. That means it can detect any obstacle to avoid knocking them.
One thing you should note is that it moves in a more sporadic approach. The unit zigzags on the floor, lightly knocking obstacles and walls and then charging to the opposite direction until the whole surface is cleaned.
Large Dust Bin
Also, the cleaner comes with a huge dust cup that is bigger than the R75’s model. The vast dust collector makes the machine to be the best choice for collecting pet dander and hair or cleaning high traffic sections.
That feature adds to the general performance of the R85 vacuum cleaner. You can connect it to your Wi-Fi network to control it through your tablet, smartphone, or Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa.
The cleaning performance of R85 is above average. Specifically:
- Hardwood floor cleaning – It can clean your hardwood floor without showing any sign of struggle. The robot collects debris from the floor, leaving no dirt behind.
- Low pile carpet cleaning – Also, the cleaner can clean low pile carpet just like the hardwood.
- High pile carpet cleaning – It will clean this floor, but it is not as effective as cleaning the low pile or hardwood floors.
Maneuverability and Usability
The usability of Shark ION R85 is quite good. It is easy and quick to unbox and comes with user-friendly controls.
Its app is similar to other robotic cleaner apps today, and you can use your phone to manage your machine. The app lets you schedule cleaning, control the device, and do more.
Shark ION R85 Maintenance
One thing that stands out is the maintenance of the machine. You should replace its filters if they are not functioning well.
Also, inspect the side brushes and the brush roll to ensure that they are working correctly. You should also get a new battery after a few years to continue enjoying the same cleaning time.
The manufacturer also offers a lot of replacement parts that you can use to replace broken sections, like battery cover and wheels.
Shark ION R85 Pros and Cons
The cleaner has some of these benefits:
- Very affordable
- Effective in cleaning
- Great features
- Long-lasting battery
It also has some shortcomings:
- Not for high pile carpet cleaning
- Zigzag movement
Final Words – Is the Shark Ion R85 Worth the Money?
The overall value of the cleaner is quite impressive. Its price is reasonable, and its performance is excellent. These features create a well-valued robotic vacuum cleaner.