UPDATED: May 19, 2019.
Have you had enough of hiring pool maintenance services every time you need to clean the pool? Taking out the leaves, debris, bugs, and hair is no easy feat. Plus, maintenance can get significantly expensive. The only way you can deal with this problem is to get a suction pool cleaner.
A suction pool cleaner is an automatic machine that connects to the suction surface of your pool’s plumbing system. It functions like a vacuum to filter the pool. Depending on the pool cleaner you choose, whether you go for Pebble Tec or any other brand, very minimal human effort is required for cleaning. It is hence fair to ask what is the best suction pool cleaner on the market.
At a Glance: The 13 Best Suction Pool Cleaners Discussed in Our Roundup:
- Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-518 (Top Pick)
- XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum (Top Rated)
- Zodiac Baracuda Automatic Suction (Editor Choice)
- Zodiac Baracuda G3 Kit
- VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Hayward 925ADC Navigator Pro Suction
- Hayward PHS21CST AquaNaut Suction Pool Vacuum
- Hayward 500 Aquabug Suction Pool Cleaner
- INTEY Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Inground Pool Cleaner
- Pentair 360042 Kreepy Krauly Suction Pool Cleaner
- Pentair 360100 Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Cleaner
- Pentair Rebel – Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner
- 1 Here Are The Best-Selling Suction Pool Cleaners in 2019
- 1.1 Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-518
- 1.2 XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum
- 1.3 Zodiac Baracuda Automatic Suction
- 1.4 Zodiac Baracuda G3 Kit
- 1.5 VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 1.6 Hayward 925ADC Navigator Pro Suction
- 1.7 Hayward PHS21CST AquaNaut Suction Pool Vacuum
- 1.8 Hayward 500 Aquabug Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner (Automatic Pool Vacuum)
- 1.9 INTEY Automatic Suction-Side Pool Cleaner in-Ground Vacuum
- 1.10 Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Inground Pool Cleaner
- 1.11 Pentair 360042 Kreepy Krauly Suction-Side Inground Universal Pool Cleaner
- 1.12 Pentair 360100 Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1.13 Pentair Rebel – Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner
- 2 Suction Pool Cleaner FAQs
- 3 Things To Consider When Choosing Suction Pool Cleaner
- 4 Summing Up
Here Are The Best-Selling Suction Pool Cleaners in 2019
Want to get the best suction pool cleaner that’s worth every penny? Look at this list of 13 best ones:
Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000-518
This model is available in 2 or 4 wheel drive. You can pick either depending on the size of your pool. This suction pool cleaner comes with self-adjusting turbine vanes that offer maximum power no matter what flow you choose. Its debris management is commendable too.
It also has patented tire treads that enhance climbing and obstacle management. The adjustable roller skirt optimizes suction even if it’s used on uneven surfaces. The multiple pre-programmed internal steering sequence ensures that you have full pool coverage.
The 3 interchangeable throats enable optimal suction performance even on a lower flow or with larger debris passage.
- You can count on it to make your pool spotless
- You are free to adjust the suction power by turning the knob
- You will have wide coverage with 4 wheel version
- Its parts are a bit expensive
XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum
XtremepowerUS Automatic Suction Vacuum consists of 10 hoses that let you cover a 30-inch pool. It is an ideal machine for cleaning the bottom surface and the wall. It has a freely moveable flapper to prevent all debris from lodged inside.
You can use it in different positions to redirect the water flow for cleaning the pool above ground and in-ground. It works with 1 hp swimming pool pump and 1600 GHP. No electricity is needed to operate it. All you have to do is attach it to your existing filtration system.
Make sure there is no air in the hoses while it is running.
- It is perfect for cleaning pool walls
- Very easy to assemble and works great
- It has a flexible design that supports thorough cleaning
- The water flow is weak
Zodiac Baracuda Automatic Suction
Zodiac Baracuda Automatic is a compact and powerful suction side pool cleaner. It features the best-in-class vacuum power. Its programmed navigation lets you clean the pool without any hassle.
Then innovative low flow design consumes less energy than regular cleaners. It works best with 2 speed and variable speed pumps.
The cyclone suction makes it powerful at its job. The turbine blade is responsible for aggressive wall climbing.
Zodiac Baracuda Automatic suction pool cleaner is very to assemble all thanks to quick connect style. With the flow regulator, you can control the flow of water as per your need. The unit also includes 8.4 m hose, hose float, hose protector, flow regulator valve, weir value, and twist lock elbow.
- It operates on a self-cleaning system
- It’s easy to assemble and use
- You can save money by running the pump at a lower RPM
- It stops working when clogged with leaves and debris
Zodiac Baracuda G3 Kit
Zodiac Baracuda G3 is a suction pool cleaner designed for in-ground pools. It’s also an automatic pool cleaner that cleans pool walls efficiently. It can remove debris, bugs, dirt, leaves, twigs, and pebbles.
Its flowkeeper is a self-adjusting control valve that regulates the water flow automatically for maintaining its performance even if it is connected to a pump with a lower HP. It doesn’t require any tools for installation.
The unit comes with a 36 ft. hose and scrub sic. The wheel deflector lets you navigate the unit around corners, steps, and the pool ladder. It has an anti-stick design so you can easily cover the entire pool.
It is one of those automatic pool cleaners that doesn’t make that hammering noise. It is tough yet quiet. You can use it on gunite pool surfaces, fiberglass, tile, and vinyl.
- It is pre-assembled and ready to use
- It doesn’t flapper or produces hammer noise
- It does its job automatically
- Some users find it hard to put together the hose
VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner
Don’t want to spend the whole day scrubbing the pool floor? Then get yourself VINGLI automatic pool cleaner. This pool vacuum cleaner is simple to assemble. It does its job quietly and effortlessly.
With 10 hoses, you can easily clean a bigger pool. You won’t have to contact a professional cleaner to clean the pool for you no matter what the size.
The unit is equipped with premium rubber disks, making it suitable for title, vinyl and concrete surfaces. It tends to reach every corner of the pool, the steps, and the wall.
- It has a functional design
- It is easy to set up and use
- It’s a perfect solution for budget-conscious homeowners
- It is a bit complicated to balance the suction
Hayward 925ADC Navigator Pro Suction Pool Vacuum has great suction. Its SmartDrive technology makes the cleaner move in predetermined series of turns to clean the floor, coves, and walls of your pool. The unit itself is powered by the filtration system that efficiently captures all dirt.
It connects within 10 minutes and you don’t need any tools for assembly. It works silently and effortlessly. On average, it takes about 3 to 4 hours to clean the entire pool. It cleans better and faster than regular suction pool cleaners.
- SmartDrive steering makes it do the job effortlessly
- It doesn’t need an energy-consuming booster pump to operate
- It has good speed and great cleaning pattern
- The pool cleaner doesn’t climb all types of walls.
Hayward PHS21CST AquaNaut Suction Pool Vacuum
AquaNaut Suction Pool Vacuum is a 2 and 4 wheel drive pool vacuum cleaner featuring AquaNaut patented self-adjusting variable vanes. This technology helps to maximize power no matter what the water flow. Even large debris can pass the unit easily.
It has pre-programmed internal steering sequences to cover the deep and shallow ends of the pool. It can also reach the pool walls. You don’t have to put much effort into maintaining it.
The patented adjustable roller skirt maintains the suction on uneven surfaces too. It is best to use the suction pool cleaner with a variable speed pump.
- It is easy to install and use
- It offers maximum power regardless of the flow
- You can use it on uneven surfaces too
- It doesn’t reach the corners of the pool very well
Hayward 500 Aquabug Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner (Automatic Pool Vacuum)
It is one of those above ground pool cleaners that can clean pools of all shapes and sizes automatically.
It has a unique turbine system that’s responsible for balanced water flow. The best part is its quiet operation. The contoured head design makes it complete the job in minimal time. It takes less than 10 minutes to install it. The deluxe bumper ring minimizes friction letting it move easily along the entire pool.
It operates from the filtration system of the pool. With the SmartDrive steering, it will readily reach all the spots you need to clean.
- The installation takes less than 10 minutes
- It ensures your pool remains clean all the time
- It is great with water circulation
- Lots of users have complained it stops moving in between
INTEY Automatic Suction-Side Pool Cleaner in-Ground Vacuum
INTEY automatic pool cleaner is carefully designed to remove dirt, debits, sand, and hair from the pool. The INTEY suction cleaner has premium rubber disks that offer a wide cleaning path.
The cleaner comes with 12 free hoses. They don’t discontact even if you are using them at a higher HP. This makes it ideal for cleaning a larger pool.
The scrub function lets it wipe clean algae and bacteria from the surface. It’s perfect for those homeowners who want to keep their pool clean all summer long by staying in the budget.
- It is easy to set up and use
- It removes dirt and debris fairly quickly
- The scrub function lets it target algae and bacteria too
- The steering pattern is random so it can miss multiple spots
Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Inground Pool Cleaner
Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly great white inground pool cleaner reaches the depth of dirt and grime and leaves your pool sparkling. Its bristle drive mechanism knocks lose even the most stubborn dirt stains.
It can cover 15 inches cleaning surface. It’s best for gunite, fiberglass, and vinyl surfaces.
It features SmartTrac patent steering that makes navigation around the pool easier and uninterrupted. For safety, the vacuum port door fitting features spring loaded cover. It won’t get stuck anywhere because the unique turning mechanism lets it escape to different areas.
- It effectively loosens stubborn grime
- It doesn’t get stuck in one location while cleaning
- It even reaches the shallow end of the pool
- It may spin in one place
Pentair 360042 Kreepy Krauly Suction-Side Inground Universal Pool Cleaner
Pentair 360042 Kreepy Krauly suction pool cleaner is based on the drive float directional system. It cleans the entire pool from the water line to its bottom. The automatic valve regulates water flow automatically. You can set it to an ideal speed for thorough cleaning.
It comes with roller strap that maneuvers the cleaner around the ladder and the steps. The cleaner wings, on the other hand, channel dirt, debris, and leaves into the filtration system. You will get floor to wall coverage.
You can sit back, relax and let this pool cleaner take care of everything.
- Powerful suction makes it remove large and small debris
- The regulator valve adjusts to the water flow automatically
- No tools are required for the installation
- If left unsupervised, it can get stuck in a corner
Pentair 360100 Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner
Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark is a newly designed suction pool cleaner that can make your pool as good as new. It can target even the toughest grime with its dual band of nylon bristles. The bristles combined with powerful vacuum removes the stubborn debris.
It can cover10-inch wide path without disappointing you. No assembly is required. You just have to hook it to the hose and it is ready to use. Programmed cleaning ensures the entire pool is cleaned and no missed spots are left behind.
- Its slow knocking vibration ensures debris does not spread around
- Bristles target the toughest grime
- It’s simple to assemble and use
- It moves a bit and then gets stuck
Pentair Rebel – Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner
Pentair Rebel – Automatic Suction Pool Cleaner in 2 wheel design offers you great maneuverability to reach even tight spaces and target the hidden debris. It can reach places typical cleaners miss.
The Sure flow turbine design makes it easier for the dirt to pass without causing a clog. The programmed cleaning cycle continuously cleans the pool while you sit back and relax.
- It is easy to setup
- It does a reliable cleaning job by reaching the corners of the pool
- It has outstanding maneuverability
- Its parts are not durable
- It clogs up often
Suction Pool Cleaner FAQs
How To Install A Suction Pool Cleaner?
A suction pool cleaner is very easy to install. It is attached to the skimmer using the main circulating pump. Find the return line fitting and turn it downward. Assemble the hose by connecting it to a dedicated suction line and twist lock the male end of the hose into the large end of the elbow. Remove the skimmer basket and insert the valve cuffs and connect the flow keeper valve. Submerge the hose and fill it with water.
How To Use Suction Pool Cleaner?
Once you have installed the suction pool cleaner, the pump will suck water from the swimming pool through pipes. This water is channeled to the filter which agitates it back through other pipes. As the pump forms suction, this drives the vacuum to move the cleaner around the pool and do its job.
Robotic vs Pressure vs Suction Pool Cleaner
Robotic cleaners are usually powered by a transformer. They have their own filter and pump which means they work independently. They do not need the filter or pump of the pool. A robotic pool cleaner is powerful as compared to a suction pool cleaner.
As the name implies, a pressure pool cleaner uses water pressure to do its job. It also operates with a booster pump. It requires a separate debris bag for leaves and other debris. It is meant for cleaning the base of the pool. It is the most powerful types of pool cleaners.
Suction pool cleaner connects to the filtration and skimmer of the pool. It moves in circles around the floor as well as walls of the pool to remove debris. It is affordable and it is a reliable tool to clean your pool without calling for professional help.
Things To Consider When Choosing Suction Pool Cleaner
Consider the following elements when you are still deciding which suction pool cleaner to buy:
- Type Of Pool
Suction pool cleaners are ideal for cleaning small and medium-sized in-ground pools. They work fine on vinyl, gunite, fiberglass, and concrete surfaces. Be sure the pool cleaner you choose is suitable for the size as well as the type of floor.
- Booster Pump
A suction pool cleaner is connected to the pool’s existing filtration system. However, there are some cleaners that need a booster pump for speeding up the flow. While shopping, determine if the pool cleaner you are planning to buy works fine without a booster pump. Otherwise, you will need to incur another expense for buying a booster pump.
Never underestimate the role of a hose in pool cleaning. While the vacuum is doing its job, it is the hose that is scraped and abraded on the floor and walls of the pool. If the hose is delicate and it can damage easily, you won’t be satisfied with the cleaning. Make sure the suction pool cleaner you are choosing comes with a hose that is scuff-resistant.
- Noise-Free Operation
- Nobody likes the loud noise of a pool cleaner in operation. You don’t want to annoy your neighbors also. Therefore, pick a suction pool cleaner that doesn’t create any noise.
Making a decision about picking a suction pool cleaner shouldn’t be complicated now. Save your time and pick from the ones reviewed above. You must understand that if it is your very first experience using a suction pool cleaner, you may run into some problems. It’s perfectly normal and that won’t mean you have bought the wrong pool cleaner. Give it some time and you will learn how to make the most out of this investment. Happy shopping!