Are you asking yourself what is the best suction pool cleaner on the market today? Do you own a swimming pool or are you responsible for cleaning one and making it look good? Then you understand how hard it’s to clean this facility. You spend lots of time cleaning it, which you would spend doing other stuff.
Thankfully, there are auto pool cleaners which might help you to clean your pool without much hassle. Sadly, getting the best suction pool cleaner might be hard and thus, we want to look at these products.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a suction cleaner?
- 2 How Does a Suction Pool Cleaner Work?
- 3 Suction Pool Cleaner vs. Robotic vs. Pressure
- 4 Top 7 Suction Pool Cleaner and Reviews 2019
- 4.1 Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale Above-Ground Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 4.2 Red Leopard Orbit Premium 18-Inch Swimming Pool Suction Vacuum Cleaner
- 4.3 BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 4.4 Hayward 2025ADV Pool Vacuum Pool Cleaner
- 4.5 Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Cleaner
- 4.6 The PoolCleaner Automatic 4-Wheel Suction Cleaner for Concrete Pools
- 4.7 Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Cleaner
- 5 In Conclusion
What is a suction cleaner?
This is a cleaner that connects to the suction surface (the fittings and pipes that take water out of your pool to be filtered) of your plumbing. Often, this is your pool skimmer, although some pools have a specific vacuum line.
A suction cleaner function like a vacuum fixed to your pool’s filter system. The device travels along the base of your swimming pool and sucks up dirt or debris as it travels.
How Does a Suction Pool Cleaner Work?
A suction pool cleaner is powered by the pressure from your current pump system. In addition, it follows the following steps
- First, your current pump system sucks water from various areas of your swimming pool through different pipes. The water is channeled to these pipes by a pump near the filter. It is taken via the pipes and into the sieve or filter.
- The filter agitates it back out via other pipes, usually concentrated in another area of your pool. These steps keep your water clean and fresh.
- A suction pool cleaner is able to plug effectively into your current system. Your pump forms suction, which drives the vacuum to move the cleaner around the pool.
Here is a video that shows how a suction pool cleaner works.
Suction Pool Cleaner vs. Robotic vs. Pressure
Suction Pool Cleaner:
- A suction cleaner connects to your pool’s filtration and skimmer system to remove debris from the bottom of your pool.
- A suction cleaner move and circle around your pool floor as well as walls just like the pool’s drainage.
- This cleaner is effective at removing finer debris that settles at the base of your pool. Therefore, you will not need to scrub your pool regularly.
- A suction pool cleaner is very affordable when compared to a robotic one; however, it has some tech shortcomings.
- This cleaner need to be manually connected when you want to clean your pool.
- You need to clean this cleaner every time you finish cleaning your pool and also store it.
Robotic Pool Cleaner:
- A robotic cleaner is powered by a transformer that connects to a GFCI source and changes electricity to a very low voltage.
- This cleaner comes with its own filter and pump; works independently of your pool filter and pump system.
- It also has a computer chip to enable different programming settings and conveniently adapt to the need of your pool.
- A robotic cleaner is able to scrub and suck up debris from the base of your pool and the walls.
- A robotic cleaner performs better than a suction cleaner.
Pressure Pool Cleaner:
- A pressure cleaner uses the pressure of the water to assist propel it around your pool.
- This type of cleaner requires its own booster pump and also needs its debris bag cleaned and even changed.
- The cleaner works as effectively as a suction one and cleans mainly the base of your pool.
- This is the most reliable pressure pool cleaner today.
Here is video that shows the different between the three types of pool cleaners.
Top 7 Suction Pool Cleaner and Reviews 2019
Here’s what I think are the best suction pool cleaners on the market today:
Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale Above-Ground Automatic Pool Cleaner
The Hayward 900 is among the top rated pool cleaners that depend on a gear/turbine system to function. Therefore, if you consider this product as a must-have, then, this one of the best all-around vacuum cleaners on the shelves today. This is a product that keeps adults and kids busy watching as it moves across the base of your above ground swimming pool, moving flawlessly as it travels in precise patterns and collecting everything in its path.
Additionally, unlike other vacuum pool cleaners, this device is intended to be permanently fixed into the pool filtration system. Due to this, it isn’t possible to uninstall or even store it, but for a permanent system, it functions quite effectively. Actually, it doesn’t require another booster pump to function. All you need is to plug it in and switch it one and you are good to go.
The cleaner also functions as a circulation system to keep your pool cleaner – makes it cleaner than other suction cleaners. The machine is one of the best one the market and it moves easily and has a programmable steering pattern.
- Easy and fun to use
- Easy to install
- Bumper ring reduces friction
- Not possible to uninstall
Red Leopard Orbit Premium 18-Inch Swimming Pool Suction Vacuum Cleaner
Orbit is one of the best rated examples of a diaphragm driven pool cleaner. Its one-piece body is well balanced and when joined with the classic diaphragm beating at 360 times per minute, ensures utmost cleaning power, to provide amazing cleaning outcomes. The unique one-piece body means that there are no bolts, nuts, hinges, or clips to split, wear, break, or corrode. Additionally, the device has a single moving part, the diaphragm, and just 11 parts in total.
The simplicity and strength of this unit make it highly durable, economical, and effective to maintain and own. A powerful and strong machine, the orbit has a powerful heart to move it smoothly around your pool, vacuuming the debris. The device has four suction ports which make sure that all debris is picked up via a full 360 degree. This means that all the debris is picked not just in one direction.
Furthermore, debris on all sides is picked into the machine’s chamber and eradicated from your pool. The product also features a super wide cleaning disk that cleans your pool effortlessly. The box comes with deflector wheel, flow control valve, hose weights, 39 feet of sectional hose, control valve adapter, and the orbit cleaner.
- Suck well
- Moves effortlessly
- Comes with few parts
- A bit noisy
BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
This latest suction pool cleaner removes all kinds of debris, dirt, as well as other elements that make your pool dirty and unhygienic and is great for leaves. Furthermore, it promises specific features that are necessary to conduct a proper cleaning of your pool. It also boasts of high durability and doesn’t need lots of wheels, gears, or another type of extra material. The product also lasts long due to its good production.
The unit features long life hoses that increase its lifespan and also ensures that it is resistant to scuffs and other debris. The other great feature of this product is its self-adjusting flow valve that comes with a feature of effortless adjustment. It makes the unit fitted with right flow and in a balanced manner. The flow of your water may be fixed as per the need of your pool. This feature also builds up the performance of your cleaner.
Sometimes, there are tight and stringent areas that make the cleaning process of some area hard. Due to this, the machine comes with wheel deflector that sets the wheel to the narrowest and unclean areas of your pool where the leaves and algae are easily scrubbed out.
- Longer life cycle
- Simple maintenance
- No tools requirements
- Does clean pool steps
Hayward 2025ADV Pool Vacuum Pool Cleaner
Hayward 2025ADV pool cleaner is the best in ground suction pool cleaner on the market today. The unit hooks up to your swimming pool current suction port or skimmer and is driven by the pool filtration system. You don’t need other pumps or anything to drive it, and installation takes a few minutes (less than 10 minutes). As opposed to randomly moving in your pool surface, the cleaner is intelligently programmed to execute smart turns as well patterns, so that all areas of your pool get cleaned.
The product also comes with an advanced turbine tech that enables the pool vacuum to operate more silently than other vac-type pool cleaners. In addition, the turbine leads to effective energy use. The unit is powered by your current pool pump and thus you don’t need to have a secondary pump and it doesn’t use electricity.
The cleaner is able to remove all types of dirt such as algae, debris, leaves, and more. What is even amazing is that it empties the dirt automatically into your swimming pool system, so you do not need to worry about the debris when it’s vacuumed.
- Easy to install
- Silent operation
- Expensive to replace the motor
Pentair GW9500 Kreepy Krauly Great White Cleaner
Having a pool is fun but cleaning it is hard. Luckily, with the Pentair GW950, you are guaranteed to enjoy the ideal combination of tech and fun. With a bristle drive, this unit cleans deep while scrubbing tiny pebbles as well as tough dirt. It is able to clean and vacuum your pool and hoppers, inclines, and dishes your pool bottom. In addition, it features a 15 inches cleaning path – able to clean, scrub, and vacuum both the floors and the walls of your swimming pool. All these features make it the one of best cleaners for pebble tec.
When it comes to cleaning surfaces, this unit isn’t biased. It is able to clean any size and shape of an in-ground pool regardless of its configuration types such as vinyl, fiberglass, cement, or tile. The product even features a 32 feet long hose as well as classic design. What is even amazing is that it’s the only cleaner that features double rows of directional bristle that crash and loosens dirt, both large and small debris.
Its programmed steering enables it to move quickly and easily through obstacles to prevent any hand-up.
- Features an auto valve for regulating water flow
- Cleans excellently
- Features double rows
- Not durable
The PoolCleaner Automatic 4-Wheel Suction Cleaner for Concrete Pools
This product is suitable for all type of pools. It features self-adjusting turbine vanes that maximize its power and enable even huge debris to go through. In addition, it features an adjustable skirt for height as well as tire treads to climb the walls, making it the best suction side pool cleaner. The unit is able to cover the entire pool surface – even when the pressure is low. The unit also boasts of an internal program that enables it to steer itself through, turning the left wheel for reverse and also enable it to move in all directions.
With 3 interchangeable throats, the product is able to adjust its suction power at low pressure, so this is easily compatible with pumps of different speeds. The pool cleaner is able to move deep and long, cleaning the deepest sections of diving pools and the whole surface of huge pools. The product is able to move via irregular surfaces, perfect for cleaners that require cleaning swimming pools with concrete surfaces on the bottom to enhance traction for those with movement restrictions.
- Easy to install and assemble
- Pick up huge debris
- Able to climb up walls
- Hose connectors might leak
Zodiac MX8 Suction-Side Cleaner
This product will clean your swimming pool wall, floor, and remove all debris and dirt. And because it’s auto, the process will be quite simple. The unit comes with a 39 feet hose to attach to you pool plumbing and is very powerful and extremely fast to enable cyclonic suction functionality. When you compare it to other brands, this unit has an ultra-effective design for additional energy savings and thus a great unit for inground pools.
In addition, the device is able to cover a wider area than its rivals. This is possible because it has a bigger vacuum inlet for collecting even huge debris. It also features the max-drive tech to deploy better maneuverability and in turn enabling for better cleaning of your pool. The machine also uses dual suction to provide better vacuuming power, speed, as well as area coverage, all while using 30% less water flow. This makes the unit to be quite efficient when operating.
- Extremely energy efficient
- Uses a dual navigation technique for better cleaning
- Cleans better and faster
- Gets stuck regularly
BARACUDA G3 W03000 Suction Side Auto Pool Cleaner is one of the best pool cleaners on the market today. This cleaner removes all kinds of debris, leaves, as well as other elements that make your pool dirty and unhygienic. The unit features long life hoses that increase its lifespan and also ensures that it is resistant to scuffs and other debris.