UPDATED: April 25, 2019.
Having an above ground pool makes holidays and special occasions that much sweeter. Nothing beats relaxing in a warm InTex pool to cool the heat of the day and while it can be a heavenly experience the cleaning isn’t as inviting.
Vacuums are a must have for InTex and other popular brands of above ground pools. Selecting the right one can make quick work of the task but which are the best above ground vacuums on the market for 2019? Take your pick from this high performing top 10 lists.
Top 10 Above Ground Pool Vacuums
These selections feature heavy duty high-quality designs that are built to last. They are cost effective and come with a variety of features that will make your pool cleaning a joy.
Dolphin Robotic Pool Cleaner
- The only setup required is attaching the power chord.
- It runs unsupervised freeing up your time for other activities.
- You can use this as often as desired without it wearing out.
- It does not ultra-filter.
- Sleep mode is activated after 90 minutes.
The Dolphin robotic pool cleaner removes dirt and algae using hyperbrush technology. The device is lightweight and provides users with an up to 90 minute cleaning cycle. Its one-year warranty coverage ensures you get the most out of this top-rated purchase.
Aquabot Pool Rover (Junior)
- This vacuum can clean a large pool without skipping spots.
- Replacement filters for this product are sold separately.
- Works well in any shaped pool even those with depth variations.
- The wheel piston can be faulty.
- Quality control on this pool vacuum may be low.
The Aquabot pool rover both vacuums and micro filters dirt, debris, and contaminants found in residential pools. Users have the option of 2 to 3 hour operating times and the power cable supplied with the device is 40 feet long.
XtremepowerUS Suction Climb Wall Pool Cleaner
- This design manages dirt and algae leaving pool spotless.
- It climbs walls on pools of various shapes and alternating depths.
- The life expectancy of this pool vacuum is 1 to 2 years.
- The flapper block may be faulty.
- It does not do steps in the pool.
The XtremepowerUS suction pool cleaner has weighted stabilizers that are used to keep the device balanced while cleaning. The eyeball divert can be used to adjust water flow. Hose length on this device is adjustable which helps to avoid tangling and other performance issues.
Aquabot Pool Rover (BLUE)
- Life expectancy is up to 2 years which is very economical.
- It fine filters which remove objects as small as pollen salt.
- Customer service attached the brand is exceptional.
- The hose can get tangled after a few uses.
- There is no remote control and therefore the device has to be controlled manually.
The Aquabot pool rover can navigate both in the ground and above ground pools. It can filter small particles and up to 80 gallons of water per minute. Each cycle lasts between 1 and 2 hours.
Hayward Aquabug Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- It is easy to set up with very few parts needed to run efficiently.
- Replacement parts are easy to get and affordable.
- This vacuum fine filters leaving your pool free of dirt and grime.
- There is a possibility your pool liner can be torn by this device.
- It may malfunction due to faulty parts.
The Hayward aquabug above cleaner works well in pools of any shape and size without skipping spots. Installation is quick and easy with an estimated set up time of under 10 minutes. This above ground pool cleaner works best on permanently installed pools.
Intex Pool Cleaner (Above Ground)
- Detailed instructions in the product kit makes setup and installation easy.
- It cleans large pools quickly and efficiently without skipping spots.
- This vacuum is designed to work with cohesively your already installed pumps.
- The hose joints can leak air.
- Quality control on this vacuum may be low.
The Intex pool cleaner is designed to work in conjunction with your existing filter pump granted it has a minimum GPH of 1600. Setup can be done in reverse to disconnect, clean and store your device.
Zodiac Polaris Turtle Pool Cleaner
- This design operates on your built-in filtration system.
- It can easily clean a large pool within a 2-hour cycle.
- The pressure adjustment valve allows your set the function of this device to your specific pool.
- Customer service with this brand may be poor.
- Hose storage can have an impact on the efficiency of the vacuum.
The Zodiac Polaris turtle pool cleaner is designed for shallow above ground pools. Not only will this cleaner vacuum the bottom of the pool but it also sweeps the walls and loosens debris.
VINGLI Automatic Pool Cleaner
- Efficient performance at an affordable price cleaning a full-size pool in just a few hours.
- Replacement parts are readily available through the manufacturer or online.
- This vacuum fully covers your pool including the floors and walls without skipping spots.
- Quality control may be low on this vacuum.
- Odd shaped pools with varying depths may present a challenge to clean.
The Vingli automatic pool cleaner comes with 10 hose sets, a regulator valve and a detailed instruction manual. Issues such as sluggish operation and pattern repetition is addressed and troubleshooted for consumer convenience.
Aquabot X4 above ground pool vacuum
- This design has a micro filter and provides pool owners with heavy-duty performance.
- Each cleaning cycle can run for up to 2 hours.
- It does not get stuck on corners and has easy to replace filters.
- This vacuum may not last longer than 1 year.
- It may be incorrectly packaged being shipped without the instruction manual.
The Aquabot above ground vacuum has two ultra-fine mesh filtration baskets which have the ability to collect large volumes of dirt and debris. It’s easy to clean with an automatic control panel that can be used to set cleaning cycles.
Pentair Kreepy Krauly E-Z Suction Pool Cleaner (Blue/White)
- This selection makes easy work of large pools.
- It vacuums the floor and climbs the walls.
- You can slow down or speed up the operation of this vacuum to adjust cleaning efficiency.
- The cleaning pattern may miss spots in larger pools.
- Its hose tends to tangle while cleaning.
The Pentair pool cleaner is an automatic vacuum that uses random cleaning patterns to free your pool of dirt and debris. It operates well with pools of various shapes and sizes while being powered by your pre-installed filters.
Quick Tips to Choose the Best Above Ground Pool Vacuum
If you want to understand the basics to choosing the a good above ground pool vacuum, consider these tips
Some above ground pool cleaners have a sleek professional design and travel with tracks instead of wheels which gives the device better traction. Other designs take the form of animals such as turtles that make a fun addition to homes with young children. Some selections are manual while others are automated allowing users to set cleaning cycles.
Manual cleaners can pose a challenge when it comes to cycles as these may last for just 1 to 2 hours. Some above ground pool vacuums enter sleep mode after an hour or so and must be restarted and reset after every cleaning cycle.
A cleaner can have an internal pump, however, may are designed to connect to your built-in pool filter. Vacuums connected to pool filters adjust based on the power of your pumps which requires a basic GPH of 1600.
Larger units use cartridges instead of bags to collect debris and can manage loads up to 60% more than regular cleaners. Not all models use micro filters so checking the manufacturer website should confirm the specs of your particular model. Micro filters can manage debris, algae and even fine dust particles leaving your pool clean and clear.
Many units have a minimum 1-year warranty while others offer warranties of up to 5 years. On average, you can expect a pool vacuum to last at minimum an entire year. This makes price an important factor in selection. Although some designs do not last as long as others, due to their low price range they are still more economical than more expensive brands.
In addition to a vacuum, some models also feature a brush that is used to loosen or scrub away had to remove contaminants. Scanners are sometimes used to optimize cleaning patterns and ensure random and efficient coverage of small and large above ground pools.
Cable length is vital when using a cleaner as it can affect the ability of your device to cover the entire pool. Using a cable that is too long is usually the source of a tangled hose which can cause damage to the structure resulting in leakage.
The customer service offered by some of these above ground pool vacuum brands is of very high quality. Customer Service Representatives personally contact consumers before the warranty expiration to ensure their product is in working condition.
Above ground pool vacuums can come in a variety of designs that are well suited to singles as well as families. They take the elbow grease out of cleaning your InTex pool and generally work well with pools of any shape or size. This top ten countdown of the best above ground vacuums to buy in 2019 has something for just about everyone.